#1 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILERS, just in case...

So longetivity is a thing of the past at Marvel. The Long running titles concept just killed at Marvel. Fantastic Four will be relaunched, Daredevil too. Looks like at Marvel their ongoings are just long chapters now days. Daredevil isn't even a bad seller. They'll just restart it for the heck of it. To get that pop of a number 1 issue. Is the House of ideas just plain out of ideas?! Whatever happened to getting a new creative team in a book and just doing some good old advertisement in their own books, and just keep the numbering?

#2 Edited by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

For marvel putting a book back to #1 doesn't mean its restarting. Heck Avengers has restarted a number of times which doesn't mean a reboot.

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell does it matter? It's just a useless number

#4 Posted by cameron83 (7152 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell does it matter? It's just a useless number

I think that he's under the impression that they're rebooting. From my understanding,it's just a new wave of books. That's it. It's going to be part of the All New Marvel NOW! wave,it's not like they're being rebooted......

#5 Posted by Lena_Dante (2221 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm in favor of anything that makes comics more inclusive and easier to jump into. Was talking with my boss the other day, actually and he brought up an interesting idea. That Marvel should just renumber at the beginning of every year. That would obviously get cumbersome and there are other issues with that, but the general gist of it is something I'd be in favor of.

#6 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

Putting #1 on it for the sake of putting #1 on it doesn't really seem that cool...

#7 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: if it's a useless number then why renumber then? Why not keep the magazine going with an ongoing numbering?

#8 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

They put a #1 on it to boost sales, and as for DareDevil, probably jack the price up to $3.99 while they're at it.

I agree I don't like it. It is a dumb number but it signifies where the story is and how much story there is behind it. Someone just starting comics is going to pick up this new Daredevil #1 and wonder why the 1 is there if it's not a reboot or the start of something completely new. Relaunching series with #1s isn't relaunching unless you did what DC did with their new universe.

Why not just put the big 1 in the corner like with Avengers #24 that's coming up? It signifies a new jumping on point but also lets a new reader know that there's 24 issues they can look back on. I know people that have inadvertently picked up the wrong volume's issue for their collection, or read the volumes in the wrong order.

I guess everyone has their opinions on it. Personally, I've always enjoyed jumping into a comic randomly and finding a point I can trace back to and hunting those issues down. Constant renumbering's are done for sales, nothing else. It's not an idea, it's business.

#12 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009: I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. It's actual purpose is indeed to boost sales ,but the number doesn't mean anything when it comes to the actual content of the book

#13 Edited by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like they're restarting books because of the phases the movie-verse goes through. You get me? I mean it seems farfetched, but i noticed since the announcements of Phase 2 a couple years ago i think, rumours of marvel's comic line 'restarting' was running rampant throughout the internet at the time. So if Avengers 3 is going to come out, my bet is that they're going to restart the comics line again withe some fancy slogan such as this 'all new' or 'now' logo... LOL

#14 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: Of course, the numbering just like in any printed magazine has the simple purpose of displaying the sequence of the magazine, usually giving the reader an idea of how long said book has been on publication. That concept no longer has any meaning at Marvel. I see it as a cheap marketing ploy to exploit the "ooh, it's a number 1 issue!" mentality of the comic book noobs. Example: Daredevil is selling very well. Mark Waid's run is very popular. From what I read he isn't even leaving the book. So why the renumbering? It's only in its 30th something issue for god's sakes. Something is wrong at Marvel. It's like all bets are off in that place.

#15 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009: But I still don't see why it matters. If it helps sales and doesn't affect the content of said book, what reason do you have to care?

#16 Posted by frangipan (113 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only there to pull in new readers because for new readers it's quite off putting to start at #24 or something like that.

#17 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

TO THOSE QUESTIONING DAREDEVIL

Interviews have shown that it ends on a story base and it was a team decision not because the price and popularity.

Also his anniversary next year so...

#18 Posted by senhordelicio (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like the idea of number restart, as long as the volume is kept. The Uncanny X-Men is a good example...

#19 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only there to pull in new readers because for new readers it's quite off putting to start at #24 or something like that.

This is definitely a factor.

#20 Posted by Xwraith (16901 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the House of ideas just plain out of ideas?!

To put it simply, yes.

Thanks a lot, Joe.

#21 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: yep, it's a sad stunt really, this whole 'make it a number one again' business.

#22 Edited by Brad387 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine: Exactly. A reboot, or in my eyes at least, is when you literally scrap all previous material and make it non-cannon to start again. But, unless I'm mistaken, Marvel hasn't done that. They're just reverting some issues back to Issue 1 and I think that is to encourage new readers to start. Even though it isn't necessary, some new people feel daunted by a comic book series being on Issue 656 (or whatever) because they feel pressured to read through them all.