gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

With each issue, I feel like I’m being spoiled. I’ve long professed my love for Moon Knight only to have those unfamiliar with him question why. Yes, Moon Knight has had a few series come and go but this series shows just how complex the character can be. Warren Ellis is taking an almost subdued approach to the character. Moon Knight has never been an upbeat Spider-Man-type character but because he would work with others in the past, he’d have some semblance of normalcy. Moon Knight is going down a slightly different path now. After picking up the pieces from his last adventure, we see him more focused on fighting evil. This issue also marks the return of his Mr. Knight guise, the fancy dressed version that is driven around in a white limo. But that’s not the only costume we see in this issue.

So far this volume has been a series of self-contained stories. In this one, Moon Knight comes across some ghosts. Yes, actual spirits are out causing havoc and the problem is, how can you stop a ghost when they can physically manifest themselves but you can’t touch them? The answer is pretty cool.

As if Ellis’ story wasn’t enough of a treat, we also get art by Declan Shalvey. Seeing the different looks he comes up with for Moon Knight have been fantastic. Ellis and Shalvey are carving out a little corner of the Marvel Universe for Moon Knight and it’s such a blast. Jordie Bellaire continues her amazing colors. She really enhances the tone set in each scene and it makes a great story even better.

The Bad

There is something fascinating about the self-contained stories. The downside is there doesn’t feel like there’s a connection between issues. If this continues, you know things will end and be wrapped by the final page. This issue, as with the last, left a tiny feeling of a lack of closure in the case.

The Verdict

I’ve waited so long for this MOON KNIGHT series. It’s finally time more and more are starting to realize what potential the character possesses. There are different layers to him and Warren Ellis is giving us interesting self-contained stories showcasing what he’s about. Declan Shalvey’s art and Jordie Bellaire’s colors set the vibe and tone of the series and readers can become immersed in the action. I find myself cherishing each issue and end up hungry for more as soon as I reach the final page. Moon Knight has a very calm but forceful presence in this issue. You can see he can accomplish what he sets out to. Ellis, Shalvey, and Bellaire need to stay on this book for a long, long time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

Ugh, Marvel needs to stop, I've already added Spider-Man, DD, Captain Marvel, Elektra and Black Widow to my pull..I can't afford anything else..but this looks radical!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This is a really great series for a Netflix show!!! This comicwas awesome!

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lena_Dante

Love the appreciation that CV has for Jordie Bellaire. Her colors seriously enhance a book for me (and perfectly compliment Shalvey's work), and her workload is ridiculous.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 tparks  Online

If done well, I think Moon Knight could translate to television better then almost any character from Marvel.

Also, loving the new series and the self contained issues. I'm glad he's not part of a long arc that involves all of the other characters in New York. I think Moon Knight does his best when he's on his own. No cross overs or tie-ins for at least 6-10 issues please!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@tparks said:

@daredevil21134 said:

If done well, I think Moon Knight could translate to television better then almost any character from Marvel.

Also, loving the new series and the self contained issues. I'm glad he's not part of a long arc that involves all of the other characters in New York. I think Moon Knight does his best when he's on his own. No cross overs or tie-ins for at least 6-10 issues please!

I couldn't agree more

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the character of moon knight but i dropped this series on the grounds of its just one shots and im not a fan of episodic story telling

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Fantastic issue! Might be my favourite so far.

@g_man Will we ever find out what it is you know about the future of Moon Knight that you mentioned on the podcast?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

O_O That cover!

Urliq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Urliq

Really liking this comic so far. I've always been a big Moon Knight fan, hoping this series lasts longer than the previous two.

2Wikipedia: Year 2 was a common year starting on Sunday or Monday of the Julian calendar and a common year starting on Sunday of the Proleptic Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Vinicius and Varus. The denomination 2 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I dropped this title because I wanted to add another to my pull-list but seems like I may have to put Moon Knight back on my pull-list and drop someone else. *sigh* Damn you Ellis, damn you.

