Thoughts on Marvel turning big villans into anti-heros

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Doom,Magneto and Loki are all currently anti-heros, well OK that may not be the correct word but they're not completely evil like they used to be.

Hell even CARNAGE is currently a good guy.

Thoughts?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Boynerdgeek
Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my eyes loki,magneto and doom were never villians but carnage is definatley very odd

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RealityWarper
Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Magneto is great as an anti-hero

Doom is okay as an anti-hero

Loki is meh as an anti-hero (but he's still awesome)

Carnage as an anti-hero? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

As if the whole 'anti-hero' thing hasn't already been done to death

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think that with a couple of sole exceptions (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Kaine SS) I never liked a Marvel villain that turned into a "good guy".

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not something new whatsoever Doom,Magneto and Loki did Anti-Hero behaivors for a looong time it's just not very often but they always tend to be heroic against threats that even they don't like. And why do we even mention Magneto he is been a hero almost as much as a villain since he created.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

They've been doing it for years, not sure why they should stop now.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marketing. Anti-heroes sell better than pure villains.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is doing the EXACT same thing.

Harley Quinn,Lex Luthor,Black Manta, Captain Cold, Sinestro, The Red Lanterns ETC.

Beata

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Eh, this has been going on for years now, so I'm kind of used to it by now.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I like what they have done with Doom. He still has world domination in his goals, but he is smart enough to help the forces of good if it is beneficial to him in some way.

Gazerbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts is this... Magneto is the perfect one to be antihero

Doom and Loki hmmmmm... not bad at all.

Carnage?????????? it seems weird.

Magneto is like a hero in his solo comic. Carnage starting to act like a hero, but in an odd way LOL. Doom and Loki are more like antihero. And all thanks to Magneto who put them in a situation where they have to play the hero role in order to save the world and the heroes in the Axis moment. Well... they did saved the day.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: It is pretty much all the marvel writers do.

yea what's wrong with them! Lex Luthor shouldn't be in the JL. Harley Quinn should just be evil. Also why would Black Adam save the day he should just wreck sh*t. Oh wait we were talking about Marvel.....

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: Harley, Lex and Adam are the bad guys and I expect nothing less from them, from supposed good guys I expect something better than murder (Dr. Strange), blowing up a world (Namor), placing all of time and space in jeopardy to annoy a friend (Beast when he brought the original X-men forward in time with no thought of how to put them back), design a hell prison in the negative zone where heroes could be tortured (Reed Richards), clone a dead friend to send that clone out to terrorize and kill other heroes (Tony Stark) or beat up a woman in front of her child to advance her own crime fighting career (Carol Danvers).

Marvel good guys are about the last group of people you want to be friends with, they stab each other in the back on a regular basis.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're talking about the recent stuff, its the inversion spell, its turning heroes evil and villains good.

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think no one can play the antihero role more perfectly than Magneto.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: Harley, Lex and Adam are the bad guys and I expect nothing less from them, from supposed good guys I expect something better than murder (Dr. Strange), blowing up a world (Namor), placing all of time and space in jeopardy to annoy a friend (Beast when he brought the original X-men forward in time with no thought of how to put them back), design a hell prison in the negative zone where heroes could be tortured (Reed Richards), clone a dead friend to send that clone out to terrorize and kill other heroes (Tony Stark) or beat up a woman in front of her child to advance her own crime fighting career (Carol Danvers).

Marvel good guys are about the last group of people you want to be friends with, they stab each other in the back on a regular basis.

well you are little off subject as the thread was about villains becoming anti-heroes, not heroes being a$$holes, which is why I mentioned Harley, Lex and Teth but since we are on the subject.....what about John Constantine and pretty much everything he's done...or Jason Todd.......my point is, it isn't just Marvel! it's comics. And given Namor and Tony Stark's track record are you really surprised about what they did? Namor was always an antihero.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: Sorry, I'd don't like Constantine and don't really consider him anything but a villain with a heroic sheen over what is essentially a very selfish character. I don't follow Jason Todd at all. Characters like that and Amanda Waller I consider villains with interesting stories, not heroes.

I know it's a part of comics but marvel has taken it to the point where the only difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that the good guys have better pr. It's like asking me the difference between a SHIELD or a HYDRA agent (in the comics), I'll have to tell you that the only difference that I can see is the uniform.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom, magnus, loki as anti-hero is not bad, they were originally anti-heroes at the beginning, but carnage as anti-hero? No, just no, totally NO!!!!!

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom, magnus, loki as anti-hero is not bad, they were originally anti-heroes at the beginning, but carnage as anti-hero? No, just no, totally NO!!!!!

Lol...I agree...is kind of odd.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By w0nd

@boynerdgeek said:

@sophisticated_ignorance: Magneto is okay as Anti Hero but Doom and Carnage is wrong as Anti Hero

that's what makes it funny. He punched out a hooker, and punched some dudes eye ball out of his socket in the name of justice. Plus it won't last so I am just enjoying carnage being hilarious. Plus people (not anyone here I don't think) seem to just hate it without knowing why. They think he just woke up and decided to be a good guy, but there's more to it than that.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wond: i know, imversion, it is funny seeing him as an anti-hero, the dudes he beat up that were trying to kill a family for cash were confused, they thought he came to take the cash, even spiderman was confused, and he leaves note "friendly neighbor canage", but he is still a villain and he should return to his side.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#26  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I'm fine with what's going on with Carnage because he's inverted and it will most likely only be temporary.

Avatar image for shadowofthelight
ShadowoftheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carnage looks good for the antihero role. And they way he does it lol It's so funny. I like Carnage.