• 121 results
#1 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's Trinity. It's an interesting concept to think about. We already know who makes up DC's Trinity. And whether you like them or hate them, you tend to respect them for what they are and represent to the DCU and its heroes.

It also got me thinking about Marvel's version. My thoughts are that Marvel's Trinity lies not with individuals but with their teams. The Marvel universe has 3 main superhero teams that are their staples and who without them things will fall apart. They are what keep Marvel alive since they're the ones who have always been around to inspire the younger generations of heroes and the common people.

I think Tony Starks said it best:

"The Avengers avenge. The X-men defend. And the Fantastic Four explore."

All important storylines have always revolved around one or all 3 of these massively important teams.

The Avengers, Fantastic Four, and X-men are Marvel's Trinity but it also made me think of who would be the hero most likely to represent the Marvel Universe, as both ambassador to their respective team and to the Marvel Universe as a whole.

So here's the challenge. Pick a member from each of these legendary teams and tell us why you think they represent not only their respective teams but also something essential to the Marvel Universe, and as such a place as one of Marvel's Trinity if it were to be made up of individuals only.

For characters who have been a part of more than one of these teams then use the team you usually associate them with. (In the case of the She-Hulk, {I know she has fans lurking about don't you try to hide from me!}, it's a toss-up between the Fantastic Four and the Avengers. The Avengers was her first superhero team, but I've always felt that the Fantastic Four truly helped her gain an identity and growth as a hero. So it's your choice which you put her in.)

Alright. Now it's time tell us your opinions.

Post Edited:2007-10-18 19:20:28

#2 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree that it would have to be the teams and not poeple. They don't really have a big three when it comes to characters. The interesting thing though is X-Men and Avengers have more than one team now, so which one are part of the big three? For Avengers I say Mighty but for X-Men I am not sure.

#3 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"I would agree that it would have to be the teams and not poeple. They don't really have a big three when it comes to characters. The interesting thing though is X-Men and Avengers have more than one team now, so which one are part of the big three? For Avengers I say Mighty but for X-Men I am not sure."

Very true, I didn't take that into account. For Avengers I'd say all versions, since really you have the classic line-up and then New and Mighty. For the X-men, I'm stumped. I guess perhaps, Uncanny X-men?

#4 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice post Mael. I agreed with everything you said, especially the Tony Stark reference ;)

#5 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Where would Black Panther fall into this? He is (or was) an Avenger. But you cant really take him over Cap from that team, but in my book, if there's a Marvel Trinity, he'd be in it.

#6 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"Nice post Mael. I agreed with everything you said, especially the Tony Stark reference ;)"

Thanks. Hey, I'll give the man his due, he was right and nicely put. :P

#7 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Where would Black Panther fall into this? He is (or was) an Avenger. But you cant really take him over Cap from that team, but in my book, if there's a Marvel Trinity, he'd be in it."
I don't think he would be. If you were going for popluar characters it would be Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk. But for the story top league guys it would be Captain America, Mr. Fantastic, and I would say Cyclops. He has always been important to the X-Men.
#8 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Where would Black Panther fall into this? He is (or was) an Avenger. But you cant really take him over Cap from that team, but in my book, if there's a Marvel Trinity, he'd be in it."

Hmmm, like I said, whichever team you associate him with most. T'Challa is hard, you're right he was an Avenger but we all know he got his start on the Fantastic Four and now he's on the team. I say put him with which team you think he belongs to most.

And remember, they have to represent their teams and an essential ideal to the Marvel Universe. I want some thought out answers people. :P

As you can see I've yet to put mine in, I'm still thinking, it's tricky.

#9 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

I admit, he's a very big character in MArvel nowadays but I don't think it's even possible to FORM a Marvel Trinity of characters without leaving a lot of people out.

#10 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"King of Kings says:
I don't think he would be. If you were going for popluar characters it would be Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk. But for the story top league guys it would be Captain America, Mr. Fantastic, and I would say Cyclops. He has always been important to the X-Men."

