is there anything marvel creates that arent a rip-off?

• 140 results
Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Macest128

well?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Alright, I don't like Marvel, I hate most of the things they've done in recent years, and I am quite vocal on both points, but come on now. They do have some original characters. They aren't all ripoffs.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rawrnosaurous

Deadpool

/thread

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Isn't this thread a rip off of your other thread where you try to claim DC invented (or at least didn't acknowledge he wasn't original) Solomon Grundy and Hulk is a rip off of him? *smile* 

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By darth_brendroid

Namor the Sub-Mariner.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@rawrnosaurous said:

Deadpool

/thread

Not helping my point...
Avatar image for man_without_fear
Man Without Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Man Without Fear

None of their characters are rip-offs. Ripping characters off is against the law and since no legal action has been taking against Marvel I would say they don't have ANY rip-offs. Marvel has characters inspired by others but so does DC. Even characters like Superman whom Marvel has used as reference material for quite a few of their characters. Most characters in comics aren't completely original or characters in general. Alot of characters are inspired by something or someone so....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

@SC said:

Isn't this thread a rip off of your other thread where you try to claim DC invented (or at least didn't acknowledge he wasn't original) Solomon Grundy and Hulk is a rip off of him? *smile*

This.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Man Without Fear said:
None of their characters are rip-offs. Ripping characters off is against the law and since no legal action has been taking against Marvel I would say they don't have ANY rip-offs. Marvel has characters inspired by others but so does DC. Even characters like Superman whom Marvel has used as reference material for quite a few of their characters. Most characters in comics aren't completely original or characters in general. Alot of characters are inspired by something or someone so....
For the most part, yeah. But some are just blatant about it (example: Deadpool. Mr. Wade Wilson was ripped off of Deathstroke, whose name is Slade Wilson. Not a ripoff, you say? Both are mercs, I'd like to clarify)
Man Without Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Man Without Fear
@JediXMan said:
For the most part, yeah. But some are just blatant about it (example: Deadpool. Mr. Wade Wilson was ripped off of Deathstroke, whose name is Slade Wilson. Not a ripoff, you say? Both are mercs, I'd like to clarify)
Right we all know that Deadpool has blatant similarities to Deathstroke but at the end of the day there are alot more things about them that are different than there is that is similar. I can't call Deadpool a rip-off because they have so many huge differences. 
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Man Without Fear

I'm not saying there aren't differences, but...

I mean, look at Sentry. Sure, nothing like Superman. But the guy is looked at as the world's superhero idle (... well kinda) and has a big S on his costume. Maybe it's the S that makes it so blatant. I don't know. But come on. Originality is not dead.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad

Man Thing (Marvel) pre-dated Swamp Thing (DC) for one. :p Booya!

Man Without Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Man Without Fear
@JediXMan said:
@Man Without Fear:   I'm not saying there aren't differences, but... I mean, look at Sentry. Sure, nothing like Superman. But the guy is looked at as the world's superhero idle (... well kinda) and has a big S on his costume. Maybe it's the S that makes it so blatant. I don't know. But come on. Originality is not dead.
I know that you weren't saying that there aren't differences. I'm just saying that most characters, even ones that get referenced for others repeatedly, like Superman,Batman etc. have traits that appear to be borrowed from characters that came before them. There may be some characters that are somewhat original but I can't think of very many that don't have some traits that where used for previous characters.
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar
@SC said:
lol beat me to it by 43 minutes
Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Macest128

@Man Without Fear said:

we all know the young avengers are a rip-off of the teen titans

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

Because they are legacy characters? You are using the term Rip-off pretty loosely here considering the members of young avengers are just copies of The Avengers

If they were a rip-off their characters would be copies of the teen titans with small changes, just because they are a team of young super heroes doesn't = rip-offs

But if them being young heroes makes them a rip off then teen titans is a rip off of x-men because they are a team of teens with powers XD

