What's the appeal of the Hulk?

• 83 results
HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

I've seen a lot of praise for Hulk titles around here, but he's never been a character I found even remotely interesting. So just out of curiosity, what makes the Hulk a likable/readable character?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The same can be said about any character. Its just who identifies with which character.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

I understand it's a matter of opinion. What I'm asking is: People who like the Hulk, what is it about his character/stories that appeals to you?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Ugh, there isn't any.

I hate Hulk.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@hecktate: Bruce Banner is an incredibly gifted yet utterly damaged individual that has uncontrollable powers of a god

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By w0nd

He basically does what people having bad days wish they could do, and i love it. plus his personalities make for some interesting stories....but that's also the reason why you can't even put him in any battles on here. You don't know what version of the hulk you will end up with so people just pick the strongest one, even if he currently isn't that strong.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

Banner's more appealing than Hulk ever was.

Ubersoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ubersoldier

Dark & Tormented, so edgy.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

the smashing.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phisigmatau

@joygirl said:

Ugh, there isn't any.

I hate Hulk.

this

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

One dude against the world kind of thing. Also the potential for lots of good action and of course Banner who most find more interesting than his destructive alter ego.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The classic stories, where he is hunted by the military were good. They portrayed the Hulk as the victim, he just wanted to be left alone and didn't fully understand why these fragile little humans kept provoking him.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mikex20: yeah. he was based off of the Frankenstein monster.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColaNicole

He's an ultimate rage machine who's big, green and doesn't wear a cape. I'm not a Hulk fan but I like the character for who he is.

Airmansmith21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am drawn to his stories because he symbolizes living life with stressors trying to cope with your life and when he finds tipping points he all out breaks

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an ultimate rage machine who's big, green and doesn't wear a cape. I'm not a Hulk fan but I like the character for who he is.

No Caption Provided

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never been a Hulk fan either. But I did love Planet Hulk and Waid's current series is pretty good too.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@joygirl said:

@colanicole said:

No Caption Provided

HELL YAH Atrocitus is so much more appealing than Hulk.

I usually only read Hulk for the Bruce Banner aspect, idk

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By batmannflash

@tektheninja: hey it's not like Hulk is such a gentleman either...

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TekTheNinja
LimboBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LimboBot

@joygirl said:

Ugh, there isn't any.

I hate Hulk.

you could have just said that.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TekTheNinja

Hulk is one of the greatest fictional characters ever.

at first glance Hulk might seem like a boring character, people often confuse him with a plot devise too, i mean a big green man who smashes things? sounds kinda repetitive, but really, it's not. Truth be told, you can't like hulk without liking banner, because it's the dynamic that really draws you to the character. Banner is a a wimp, he is really weak physically, yet he is put in charge of one of the most powerful beings on earth, and how does one deal with that? I mean how can this weakling control such a powerful beast ? thing is, banner is the personification of Will and Strength of character.

Hulk is everything banner has locked up his entire life, and the funny thing is, he never gives in, he always knows that giving in to the rage might cause some harm to others around him. this shows how powerful he really is, the "Strongest there is" line which hulk frequently uses is tied to banner, because it's his will power and Raw emotions which gives the Hulk power. We've all been there, we've all wanted to cut loose before, there is always that voice that keeps telling you that you really want to punch someone in the face. now imagine that only multiply it by a 100, and you might understand banners situation. Banner and Hulk hate each other, which means that in reality Banner hates himself, or at least This "aspect" of himself. Hulk could fight the biggest baddest villain in the Universe, and still the greatest Foe he ever had is himself, this "jekyll and Hyde" concept doesn't always work, but it does here, because Banner's Sympathy is what makes hulks rage so awesome, and it's hulks rage what makes banner sympathetic.

But the greatest thing is that Hulk himself isn't a monster either, he never hurts the innocents, and there have been multiple times where he has protected the people who had called him a monster, this shows that even at his worst, hulk is by all means a hero. This all comes from bruce banner. you can imagine his mind as a huge hallway of doors, with each door holding it's one secret(aka Hulk). did that image since in? good, because it's important. Hulk is a type of character you can't get bored with, which is funny because most people would disagree with me, but then again most people haven't read his stories and have no idea what they are talking about.

The writers did a very good job of giving Banner and personality disorder because that way we can have many versions of the hulk which manifests based on the different aspects of banner, therefore giving each hulk his own distinctive look and personality. We have Joe Fixit who represents banners wild, Brash teenage self, and we also have the traditional Savage Hulk who has a heart of gold yes is always angry and misunderstood. My personal favorite would be Green scar, a Noble hero who would sacrifice himself for his family and friends any day of the week. This brings me to my next point, with a character like hulk, he can be written in any genre. it could Be dark and gritty or it could be light hearted and fun. and IT would work, because when you have a character like superman, he best works best in fun light-hearted stories, but with hulk, that doesn't matter.

i've gone a bit of track here but the point is that hulk is an awesome character, the kind that has substance and depth. People can say hulk is boring but if that were true he wouldn't have had an ongoing for 12 F*cking years. This was a post by a True hulk fan, the One who KNOWS what he's talking about, so i hope i managed to convince you.