Why, Nobody? Remember, explanation. ;) I'm really interested in hearing peoples opinion on this. :)

#11 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do they have to be from a team? Thats kinda restrictive. And Black Panther doesn't rep a team, the Illuminati asked him to join and he turned them down. How many Marvel characters (heroes) run there own country? Thats his primary concern, is his people, his land. The man is head an shoulders above anyone in Marvel, and he gets left off cause he's not on a team?

#12 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

I should also add, that this IS based on YOUR opinions and you pick whoever you truly think would make it as one of the big 3, from each team.

Whatever reasons you have just state them. I don't bite, although I know a lot of Viners do. :P

#13 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Why do they have to be from a team? Thats kinda restrictive. And Black Panther doesn't rep a team, the Illuminati asked him to join and he turned them down. How many Marvel characters (heroes) run there own country? Thats his primary concern, is his people, his land. The man is head an shoulders above anyone in Marvel, and he gets left off cause he's not on a team? "

Because the entire basis of it is that Marvel is defined by those three teams. And those three teams are defined by their beliefs and their members.

#14 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Nobody says:
"King of Kings says:
I don't think he would be. If you were going for popluar characters it would be Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk. But for the story top league guys it would be Captain America, Mr. Fantastic, and I would say Cyclops. He has always been important to the X-Men. "
Why, Nobody? Remember, explanation. ;) I'm really interested in hearing peoples opinion on this. :)"
Captain America, he represents good(almost) and has lead the Avnegers almost since the beginning. He is what heroes should be. Mr. Fantastic, he is the brains of the big 4. He put a stop to Galactus and is possibly the smartest plan on the planet. Cyclops as I have said as been an X-Men for a long time, longer than anyone else. He has also been one of its longest leaders and always leads them into combat. He is a great choice to represent the mutant team of Marvel.
#15 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Well I dont subscribe to the format of this thread :P 1. Namor: Ruler of his own nation and possibly the first mutant ever. He's been apart of a number of teams and has a mountain of experience. When you think of Marvel, he's at the top. 2. Wolverine: He is Marvel. Love em or hate him the guy burst onto the scene and never looked back. Cyclops may be the leader, but Wolverine is the face of the X-Men. 3. Spiderman: I personally hate the character, but he's easily the most recognizable comicbook character next to Superman. One of the first heroes to actually have to deal with every day problems, Spiderman is your blue collar hero."

oh no he didn't YOU HATE SPIDERMAN HE RULES!!!

#16 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"Maelstrom says:
"Nobody says:
"King of Kings says:
I don't think he would be. If you were going for popluar characters it would be Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk. But for the story top league guys it would be Captain America, Mr. Fantastic, and I would say Cyclops. He has always been important to the X-Men. "
Why, Nobody? Remember, explanation. ;) I'm really interested in hearing peoples opinion on this. :)"
Captain America, he represents good(almost) and has lead the Avnegers almost since the beginning. He is what heroes should be. Mr. Fantastic, he is the brains of the big 4. He put a stop to Galactus and is possibly the smartest plan on the planet. Cyclops as I have said as been an X-Men for a long time, longer than anyone else. He has also been one of its longest leaders and always leads them into combat. He is a great choice to represent the mutant team of Marvel."

Good explanations. And for the record about Reed. He's arguably the greatest mind in human history. ;P

And stealing a page from my dear Gambler's book ;) :

Oh yes, we do believe the hype, Reed. Hugs him.

#17 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I dont subscribe to the format of this thread :P

1. Namor: Ruler of his own nation and possibly the first mutant ever. He's been apart of a number of teams and has a mountain of experience. When you think of Marvel, he's at the top.

2. Wolverine: He is Marvel. Love em or hate him the guy burst onto the scene and never looked back. Cyclops may be the leader, but Wolverine is the face of the X-Men.

3. Spiderman: I personally hate the character, but he's easily the most recognizable comicbook character next to Superman. One of the first heroes to actually have to deal with every day problems, Spiderman is your blue collar hero.

#18 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Well I dont subscribe to the format of this thread :P1. Namor: Ruler of his own nation and possibly the first mutant ever. He's been apart of a number of teams and has a mountain of experience. When you think of Marvel, he's at the top.2. Wolverine: He is Marvel. Love em or hate him the guy burst onto the scene and never looked back. Cyclops may be the leader, but Wolverine is the face of the X-Men.3. Spiderman: I personally hate the character, but he's easily the most recognizable comicbook character next to Superman. One of the first heroes to actually have to deal with every day problems, Spiderman is your blue collar hero."