And most heroes are inspired by mythology and legends so then Superman is a rip off of Hercules

No character is original, they are all INSPIRED by another character or a story/religion....etc

Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Macest128

@EnSabahNurX said:

@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

Because they are legacy characters? You are using the term Rip-off pretty loosely here considering the members of young avengers are just copies of The Avengers

If they were a rip-off their characters would be copies of the teen titans with small changes, just because they are a team of young super heroes doesn't = rip-offs

But if them being young heroes makes them a rip off then teen titans is a rip off of x-men because they are a team of teens with powers XD

And most heroes are inspired by mythology and legends so then Superman is a rip off of Hercules

No character is original, they are all INSPIRED by another character or a story/religion....etc

no the teen titans's are not a rip-off of the x-men they are nothing alike in any way and the young avengers are the closest marvel has to the teen titans i mean

batman and tim drake vs captain america and patriot would be pretty cool

Avatar image for jackson_hartley
Jackson_Hartley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jackson_Hartley

Almost everything is a ripoff of something.

Batman, Robin, Alfred = Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Mrs. Hudson.

Hawkeye or Green Arrow = Robin Hood.

Superman = Achilles.

If you look hard enough, you'll find similarities in just about anything. Yes, there will be knockoffs, but it's like arguing over coke or pepsi. They're the same thing with different tastes. Just enjoy the one you like best.

Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Macest128

@darth_brendroid said:

Namor the Sub-Mariner.

do you have a better match for bizzaro or venom?

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FuriousWeasel

Considering that Marvel pioneered almost everthing we take for granted in modern comics I'd say that if any company was being copied it's Marvel.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By darth_brendroid

@Macest128: Huh? What does Namor have to do with Bizzaro and Venom?

Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Macest128

@darth_brendroid said:

@Macest128: Huh? What does Namor have to do with Bizzaro and Venom?

no this is for the marvel universe vs 600 spartans thread you just said "he also though venom was equal to bizzaro" what is your better match?

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gethere

Actually there are many things that are not ripoff in marvel, such as Namor, Human torch(original) SHEILD, Hydra, Spiderman, The hulk, Daredevil, Wolverine,Storm, Silver surfer, many other things as well. Sure most of marvel heroes and villains have some inspiration from other comics, but marvel come up with it own ideas on those characters that may make them completely different, besides it not as DC have not or other comics have taken ideas from marvel as well.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cosmo111687

@FuriousWeasel said:

Considering that Marvel pioneered almost everthing we take for granted in modern comics I'd say that if any company was being copied it's Marvel.

Such as?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ARMIV2

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-man, Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Silver Surfer, Galactus, and Ghost Rider to name a few.

Man Without Fear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Man Without Fear
@Macest128 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

No it's not. It's a similar idea but the line-up is completely different. The characters are nothing alike.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By joshmightbe

@Macest128: In what way is Venom equal to Bizzaro?

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sky-pirate

The term "rip-off" is thrown around an awful lot. I've seen Power Girl be accused off being a Supergirl rip-off (despite the fact, that they're both created, owned and published by the same corporation). I've seen some characters be accused of being a rip-off, of characters that were actually created way later (as the person making the accusation, is only familiar with the younger character).

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By KainScion

who cares who copied who??!! i just want GOOD comics!!!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Jackson_Hartley said:

Almost everything is a ripoff of something.

Batman, Robin, Alfred = Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Mrs. Hudson.

Hawkeye or Green Arrow = Robin Hood.

Superman = Achilles.

If you look hard enough, you'll find similarities in just about anything. Yes, there will be knockoffs, but it's like arguing over coke or pepsi. They're the same thing with different tastes. Just enjoy the one you like best.

