#1 Posted by Martian81 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me start by saying I found the first two films better than the third. I am diehard Marvel hero fan and part of my dislike of the third installment is how they wrote the story. I mean sure it's Ok to write a story that is not based on the comics as is common now but if that were the case why include a comic character like Mandarin and turn him into a clown? Really I think the execs took people for a ride, the trailers were all showing the Mandarin hyping up fanboy fervor but when you watch the movie disappointment is an understatement.

The story was not engrossing either, the usual spurned genius turns psycho megalomaniac plot. I think people were duped by a few huge action scenes but I feel the first and second movies had fewer action scenes and yet were way better than this film. Is it really Robert's charm that got this movie to $1bn?

All Iron Man fans did the 3rd film get its due really?

#2 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@martian81: Overrated, yeah

worse than IM1,2 ....yeah

did I enjoyed the action sequence? yeah, of course, who wouldn't?

#3 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't believe the reception it initially got, I really didn't enjoy it. Not for nitpicks like the Mandarin's portrayal, just a bad film in general. First two are better in my opinion, but I haven't seen 2 in a while so take that with a grain of salt.

#4 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its liked right around the correct amount. Its ok to pretty good, but not amazing by any means. A solid 7/10 or so. Most people arent calling it the best movie ever. I think critics overrate it quite a bit, but they dont really matter.

#5 Edited by The_Brave_Family (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand the hate on this site as basically everyone here are comic-readers (in other words, devotees to Iron Man), but comic-readers (some anyway), you don't seem to understand that general movie-goers enjoyed the film. I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 because I'm a bit neutral - I wasn't really into comics until 3 years ago, but even then I didn't read much Iron Man. Sure I knew who the Mandarin was and his impact on Iron Man's mythology, but I didn't rage over the twist in the film. I have to say, I think this film is underrated - I get annoyed when I read a Yahoo article's comment section about Iron Man 3, an innocent movie-goer explains how much he loved Iron Man 3 and then below there are about 10 replies from people stating how they are true comic fans and go on about how unfaithful Marvel was, then they call anyone who enjoyed Iron Man 3 an idiot... :P

#6 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

That's opinion. However,I must say that it wasn't really the best or as great as people make it seem (although just my opinion),but I mainly agree with this also:

I understand the hate on this site as basically everyone here are comic-readers (in other words, devotees to Iron Man), but comic-readers (some anyway), you don't seem to understand that general movie-goers enjoyed the film. I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 because I'm a bit neutral - I wasn't really into comics until 3 years ago, but even then I didn't read much Iron Man. Sure I knew who the Mandarin was and his impact on Iron Man's mythology, but I didn't rage over the twist in the film. I have to say, I think this film is underrated - I get annoyed when I read a Yahoo article's comment section about Iron Man 3, an innocent movie-goer explains how much he loved Iron Man 3 and then below there are about 10 replies from people stating how they are true comic fans and go on about how unfaithful Marvel was, then they call anyone who enjoyed Iron Man 3 an idiot... :P

Well those people are dumb*sses

But in short,my opinion was that it wasn't the best...It wasn't really that....good. HOWEVER,this is all a matter of opinion.

#7 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was great. You know, aside from the whole Macguyver thing. They had to fit Mandarin in with Extremis and they did it well. I would prefer a better portrayal of Mandarin, but this one had a degree of humor. I'm not a big fan of his, so I could care less about them turning him into a joke.

Extre is turned out pretty good. I was wondering how they would pull off the fire breath. The movie altogether wasn't as good as the first, but definitely better than the second. It was a fitting end.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an enjoyable movie, but not mind-blowingly awesome. I could live with the Mandarin twist, but frankly I was more annoyed with the butchering of the Extremis concept and the terribly hideous and ineffective new armors. I'd definitely watch it again, but Iron Man 1 still remains my favorite of the trilogy.

#9 Posted by Dreadpool10 (885 posts) - - Show Bio

I give it a 8/10. I'm suppose the Mandarin twist it cool, but I would of liked the Mandarin with his rings better. Also I hated all of his suits were destroyed. Those suits could of been used for so much more.

#10 Edited by ScarletBatman (365 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was the worst of the three films. It had a lot of plot holes, a bit too much MacGuiver-iness and did some weird thing with Extremis and the Mandarin that I don't think were that good.

Still better than Green Lantern and Batman & Robin by a long shot.

#11 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3093 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the worst of the three IM movies but it wasn't bad, I do not think It is oerrated either. I give the movie 6.5 - 7/10. I personally really enjoyed the film.

#12 Posted by Bezza (3635 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I agree with the op. As a comic book fan, I didn't like the lack of decent action in Iron Man 3 between a properly fully powered up Iron Man and a credible bad guy. We had this new version of Mandarin that in my view wasn't very convincing. We had loads of iron men getting their arses kicked by these heat producing characters. It had a good story in parts and was very funny in parts, but give me Iron man 1 anyday, or the more recently maligned MOS!!

#13 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, not overrated. I really enjoyed it.

#14 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5052 posts) - - Show Bio

No. The only people bitching are comic fans. You can't deny the box office numbers.