Nice list but I'd replace Namor with Iron Man or Cap

#19 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Well I dont subscribe to the format of this thread :P1. Namor: Ruler of his own nation and possibly the first mutant ever. He's been apart of a number of teams and has a mountain of experience. When you think of Marvel, he's at the top.2. Wolverine: He is Marvel. Love em or hate him the guy burst onto the scene and never looked back. Cyclops may be the leader, but Wolverine is the face of the X-Men.3. Spiderman: I personally hate the character, but he's easily the most recognizable comicbook character next to Superman. One of the first heroes to actually have to deal with every day problems, Spiderman is your blue collar hero."

Rolls her eyes. You don't subscribe to a lot of things. Which kills the point of it. :P

#20 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"King of Kings says:

Nice list but I'd replace Namor with Iron Man or Cap"

Then make up your own Trinity.

#21 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"King of Kings says:
"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"King of Kings says:
"Well I dont subscribe to the format of this thread :P 1. Namor: Ruler of his own nation and possibly the first mutant ever. He's been apart of a number of teams and has a mountain of experience. When you think of Marvel, he's at the top. 2. Wolverine: He is Marvel. Love em or hate him the guy burst onto the scene and never looked back. Cyclops may be the leader, but Wolverine is the face of the X-Men. 3. Spiderman: I personally hate the character, but he's easily the most recognizable comicbook character next to Superman. One of the first heroes to actually have to deal with every day problems, Spiderman is your blue collar hero."
Why? Why Iron Man?"
What do you mean why!? Iron Man is one of Marvel's greatest and most important characters."

spits on ground

i will admit he is a big part of marvel but disagree for being the greatest hero

#22 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"King of Kings says:

Why? Why Iron Man?

#23 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"King of Kings says:
Do the characters we chose not have to be a part of the teams? If so I change mine.1. Spider-Man: His sense of responsibility humbles alot of heroes. Most don't know how he puts up with all the crap that he has to and he gets a lot of respect for that.2. Wolverine: Not only is he popular he is respect. The man is like 200 years old and has tons of fighting experince not to mention he goes to that line alot of heroes don't. He would be the batman(though some could debat wonder woman too) of Marvel's Trinity.3. This is the hardest one to do. I have several choices for this. Iron Man is one, and so is Captain America. I think I would probably go with Iron Man though. He is the head of SHEILD, a billionaire, and has to deal with almost every problem to effect Marvel."

Yes, they DO.

But since Gambler lives life by his own rules I'm not even going to bother pestering him about it, I'm too tired. :P

#24 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"King of Kings says:

Why? Why Iron Man?"

What do you mean why!? Iron Man is one of Marvel's greatest and most important characters.

#25 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

Do the characters we chose not have to be a part of the teams? If so I change mine.1. Spider-Man: His sense of responsibility humbles alot of heroes. Most don't know how he puts up with all the crap that he has to and he gets a lot of respect for that.2. Wolverine: Not only is he popular he is respect. The man is like 200 years old and has tons of fighting experince not to mention he goes to that line alot of heroes don't. He would be the batman(though some could debat wonder woman too) of Marvel's Trinity.3. This is the hardest one to do. I have several choices for this. Iron Man is one, and so is Captain America. I think I would probably go with Iron Man though. He is the head of SHEILD, a billionaire, and has to deal with almost every problem to effect Marvel.
#26 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"King of Kings says:

Then make up your own Trinity.

"

Maybe I will :P

#27 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"Copy says:
"*spits on ground* i will admit he is a big part of marvel but disagree for being the greatest hero"
Did you even read what I posted correctly?"

yea you said greatest and important character it sounded like you meant greatest hero a important hero my bad for misunderstand lol

#28 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

Maybe I will :P"

Then get to it!

#29 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well look at DC's Trinity. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There all part of ONE team, but there individuals first. I don't believe Marvel is defined by three teams. In fact, I don't believe there defined by teams at all.

