Marc Spector and the MCU

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gutwire

Hey I know a decent amount of us have discussed the Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely* (and other writers) interest in bringing Moon Knight into the MCU. I've noticed all of the different blog's, articles, videos, and forum posts that focus on Winter Soldier easter eggs describe the Spector reference as vague. Or is it?

Now that a few months have passed it is fairly easy to catch the roof top clip of Sitwell's stammering name drops. I watched it again because within all of these articles he is cited as saying "a man from Cairo". Well after watching the scene again, he actually says "TV anchor in Cairo"

Why is that important class?

Bendis and Maleev's forgettable run on Moon Knight offered a take on the character as a TV producer. It may seem like I'm diving too far into it but I feel it is worth noting because that could very well be the realism needed to bring him into the MCU prior to and even after Doctor Strange hits theaters. My logic is that, given the creative allowance he could easily be a fatally injured reporter covering war and unrest in Egypt. Maybe he can be caught in the Crossfire (rumored to be appearing in Ant-Man).

A fan can only hope right?

*I've seen Sphinx has been listed as a possible candidate from Egypt but as he's a villain I couldn't see how he'd be a threat or interest to Hydra. He also hasn't been involved in TV as far as I know and his more prominent tie to the MCU hasn't even shown up yet (see Nova).

Feel free to drop some commentary or better yet: Can you tell me why or why not any of this is plausible?

*This post has been edited as I originally had the Russo's as writers talking about Moon Knight interest when it was Markus and McFeely.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Anything's possible, though losing his mercenary background in lieu of being a news anchor seems like a huge backstep to me. It would mean he wouldn't have any weaponry/fighting knowledge and would not have amassed his fortune, both of which are key traits of the character.

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gutwire

@danial79: Hey thats a very good point. I wasn't justifying them doing that by any means. I just feel with the limited information we have about the targets, that would be the option Marvel would take. Also, If he were a reporter it doesnt mean writers couldnt ride the more mystical route and just heighten his fighting skills further through the deity Khonshu. Realistically he could simply be a "reformed" mercenary (could still be one) turned reporter with the latter needing more of an explanation. It all depends on how hes introduced, the time they dedicate to telling his story, or how well they can thread him into an MCU movie.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's possible

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@danial79 said:

Anything's possible, though losing his mercenary background in lieu of being a news anchor seems like a huge backstep to me. It would mean he wouldn't have any weaponry/fighting knowledge and would not have amassed his fortune, both of which are key traits of the character.

This. Also, the suit, rather minimalist mask and the news anchor job would just make him a Vic Sage clone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@danial79 said:

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I honestly dont know if they'd use the suit either in large or small role. More than likely it would be similar to the Civil War era/ Hurwitz Moony IMO. Again I think It would somehow be closer his origins as far as story. Sprinkle in some of Ellis's tone and Spectors attitude in the new series I think it would work. Of course its all speculation. His CIA background would make it very easy to run him into MCU storylines. Its been stated that theyve been working on bringing him in so clearly people have been at it trying to make it work and are facing the same questions we are asking.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hit_Monkey
Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: What are your hopes and fears regarding his introduction? If you think he'd be introduced at all.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@gutwire: I think that he ought to be introduced in the 'Defenders' Netflix line of shows coming up soonish. With his own show happening for phase 2/3 of Defenders. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an MK movie. I just think Spector's current vibe would work better as hour long episodes. Rather than a 2 hour picture.

If what I suggested goes ahead. I'd like to see Moon Knight in his suit most of the time. I like it. Looks suave as all hell and also because of Ellis's statement regarding Moon Knight's use of multiple costumes in the new series,

"He changes clothes a lot, depending on the gig. You know, like everybody does. There is no tactical advantage to showing up to every single situation in a giant air-scoop cape."

This makes sense to me. Moon Knight wouldn't wear his armour all the time eh? It's just not very practical. I would love, love, love to see his hood, cloak, armour to get decent screen time. I don't want him to turn up at a crime scene for a chat with Detective Flint about an ongoing murder investigation dressed in his armour. It's just far too 'Batman' and like Ellis suggested, it's also totally impractical.

Frankly, I really wouldn't mind if they mixed up his origin story a bit to fit into the MCU. Like say, instead of Spector being a Marine/CIA spook/Black Ops Operator/Merc. They just made him a coldhearted wetworks SHIELD agent who went HYRDA. Only to have the same crisis of conscience he had out at that dig in Egypt that lead to him becoming Moon Knight. It's a slight change to fit him with MCU continuity but it amounts the same endgame in his origin story. I could get behind that eh?

What ya think, mate?

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I can definitely get on board with it. If you think about it, AoS already has someone who has been given a second chance (Ward). He could even be a double-agent. The hard part to figure is, have they been working on a solo story for him or has it been simply to add him as a supporting role? We know he's not a huge team player and it would be much easier to tell his story in solo form. BUT he might be much more palatable to viewers, introduced in a series like Defenders as a key role without the spotlight. What if they use him in a manner that they turn him lose to do the dirty work- think El Duce from Boondock Saints but with a Heroes for Hire contract.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gutwire: You know, Ward. That could easily not be his actual name. He could be Marc Spector? And damn it, I think I'd be ok with that. Dude who's playing Ward isn't getting a huge role. That's just going by the new EP of season 2 but still? If they eventually wrote him off AoS completely and sent him off to be Marc Spector on Defenders. I'd be intrigued to see what happens.

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I dont watch the show (I keep up with it secondhand) so I cant say he'd be a perfect fit but I'm alright with it if you feel it works. I know as much that hes a psychologically damaged individual. That sounds like a certain somebody and falls in line with your idea also.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@gutwire: Yeah, Ward is a total mess of a person. He's just a stint as a shady merc away from being Marc Spector, really. Actually think the guy who plays Lucas Hood on Banshee is a dead ringer for Spector. It's even a little spooky. I'd like him to play him in a MK show or movie, ideally. Dude who's Ward in AoS would still get my attention though.

If it was Lucas Hood guy from Banshee. I'd still just have Spector as a former SHIELD agent turned merc with the bit at the dig in Egypt still there as the catalyst. Rather than a straight telling of the origin story from vol 1. It just seems a little cleaner in terms of plotting and it fits into the MCU's already established lore a bit more snugly.

gildas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gutwire said:

@hit_monkey: We know he's not a huge team player and it would be much easier to tell his story in solo form. BUT he might be much more palatable to viewers, introduced in a series like Defenders as a key role without the spotlight.

One option is to appear as a spin-off of the Defenders or better :of the Heroes for Hire.

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I never put two and two together until now but his name is GRANT Ward. Watched my first full episode tonight and I thought Steven Grant because Moon Knight #8 was fresh in mind. #IHopeItsAllConnected lol. I just want to see a live action take on him already even if its him as an agent or civilian right now.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@danial79 said:

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: Ward as a Marc Spector?.. Hmmm... A very big hmmm...

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: I did write that 4 months ago. The plot of AoS would not allow that now and anyway, these days. I think Ward's a good enough character to be his own thing.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I haven't wathched Aos for about free months by now, but perhaps I agree with you here)

Gutwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah at this point Wards character is certainly his own. I also wonder what direction the show will go on with the introduction to the Inhumans. Do they sprinkle them in? Do the make it integral?(Quake is kind of the elephant in the room as Skye was a huge part of the show.) Im very curious as to how it will all unfold.