"True" Omnipotence in MARVEL fake???

Cara_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll "True" Omnipotence in MARVEL fake??? (35 votes)

Yes 31%
No 37%
Too complicated/complex to truly answer 31%

This has been bothering me a while

people have said

Pre-Recton Beyonder is Omnipotent

Odin is Omnipotent

TOAA is Omnipotent

Thanos with HOTU is Omnipotent

My question is

Are any of them "really omnipotent" in the MARVEL verse?

I mean did TOAA exist before PR Beyonder and if he did why was PR Beyonder considered Omnipotent?

Why do the writers on two different occasions state Odin is Omnipotent if he loses to Celestials and Galactus?

Why is Thanos with the HOTU equal or greater than TOAA if it's just an object?

Who would win in a fight if they were all in the same room?

• 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#1 SC  Moderator

I posted this elsewhere but it sort of applies here so I will post it again.

As far as omnipotence, it depends on how definitions are applied. Comic book forum fans are notorious for going by common sense type reasoning to justify assertions rather than establishing definitions, criteria and acknowledging and understanding loopholes and exceptions to claims and assertions. Writers also commonly use words to relay and convey meaning as far as story value rather than accuracy or validity, writers aren't trying to revolutionize science, theism or philosophy, they just want your money and praise.

Omnipotence by many definitions either isn't actually possible, or its relative and thus applicable more than once. Depends on the definition. Its a lot easier for omnipotence characters in fiction to exist than in reality, because its up to viewer discretion to buy the claim or assertion of the author of fiction. In fiction anything that can be imagined and communicated is possible even if it directly contradicts itself and even if its basically nonsense and incoherent. This is not true of reality and how we define things. Certain things by definition can't be contradicted and its up to evidence and science and proof that we basically give more value to what is demonstrated as more actual than not.

This is also why the TOAA is a good example of a projected omnipotent character, because its a meta character that makes reference to various real life creators. Any writer that would depict the The One Above All negatively and as not all powerful would run the risk of insulting Kirby's legacy in Marvel. Kirby's likeness has been used for TOAA before for example. Kirby is a huge name in comics and respected by so many creators inside the industry to a greater extent than Stan Lee for example. Jim Shooter on the other hand and what he did with the Beyonder character was a lot more polarizing and not as much of a tribute to any other real life person. Its much easier to deride and undermine that character even with its heavy association with Shooter. Either way the TOAA is more than just a fictional character, its a reference to real world creators that can do anything they want imagination limited to fictional reality. Just as a character? Its no more powerful than various other comic book companies projected end all stand in for prime movers, parallels to big G gods.

How can Odin be referred to as omnipotent? Well under the omnipotence is relative scenario, Odin's ability to create Earth like worlds, give life to creatures, mess around with reality to a degree, rule over a race of gods, these things suggest great power that allow him to do anything. He obviously can't do absolutely anything and everything, but neither can any other fictional character really. Under that same criteria though its possible to assert that humans are omnipotent from the perspective of an ant. This is also why Odin can lose to other characters who also may be labeled with that term. I believe the TOAA hadn't actually been as well established around the time if Beyonder's most powerful incarnation. Otherwise under the no characters are omnipotent scenario its just hyperbole intended to paint the idea that Odin is very powerful.

The TOAA would probably win, that character invokes the legacy of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, would have to be a brave writer to try and argue another character would win, especially as both Thanos and Beyonder are connected to Jim Starlin and Jim Shooter. It would almost imply that either those two guys are greater.

Cara_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cara_Hunter

@sc: Nice post :)

Elm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Awesome post.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By KingOfAsh

Two points I make with questioning the omnipotents...

1. If TOAA is omnipotent, why does he need the Living Tribunal to do all his work for him?
  2. During the Fantastic Four visiting the creator, the creator mentions his colaborator, which would put him as an equal to his collaborator.
Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

TOAA is truly omnipotent as well as omnipresent and omniscient. PR Beyonder was powerful but TOAA is still the absolute power in the Marvel universe. TOAA was the one who gave Thanos the HOTU which is a powerful item but only a tiny fraction of the TOAA. There are scans of Odin's early appearances with him claiming to be omnipotent. To that I say he obviously is not, he is a god to mortals but dwarfed by abstracts.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By warlock360

Here's some comparison

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/how-does-it-feel-to-be-omni-33363/

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman

TOAA is the only one who truly is.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warlock360

Oh and simple answer, some claims are untrue, but omnipotence exists there.