Spiderman

Captain America

The Hulk/Wolverine

Those characters right there are what outline Marvel, everyone else falls inside of that, including the FF4.

#30 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"*spits on ground*i will admit he is a big part of marvel but disagree for being the greatest hero"

Did you even read what I posted correctly?

#31 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"King of Kings says:
"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"King of Kings says:

Why? Why Iron Man?"

What do you mean why!? Iron Man is one of Marvel's greatest and most important characters."

He's a big name, but great? I don't think so. He's not bigger then Namor.

#32 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Well look at DC's Trinity. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There all part of ONE team, but there individuals first. I don't believe Marvel is defined by three teams. In fact, I don't believe there defined by teams at all. Spiderman Captain America The Hulk/Wolverine Those characters right there are what outline Marvel, everyone else falls inside of that, including the FF4."
I agree with that.
#33 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"He's a big name, but great? I don't think so. He's not bigger then Namor."

Smirks I beg to differ

#34 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Well look at DC's Trinity. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There all part of ONE team, but there individuals first. I don't believe Marvel is defined by three teams. In fact, I don't believe there defined by teams at all.SpidermanCaptain AmericaThe Hulk/WolverineThose characters right there are what outline Marvel, everyone else falls inside of that, including the FF4."

But we're not talking about DC's Trinity.

We're talking about what defines the Marvel's Universe version. While Captain America, I agree, I feel will always be a part of a Marvel U's Trinity because let's face it, this is Captain America and he's THE hero that every other hero has admired at one point or another. But still he was a part of the Avengers. And the Avengers have helped develop him as a hero post World War II.

#35 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"King of Kings says:
"Well look at DC's Trinity. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There all part of ONE team, but there individuals first. I don't believe Marvel is defined by three teams. In fact, I don't believe there defined by teams at all.SpidermanCaptain AmericaThe Hulk/WolverineThose characters right there are what outline Marvel, everyone else falls inside of that, including the FF4."

We're talking about what defines the Marvel's Universe version. While Captain America, I agree, I feel will always be a part of a Marvel U's Trinity because let's face it, this is Captain America and he's THE hero that every other hero has admired at one point or another. But still he was a part of the Avengers. And the Avengers have helped develop him as a hero post World War II.

"

Oh, well you brought em up in your opening. I thought you wanted Marvels version.

#36 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Maelstrom says:
"King of Kings says:

"

Oh, well you brought em up in your opening. I thought you wanted Marvels version."

I was making a point, that we know who DC's version is and how I thought that the Marvel's Trinity was made up of teams and not individuals. And if you re-read the beginning. The point of this was to pick people from each of those teams who could give something to the Marvel U as both a member of that team and an essential, if it could only be represented by ONE person from each team.

And the people you mentioned have all been on one of those teams at one point or another. (Actually they've all mostly been part of the Avengers at one point or another.)

Post Edited:2007-10-18 19:08:05

#37 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'll leave ya'll to it.

#38 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Peter Parker: He is easily Marvel's most popular character and he is one of the few characters who's name is almost synonymous with comics.

2. Tony Stark: Anthony is (Partly in my opinion) one of Marvel's greatest characters. Tony has been involved in many important events in the Marvel universe. As a character I feel he is one of the most human characters in the Marvel universe, having to deal with personal issues and problems within himself.

3. Captain America: Captain America is one of Marvel's most important characters ever. He was an amazing hero and he helped put Marvel on the map.

#39 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"1. Peter Parker: He is easily Marvel's most popular character and he is one of the few characters who's name is almost synonymous with comics.2. Tony Stark: Anthony is (Partly in my opinion) one of Marvel's greatest characters. Tony has been involved in many important events in the Marvel universe. As a character I feel he is one of the most human characters in the Marvel universe, having to deal with personal issues and problems within himself.3. Captain America: Captain America is one of Marvel's most important characters ever. He was an amazing hero and he helped put Marvel on the map."

Aren't they all Avengers though?