BEST ANSWER EVER!

F*ck Atrocitus. he got owned by Guy.

hell yeah.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hulk is a good fighting book. you want action he is the guy for you. its the supporting cast that makes and breaks his title. right now I love what maria hill is doing and his team ups with thor and dd were good. he also isn't a complete moron anymore which helps.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yeah well Hulk got knocked out by Captain America's shield-toss.

Deal with THAT.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

The appeal of Hulk and Banner is partially the readers finding something to relate to, lonely, not understood and so on.

And the simple one: because they like to see things get smashed. (same reason you've been in the theaters to see Pacific Rim)

@joygirl said:

@theacidskull: Yeah well Hulk got knocked out by Captain America's shield-toss.

Deal with THAT.

Atrocitus just got temporarily killed by Guy Gardner :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

at first glance Hulk might seem like a boring character, people often confuse him with a plot devise too, i mean a big green man who smashes things? sounds kinda repetitive, but really, it's not. Truth be told, you can't like hulk without liking banner, because it's the dynamic that really draws you to the character. Banner is a a wimp, he is really weak physically, yet he is put in charge of one of the most powerful beings on earth, and how does one deal with that? I mean how can this weakling control such a powerful beast ? thing is, banner is the personification of Will and Strength of character.

Hulk is everything banner has locked up his entire life, and the funny thing is, he never gives in, he always knows that giving in to the rage might cause some harm to others around him. this shows how powerful he really is, the "Strongest there is" line which hulk frequently uses is tied to banner, because it's his will power and Raw emotions which gives the Hulk power. We've all been there, we've all wanted to cut loose before, there is always that voice that keeps telling you that you really want to punch someone in the face. now imagine that only multiply it by a 100, and you might understand banners situation. Banner and Hulk hate each other, which means that in reality Banner hates himself, or at least This "aspect" of himself. Hulk could fight the biggest baddest villain in the Universe, and still the greatest Foe he ever had is himself, this "jekyll and Hyde" concept doesn't always work, but it does here, because Banner's Sympathy is what makes hulks rage so awesome, and it's hulks rage what makes banner sympathetic.

But the greatest thing is that Hulk himself isn't a monster either, he never hurts the innocents, and there have been multiple times where he has protected the people who had called him a monster, this shows that even at his worst, hulk is by all means a hero. This all comes from bruce banner. you can imagine his mind as a huge hallway of doors, with each door holding it's one secret(aka Hulk). did that image since in? good, because it's important. Hulk is a type of character you can't get bored with, which is funny because most people would disagree with me, but then again most people haven't read his stories and have no idea what they are talking about.

The writers did a very good job of giving Banner and personality disorder because that way we can have many versions of the hulk which manifests based on the different aspects of banner, therefore giving each hulk his own distinctive look and personality. We have Joe Fixit who represents banners wild, Brash teenage self, and we also have the traditional Savage Hulk who has a heart of gold yes is always angry and misunderstood. My personal favorite would be Green scar, a Noble hero who would sacrifice himself for his family and friends any day of the week. This brings me to my next point, with a character like hulk, he can be written in any genre. it could Be dark and gritty or it could be light hearted and fun. and IT would work, because when you have a character like superman, he best works best in fun light-hearted stories, but with hulk, that doesn't matter.

i've gone a bit of track here but the point is that hulk is an awesome character, the kind that has substance and depth. People can say hulk is boring but if that were true he wouldn't have had an ongoing for 12 F*cking years. This was a post by a True hulk fan, the One who KNOWS what he's talking about, so i hope i managed to convince you.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yeah but the difference is that our new RL writer is obviously biased against Atros since he killed him on the VERY FIRST ISSUE of his run. Plus, Atros will likely return with the Butcher in him and be a universe-buster.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spinningbirdcake

All Ya'll have defended Hulk much better than I ever would or could. I'll simply say that him being a giant green monster than does nothing but smashes things isn't a deterrent to me because he's a giant green monster that smashes things. That's enjoyment enough for me.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@manchine said:

The same can be said about any character. Its just who identifies with which character.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Exactly, it is ridiculous. And for people to say PIS is a myth... *facepalm*

rugrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i always thought the hulk was cool without question. most of the things i like about heroes are the powers and origins. Bruce banner was a nerd (sometimes a stupid one) and he has to deal with his life and affection which got more difficult when he became hulk.

basically its interesting i cant get much deeper because i haven't read much about the original