SkyRobo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two points I make with questioning the omnipotents...

1. If TOAA is omnipotent, why does he need the Living Tribunal to do all his work for him?
  2. During the Fantastic Four visiting the creator, the creator mentions his colaborator, which would put him as an equal to his collaborator.

1) Why does GOD need his Angels to do his work for him?
2) I don't read FF so I have no idea who the Collaborator is.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can have an infinite number of infinitely large objects in an infinitely large space while having each one have an infinite amount of distance between each other.

Infinity is weird.

TheMGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omnipotence=squirrel girl and batman with prep

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is omnipotent to. :)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Every time a character is presented as "omnipotent" that character is, sooner or later, proven to not be omnipotent when he/she needs help or is defeated.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are comic books - pretty much anyone who shows up in them more than once is going to get punched in the chops and have a tooth knocked loose sooner or later. Some writers obviously intended for things like the Infinity Gauntlet, the Beyonder, The Living Tribunal to be truly omnipotent at one time or another. Other writers have shown things differently. Life goes on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@sc: Awesome post, as always

There are no all-powerful characters in the Marvel universe. At least, not for long.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maddpanda531

I'm pretty sure that Wolverine is omnipotent.

Avatar image for officialrikudousennin
OfficialRikudouSennin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope toaa isnt omniponent

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

no.

depends on the story, event, circumstances and timeline.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOAA because he is the creator of marvel universe

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real power comes in the mind of the writer.

Can they see what they imagine and make you see it to.

Odin would be a power house with the ability to Juggle the universe and with that a multiverse of outcomes and see each outcome and then decide what path to take from all that.

He shapes changes he has been known to help humans out and test his sons very chance he gets. He has two wolves and two crows that do his bidding and they report all they see.

He travels allot and is seldom found just sitting on the throne wondering what is going on for he is a restless god.

The Beyonder and one of my favorite characters not thee favorite , Silver Surfer , Thor , Odin Superman.....but The Beyonder is up in the top. Can do anything he wishes. Holds the galaxy in his hand and can listen to every single life on a whim at the same time while drinking a pepsi and saying smile or else...

Writer is key , writer is all knowing , writer makes the story that sets the stage that lets you understand the power of Odin , the power of Thor , The power of Mighty Mouse and his quest to you know save the cheese , cut the cheese , it seems to be something about cheese.

In any case It is up to the writer , powers that be and universal truths and bla bla shizzle my nizzle who cares if you cannot see it what is the point.

Writer and plot and a ton of things and you see that Odin walks into a club with his spear in hand and furs and a eye patch and he is upset. At the bar sits a young man whom buys him a ale and invites him to sit. He says "I knew you were coming and I ordered you food" The food shows up and Frigga his wife brings it to the table , not only does she bring him the food but she brings him a napkin. On the napkin is a picture of the bar tender whom looks just like him but with a sword and shield and standing on a hill. Odin looks around and he notices that they are all him and then they are all gone it is simply him and his wife sitting on a blanket enjoying a picnic.

The wolves at his feet , the crows fly above and Thor is fishing he is s till a child playing in the river near by.

What is real ? What is Odin just playing with reality or the Beyonder. The story and what you wish to say in it. I explore one idea after another and characters are the ones telling the tale.

Who is the best character to use when they look in the mirror and they put on armor and they say. Let us get this story started shale we.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the TOAA truly omnipotent? If the Marvel Omniverse includes our universe then why doesn't the TOAA control our reality instead of being part of it (the writer)?

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Flumox56

My personal opinion is only The One Above All is fundamentally omnipotent, As a representation of Kirby / Stan Lee & the writers and editors as a whole, Makes him truly Omnipotent as they can decide to do anything in the context of the Marvel Universe, Plus the name itself gives a bit of a clue to his / hers / its / their power.