#15 Posted by SangriaMuffin (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I never got why people hated the second movie so much. Sure it wasn't as good as the first one but I would probably rank it above Thor movie. The third movie however is definitely the worst of the trilogy. The worst of all the movies in the Avengers Universe, and possible the worst out of all the marvel movies.

Even is you ignore how the comics went and the big twist this is just a bad movie with horrible writing decisions. One of the worst tings was Tony's character development. One minute he is a worn man forced into the superhero life who was never really cut out for it, and in the next he has developed into a bad ass who is capable of being a hero even with out his suit. Yeah your character development should be complex but it shouldn't contradict itself.

#16 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as good as Iron Man, but equal to Iron Man 2.

#17 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as good as Iron Man, but equal to Iron Man 2.

that's pretty much my feeling. I think I'd put IM3 just a little higher than IM2 for having a few more cool twists in the story, and being overall more satisfying, but basically this.

#18 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated, no. Most people don't like it or even hate it so I don't understand how it could be overrated.

I liked it and can live with the Mandarin twist, then again my expectations are realistic.

#19 Posted by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not overrated, and it not underrated. It's just... rated...

#21 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll say it a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it. It's Robert Downey Jr. doing his Tony Stark thing outside of the armor- what's not to love? But I don't think it lives up to all the lavishing of praise that's been heaped upon it.

#22 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Highly overrated. Tony Stark isn't that interesting without his Iron Man armor.

#23 Posted by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not an Iron Man comic reader, and I still thought it sucked. Not because of the Mandarin, but because it was very boring throughout most of the movie, he almost never wore his armor, Pepper was a complete b*tch as usual, and his armor freaking sucked. His Mark VII armor from Avengers would've destroyed his entire suit army from IM 3 in seconds. His armor takes shots from a tank, a fall from the sky, Whiplash's whips, War Machine, Chitauri weapons, swings from Mjolnir, and he keeps going; now all of a sudden Extremis agents are tearing it apart like toilet paper, and Mandarin literally karate chopped one of his suits in half. The whole joke of the Mark 42 breaking apart during the Mandarin fight pissed me off. They already devoted too much of the movie to comic relief, and they threw away their chance at a great fight scene.

Before I saw the movie, all my friends said: "It's amazing, best Iron Man movie yet, better than Avengers, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen." The only movie that left me more disappointed was Lighting Thief.

#24 Edited by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

no just no

#25 Edited by flameboy298 (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess its abit overrated,would of been nice if they actually followed the Extremis storyline.I didn't apreciate How Shane black put that movie together

In the trailer's you think you're getting the Mandarian from the comics,in the movie you get something totally different.I know they did it too sell the movie and get more people interested but still the movie was average IMO

#26 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

I'm not an Iron Man comic reader, and I still thought it sucked. Not because of the Mandarin, but because it was very boring throughout most of the movie, he almost never wore his armor, Pepper was a complete b*tch as usual, and his armor freaking sucked. His Mark VII armor from Avengers would've destroyed his entire suit army from IM 3 in seconds. His armor takes shots from a tank, a fall from the sky, Whiplash's whips, War Machine, Chitauri weapons, swings from Mjolnir, and he keeps going; now all of a sudden Extremis agents are tearing it apart like toilet paper, and Mandarin literally karate chopped one of his suits in half. The whole joke of the Mark 42 breaking apart during the Mandarin fight pissed me off. They already devoted too much of the movie to comic relief, and they threw away their chance at a great fight scene.

Before I saw the movie, all my friends said: "It's amazing, best Iron Man movie yet, better than Avengers, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen." The only movie that left me more disappointed was Lighting Thief.

I agree with you on Lightning Thief lol

#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It has an equal amount of hate and praise. Please stop misusing the word overrated. It is cancer.

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (14891 posts) - - Show Bio

No,it's not overrated.The movie can't be overrated while there are people who like the movie and when there are people who hate the movie also.That means it almost get a good amound of praise and hate and things are even.

#29 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

no. dc movies are overrated.

#30 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Really I thought it was under rated, I've not heard a good review for the film, yet it had everything you could want in it. Sure it mucked about with a few things, but the film has to fit into a world where actors might just leave at any time, till we can make great CGI movies films will never be able to follow the comics... Except maybe Dr who or any comics featuring shape shifters... People's comments seem to forget the fact that the film wants a much wider audience then comic readers, they want to see RDJ not a CGI robot, heck me and my friends were joking that he must have been fed up of the limited FaceTime in the avengers compared to the rest of the cast lol. I wouldn't be surprised if Iron man isn't in the avengers 3 and its just Stark.

#31 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

can't be overrated. not many thought it was good to begin with.

#32 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

It made over a billion whereas Man of Steel and Pacific rim made 3/5ths to a third of what it grossed. So it had to have done something right.

#33 Edited by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

it built off the hype of the avengers and the popularity of a character. Commercial success means nothing in terms of accomplishments from a critical standpoint.

for instance lil bow wow was a great commercial success but does that mean he's a more talented artist then someone who never when platinum?

#34 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

#35 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailers also mislead with the serious tone. Yeah stark is a joker but... There comes a time when he puts the jokes aside and focuses on the mission. There was a joke every 5 minutes....

But then again, I haven't really liked a marvel movie since iron man