I can't say how much I love this post enough.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Billy Batson

maybe Spider-Man.
BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

@joshmightbe said:

Only in the "take the hero and make a f**ked up version of him" aspect. But that's been around far before comics were even around.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#33  Edited By Dracade102
Thor
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshmightbe

@InnerVenom123: Its actually an ancient cliche' thats even part of some mythology

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@KainScion said:

who cares who copied who??!! i just want GOOD comics!!!

but still Phantomex Wolverine Beta Ray Bill Spidey (an all his clones) Symbiotes, Forbush Man ;D, Nick Fury, Shield ,Howling Commandos, Thor (rest of asgard) Red Skull, Sin, Luke Cage, Power Fist, Human Torch, Galactus Silver Surfer Rocket Racoon, The ThunderBolts Speedball/Penance, One Above All, Osbornes, Doc Oc, Captain America Iron Man Asbestos Man, Leather Boy Flat Man Big Bertha Cable Doorman Mr. Immortal, Thanos, Beyonder, Watchers, Hulk family, Hope, Magneto, Kraven the Hunter, Avengers West Coast Avengers Great Lakes Avengers Bullseye Stilt Man Lady Stilt Man Daredevil

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PrinceIMC

Both companies shared many of the same artists and writers who influence each other and are influenced by each other.

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pbott

Who cares if its a "rip off" as long as the storys are well written i could care less, comics is a business and when something works others will take parts of what works and apply it to there product, if you really want to go there swamp thing is a rip off of man thing, but what character is well known?

Ragnarök

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ragnarök
@sky-pirate said:

The term "rip-off" is thrown around an awful lot. I've seen Power Girl be accused off being a Supergirl rip-off (despite the fact, that they're both created, owned and published by the same corporation). I've seen some characters be accused of being a rip-off, of characters that were actually created way later (as the person making the accusation, is only familiar with the younger character).

They are also the same person. It's like saying Nate Grey is a rip-off of Cable.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joshmightbe

Why isn't DC getting any flack here Batman is a rip off of Zorro, Lex Luthor started out as your standard mad scientist villain, Joker was completely ripped off from a silent movie called " The Man Who Laughed" , The Penguin was ripped off from an add campaign, many of Batman's original villains were ripped off from Dick Tracy, Swamp Thing was ripped off from the same character as Man-Thing called the Heap, Lobo is a composite rip off of damn near every violent hero from the 80s and early 90s, just to name a few

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gravitypress

Superman was a rip-off from Gladiator by Phillip Wylie in the 30s. All characters borrow from one another. Aside from Thor(debatable) early characters were made using Greek gods as the template.Hercules is the father of all hero inspiration.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By PowerHerc

When it comes to ripping off ideas/concepts/characters, I see no difference between Marvel and DC.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By BatteredArmor

well yeah of course they do and this is coming from someone on team dc

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By joshmightbe

@gravitypress: You know they say the writers of the Edda, which is the primary source of info on Norse myth, borrowed several traits from Zeus when describing Thor so yea rip offs have been around for a long time

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By RainEffect

Hulk. Wolverine. Daredevil.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gravitypress

@joshmightbe: I sort of figured that it might be the case. Roman soldiers probably told tales of Mars, Jupiter, and the rest of the gods.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joshmightbe

@gravitypress: Well the Edda was written about a hundred or so years after most of the Vikings had converted to Christianity, and since most of their mythology hadn't been written down it ended up being heavily influenced by those who'd actually wrote their mythology down and their are many who bring up the fact that some cultures saw Thor as above or equal to Odin and it's possible the Edda introduced the idea that Odin was his father but that can't really be confirmed due to lack of evidence to either support or disprove it

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By daredevil21134

@RainEffect said:

What about Spidey

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By RainEffect
@daredevil21134 said:

@RainEffect said:

What about Spidey

Gah! I deserve to be lynched for forgetting him! Cheers for picking me up on it.
Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Macest128

@joshmightbe said:

it just felt like a good match to me just as good as lady shiva vs elektra or loose cannon vs hulk but i was wrong

Macest128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Macest128

@RainEffect said:

hulk was a rip-off of solomon grundy