#1 Edited by Danial79 (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Like many, I started reading Moon Knight with the Huston/Finch run, and then read each series that came after. However, as the character quickly became a favourite, I felt it my duty as a fan to go back and read some older material. I started on Marc Spector: Moon Knight, and as I wrapped that up, managed to get my hands on his first series. It went on from there, and I had finally read each of his solo series. However, it didn't stop there. I found all of Moon Knight's first appearances, and every early cameo, including Defenders. West Coast Avengers is where I'm currently at. It may seem like a obsessive, completest thing, but it's not that at all. As a fan, I just want to know Moon Knight's history so I can better understand him as a character (and authoritatively complain when a writer like Bendis messes up :P).

So, my question to you: Have you read Moon Knight's 300-odd backlog? If not, are you planning to? Have you perhaps done this with another character? If so, who?

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to. The series I'm looking for is Marc Spector Moon Knight, but sadly, every con I go to I have no chance to look for it.

Have you read it?

#3 Posted by Danial79 (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy0009e: Sure have. I found almost every issue in the $1 bin at my LCS.

#4 Posted by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79 said:

Like many, I started reading Moon Knight with the Huston/Finch run, and then read each series that came after. However, as the character quickly became a favourite, I felt it my duty as a fan to go back and read some older material. I started on Marc Spector: Moon Knight, and as I wrapped that up, managed to get my hands on his first series. It went on from there, and I had finally read each of his solo series. However, it didn't stop there. I found all of Moon Knight's first appearances, and every early cameo, including Defenders. West Coast Avengers is where I'm currently at. It may seem like a obsessive, completest thing, but it's not that at all. As a fan, I just want to know Moon Knight's history so I can better understand him as a character (and authoritatively complain when a writer like Bendis messes up :P).

So, my question to you: Have you read Moon Knight's 300-odd backlog? If not, are you planning to? Have you perhaps done this with another character? If so, who?

MK is my favorite too, but I haven't read that much issues. :)

#5 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't even finished the 2006 volume, just the first two trades and I dabbled a bit in Bendis' weird run. I've really been meaning to get Moench's stuff in Essential format, but I haven't found the time (or money). I really should, considering MK's one of my favorite heroes (and the one who introduced me to comics).

#6 Posted by daredevil21134 (11758 posts) - - Show Bio

I intend to this some day

#7 Posted by Danial79 (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: @veshark: @cyberwarrior: You guys really should. I'll let you know though, not much of the older stuff is "great", but for the most part it's at least "good". One thing I wish they would do now that they did a lot more back then, is have Moon Knight cameo in other titles. Back in the early days he appeared in Defenders, Spectacular & Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Power Man & Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther. If they did that, more people might get to know him without the need to invest in his solo titles.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79

Jeeez...the notifs system is messed up, didn't even get one for this.

I heard that the Sienkiwicz stuff is really good though, dark and noirish with compelling stories. I've also heard good things about the Marc Spector series. Really, I want to read more of MK, but most of his trades seem to be considered 'mediocre' by most. The Bottom was fantastic, it made me want to delve more into the character's history, but I'm very hesitant to spend dime on comics that might not be great. Not enough money and time and all that. Have you read Secret Avengers?

#9 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79: I have actually never read anything about Moon Knight, so I guess I'll start with that run you mentioned.

#10 Posted by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79 said:

@daredevil21134: @veshark: @cyberwarrior: You guys really should. I'll let you know though, not much of the older stuff is "great", but for the most part it's at least "good". One thing I wish they would do now that they did a lot more back then, is have Moon Knight cameo in other titles. Back in the early days he appeared in Defenders, Spectacular & Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Power Man & Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther. If they did that, more people might get to know him without the need to invest in his solo titles.

I'l give it a try, the Werewolf by night titles are told to be nice.

MK's appearence and participation in other titles would be great. Cameo's are too bit I think, let him speak a thew words and hit a phew bad guys.

#11 Posted by Danial79 (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure have. Brubaker's run was pretty good, but Ellis' run was awesome. Quite possibly the best MK I've read since The Bottom.

MK's appearence and participation in other titles would be great. Cameo's are too bit I think, let him speak a thew words and hit a phew bad guys.

His Werewolf by Night appearance was ok, but quite brief, and doesn't really fit with the backstory established later on. I also agree that if he's going to get a cameo, it shouldn't be just a background appearance. I know Dan Slott is a huge Moon Knight fan, so I'm just waiting for the day that we get a Moon Knight cameo in Spider-Man.

#12 Posted by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79 said:

Sure have. Brubaker's run was pretty good, but Ellis' run was awesome. Quite possibly the best MK I've read since The Bottom.

@cyberwarrior said:

His Werewolf by Night appearance was ok, but quite brief, and doesn't really fit with the backstory established later on. I also agree that if he's going to get a cameo, it shouldn't be just a background appearance. I know Dan Slott is a huge Moon Knight fan, so I'm just waiting for the day that we get a Moon Knight cameo in Spider-Man.

Yeah... like in Age of Ultron #4 - #10. He was meantioned on the last page but actually didn't do ANYTHING.