#40 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"1. Peter Parker: He is easily Marvel's most popular character and he is one of the few characters who's name is almost synonymous with comics.2. Tony Stark: Anthony is (Partly in my opinion) one of Marvel's greatest characters. Tony has been involved in many important events in the Marvel universe. As a character I feel he is one of the most human characters in the Marvel universe, having to deal with personal issues and problems within himself.3. Captain America: Captain America is one of Marvel's most important characters ever. He was an amazing hero and he helped put Marvel on the map."

Aren't they all Avengers though? "

I'm breaking the rules :P

#41 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"King of Kings says:
"Donnieman v5.1 says:

I'm breaking the rules :P"

Lmao, isn't it fun.

@Sorry Mael :(

#42 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Donnieman v5.1 says:

Yeah, they are.

I give up. Just scratch the "...one from each team" since no one is going by that, just name whoever you think would be important enough as individuals that define the Marvel U.

But then you already have, handsome. ;)

Post Edited:2007-10-18 19:28:49

#43 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"King of Kings says:
@Sorry Mael :("

If you were really sorry you'd give me a hug. "

Jumps on Mael and hugs her

Like that ;P

#44 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

If you were really sorry you'd give me a hug.

#45 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Sticking with the Spidey/Cap/Wolverine combo. Those are probably the three most recognizable and lasting heroes of Marvel. You don't even have to like em (I only like one of the three) but you can't really deny that they rep Marvel like few others.

#46 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

for individuals to me its Spiderman, Cap, and Iron man

and teams i agree with mael

#47 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

King of Kings says:

"Maelstrom says:
"King of Kings says:

If you were really sorry you'd give me a hug. "

Jumps on Mael and hugs her

Like that ;P"

Works for me! Squeals.

Buckshot. I agree, with Spidey and Cap. I was torn between those two myself when I was adhering to the "...from each team" stipulation. Cap would have won out though. You just can't deny the man who everyone looks up to, especially Pete.

That and I have a thing for that shield of his.

Post Edited:2007-10-18 19:39:25

#48 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Maelstrom says:

"Marvel's Trinity. It's an interesting concept to think about. We already know who makes up DC's Trinity. And whether you like them or hate them, you tend to respect them for what they are and represent to the DCU and its heroes. It also got me thinking about Marvel's version. My thoughts are that Marvel's Trinity lies not with individuals but with their teams. The Marvel universe has 3 main superhero teams that are their staples and who without them things will fall apart. They are what keep Marvel alive since they're the ones who have always been around to inspire the younger generations of heroes and the common people. I think Tony Starks said it best: "*The Avengers avenge. The X-men defend. And the Fantastic Four explore.*" All important storylines have always revolved around one or all 3 of these massively important teams. The Avengers, Fantastic Four, and X-men are Marvel's Trinity but it also made me think of who would be the hero most likely to represent the Marvel Universe, as both ambassador to their respective team and to the Marvel Universe as a whole. So here's the challenge. Pick a member from each of these legendary teams and tell us why you think they represent not only their respective teams but also something essential to the Marvel Universe, and as such a place as one of Marvel's Trinity if it were to be made up of individuals only. For characters who have been a part of more than one of these teams then use the team you usually associate them with. (In the case of the She-Hulk, {*I know she has fans lurking about don't you try to hide from me!*}, it's a toss-up between the Fantastic Four and the Avengers. The Avengers was her first superhero team, but I've always felt that the Fantastic Four truly helped her gain an identity and growth as a hero. So it's your choice which you put her in.) Alright. Now it's time tell us your opinions.
Post Edited:2007-10-18 19:20:28"

I agree with that entire statement.

#49 Posted by Pink Awesome (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

I agree with this one for all the same reasons, except except maybe replace Cap with Wolverine because he really is big, and even people who don't read comics much know him just as much as Spider-Man. Thats not saying Cap isnt important, I'd say he's almost 4, if this wasnt a trinity.

But as for the team trinity, I really do like the Tony quote, its very true.

#50 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

FF: Reed Richards. One of the smartest in the MU. Represents the thinkers.

Avengers: Cap. Fought for his beliefs, represents the leadership.

X-men: Wolverinie. Rounds out the trio being the Anti-hero, and the rough edge to the group. He also seems to be Marvel's go-to guy for every story...