Marvel ongoing suggestions.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Sooo .. I am pretty much DC exclusive and I know very little about marvel outside of games and movies, it's something i've been wanting to change for a long time now so I am basically here to ask for suggestions, what I want is a comic that is ongoing right now so that I can start getting into current events and such, so I am not looking for older story arcs, no matter how good they are. (if I am interested ill check those out once I am a bit more invested into the world)

As for taste, it's a bit difficult to express since my knowledge is so limited, what I do know that I like is the Hulk family and X-men (at least some of them), I picked up She-hulk recently but I ended up not reading it after flipping through and seeing that horrible art, so good art is pretty important for me. I typically like dark and mature stories, in dc for an example my favorite ongoing is Swamp Thing - anyone who have checked it out knows what I mean with dark and mature. Other then that a big plus would be if its a mainstream character or a team book since I am looking to try and get into the setting as a whole rather then one character eventually.

What I -don't- like is overly cartoony books or books that are aimed towards younger children, it's just not my cup of tea. I do not like wisecrackers like Spiderman or Deadpool so those are a no-no. I also typically prefer female characters over male ones as long as they are potrayed well and strong.

So yeah, that's about it, of course suggestions don't have to have exactly everything I like in it, a good book is a good book and I am open for suggestions, my likes/dislikes are there more as guidelines towards what I am looking for. I would very much appreciate any and all suggestions, thank you for reading!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thor: God of Thunder. Amazing art, and has been consistently awesome all the way through. I didn't like Thor that much before reading this, but this series is very well written and really brings Thor to life and looks at all parts of his life, from young Thor to old king Thor in the future. And, its not childish :) the first arc was actually pretty dark for Marvel.

New Avengers and Uncanny Avengers are also great right now, and the art is good enough. I hear black widow is good too but I don't read it myself.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Black Widow, Elektra, Magneto

All with far more mature tones (and in Magneto's case fairly dark). All with great art (imo). Especially Elektra.

All are fairly new too, so easy to jump into.

edit: Moon Knight has also been awesome, but its ending soon or at least the writer is ending at 6 issues lol

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

If you are willing in going back and reading from the start of the series, I would recommend Thor, New Avengers, and Uncanny Avengers(from issue 6). They have been my favorites and consistently good, mature stpries. I wouldn't recommend New or Uncanny if you want to jump right in because they are both deep in their stories and not too new reader friendly.

If you just want to go back a couple issues, I would look at Black Widow, Moon Knight, and Iron Fist. All three are early in their runs with Black Widow releasing 5 issues and the other two releasing 3 so far. Black Widow has been one of my favorite books over the past couple months.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are willing in going back and reading from the start of the series, I would recommend Thor, New Avengers, and Uncanny Avengers(from issue 6). They have been my favorites and consistently good, mature stpries. I wouldn't recommend New or Uncanny if you want to jump right in because they are both deep in their stories and not too new reader friendly.

If you just want to go back a couple issues, I would look at Black Widow, Moon Knight, and Iron Fist. All three are early in their runs with Black Widow releasing 5 issues and the other two releasing 3 so far. Black Widow has been one of my favorite books over the past couple months.

I will definetly pick it up from the start, that's a big part of why I want to start with only one book - so I can focus on catching up.

@theacidskull Thanks for the suggestions. : ) Alot of people are recommending Thor, sadly it's one of those characters im not all that interested in, ill probably get around to reading him and giving it a shot though due to all the recommendations - just not sure I want to start with him. New/Uncanny avengers are both getting a decent amount of praise so far, what are your thoughts on those?

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Oh and also.. I can't believe you entered this thread without a mention of Hulk? :D

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Magneto for sure...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Ah, I see. Well Hulk is actually my second favorite marvel hero after She-hulk so, I definetly like that character. I really enjoy over-the-top strength as you might remember from my favorite characters list (I think you commented on it a while back). People like Doomsday, Grundy and Despero are among my top 10, despite barely having a personality I just love the massive power they bring to the table. (Not saying hulk is like that)

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FearTheLiving
No matter, what people say they like or don't like I have to suggest Hawkeye.
No matter, what people say they like or don't like I have to suggest Hawkeye.

It's silly at times, and not sure if you'd find the art style cartoony, but it's a good series focusing not only on Clint Barton but also Kate Bishop. Either way I'd say read the first issue and if you like it continue with the series if not then drop it.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

@theacidskull: Ah, I see. Well Hulk is actually my second favorite marvel hero after She-hulk so, I definetly like that character. I really enjoy over-the-top strength as you might remember from my favorite characters list (I think you commented on it a while back). People like Doomsday, Grundy and Despero are among my top 10, despite barely having a personality I just love the massive power they bring to the table. (Not saying hulk is like that)

if that's the case you'd love the hulk, and as a bonus he is a great character as well!

I'd suggest to start reading hulk from issue 5 tho.

Cool, is there more then one hulk book?

Sorry for the late reply too, for some reason I am not getting notifications from this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Black Widow and Elektra.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By oldnightcrawler
Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Fist is really good and just started. The art is great also.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things that are off to a promising start but have less than 4 issues released so far so it is hard to tell how good they are going to be
Elektra
Silver Surfer
Moon Knight
Cyclops
Magneto
Amazing Spider-Man (this one has people divided)
Original Sin (event)
Deadpool vs. Carnage (limited 4 issue series)
Inhuman
Ms. Marvel
Daredevil

Well recepted ongoings
Uncanny Avengers
Thor: God of Thunder
Hawkeye
Black Widow

Others that I like
Guardians of the Galaxy
Uncanny X-Men
All New X-Men

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Moon Knight ,Ms.Marvel, Inhuman(Like the second issue better then the first one.), Thor : God of Thunder, Nova is pretty good, Black Widow,New Avengers, Captain Marvel, All New X-Men and All New X-Factor there are really a lot of good stuff at Marvel IMO but these I think are a good start.

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone reading new warriors? I was wondering if it got better.