I did absolutely love both the art and the story itself on the first two issues of Moon Knight and this issue looks to be no exception to that rule.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Three things I've unabashedly loved since I was a kid; comics, horror, punk rock. I kinda like the one shot style storytelling. Hasn't been a series like that since Jonah Hex ended. Also like how Marc has a different costume for different occasions.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Mezmero

This issue was awesome. I called the fact that Marc would split the four aspects of Khonshu into at least four costumes as opposed to civilian identities. He's somehow both saner and crazier than he's ever been. I can't wait for more of this amazing series.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: You're definitely not making it any easier to resist adding this title to my pull-list. I think I'll just bow to peer pressure and re-add this title to my pull-list.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to this so much, both issues before were top-notch, this is definitely one of the best Marvel titles out there.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By longbowhunter
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Nice issue. I love that Ellis can just sit back and let the art do the talking, and boy, does Shalvey and Bellaire's art speak.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EnigmaLantern
Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@k4tzm4n:

Chances of this getting in battle of the week?

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really hope that this series lasts a while. It could be legendary given enough time.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 owie  Moderator

I have really liked these so far. But they read so quickly! There's just not a lot of text, so I burn though them in a few minutes. A few minutes of a great story and great art. But I wish it could prolong itself somehow.

I hope they get back to the psychiatrist from the first issue soon. I'm curious as to what that was all about.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@owie said:

I have really liked these so far. But they read so quickly! There's just not a lot of text, so I burn though them in a few minutes. A few minutes of a great story and great art. But I wish it could prolong itself somehow.

That's my only concern at the moment. They just seem so short.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

lol I did not see any of this coming, very good issue.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another outstanding issue. The new costume here is seriously awesome. The incredible artwork alone does a perfect job of telling a story. Even the small panels with something as simple as him walking down the stairs look amazing.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know how well this book is selling?

The better it gets, the sadder I get knowing a terrific series like this probably won't last very long.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want this book to be around for a long long time

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 owie  Moderator

Does anyone know how well this book is selling?

The better it gets, the sadder I get knowing a terrific series like this probably won't last very long.

The first issue sold about 58,000, which is pretty good. I don't think figures for the second issue are out yet, but you'd have to assume some drop-off.

rprice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really enjoying this series so far and hooked on each issue, However I do hope that they create some type of story arc soon because I have so many questions about this character and want to know more about him especially concerning his mental illness. I hope that the writer gives us some details about him soon. It is true that the one shot issues are fun for now, but will get old soon if nothing changes. Thanks for the review. I definitely love this series!

DragonZnork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed that issue : the art, the storytelling, and Mr Knight being awesome as usual, especially the bone costume.

But I'm still afraid that the 1 book/1 story format could hurt the longevity of the book. Some longer story arcs (like 3 issues) could help to develop the character and keep the readers.

ffstrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ffstrat

Love the ghost fighter suit. Fun read!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, can't this trade come out any sooner!?

Bull_iod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really loved how this issue tied back to the story in issue 32 "When the music stops" from the original series. This new series goes from strength to strength, I am enjoying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@daredevil21134 said:

@tparks said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I couldn't agree more

I just wanted to add my agreement to both of your comments.

As for this particular issue, the art was fantastic. It fit the story perfectly and the story itself was amazing. Ellis is doing good on this one.

SnowyMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By SnowyMountain

Ellis does it again! After the around average 2nd issue, I was worried that he wouldn't be able to equal the 1st issue but he managed to astonish me for Moon Knight's latest issue. About the one weakness that this issue had was that it was rather short and I'm not familiar with the particular previous Moon Knight issue that this one ties into. The Mr. Knight outfit returns! And his Death Mummy Suit is totally freaking weird! In a good way that is.

I'm definitely wondering just what he has planned next for Moon Knight. After so many years of writers who have simply written him off as crazy or lite-version of Bat Man, MK is definitely moving into his own unique direction.

RATING: 4 and 1/2 STARS!!!!