#1 Edited by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

So recently I bought all the books in the original 2099 imprint from back in the 90's because I'm a completionist and I wanted to read all the series that weren't Spider-Man 2099. However I've run into something of a snag. I felt like reading the end of the world part before getting to the other series because I always wanted to pick up where the Spider-Man 2099 books cut off (#45 is the tie-ins for the end of the world), however I've been checking all the books (I do have ALL of them, I made certain) and they rarely tell you which book to pick up to get the next part of the story, they all seem to tie into each other and yet not tie into each other at the same damn time and in spots where it's implied that you should go directly from one book to another (FF2099 #7 to #8 is a prime example) it makes these extremely awkward jumps that seem like there's major plot points missing. Basically I'm looking for the exact reading order for the books that tell how the world floods, then it should be an easy move into the "2099 World of Tomorrow Series" and the mini-series that follow it.

I know a lot of people are just going to come here and say "Nah man, don't bother, the story is crap", please save that for somewhere else, I'm eager to see how it all ends, no matter how bad you feel it is.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer assistance.

#2 Posted by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

After 10 days I feel as though I've waited long enough to give this thing a bump.

#3 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, yes, the "ending". The 2099 creative team had a massive exodus when an editor was fired and that was that for quality. From that point on everything was crap and the crossovers were rushed out to try and lift flagging readership. I'm sorry, but it will not make sense.

Here is original writer Peter David discussing the effect on Spider-Man 2099 after he left in a 3-part interview.

#4 Edited by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Ah, yes, the "ending". The 2099 creative team had a massive exodus when an editor was fired and that was that for quality. From that point on everything was crap and the crossovers were rushed out to try and lift flagging readership. I'm sorry, but it will not make sense.

Here is original writer Peter David discussing the effect on Spider-Man 2099 after he left in a 3-part interview.

I know all about what happened with the 2099 line and I'm keenly aware of its abysmal quality, however I'd still like to read the thing and there's no reading order that I can find, the books don't give a reading order themselves (and the ones that do are incomplete themselves or feel as though they're incomplete).

#5 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@baron_bj: I wasn't questioning your affection for it—note my avatar—but if there's a proper reading order for it I don't know of one nor would I hold hope for one. Sure it'd be great to be proven wrong, but ...

#6 Posted by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@baron_bj: I wasn't questioning your affection for it—note my avatar—but if there's a proper reading order for it I don't know of one nor would I hold hope for one. Sure it'd be great to be proven wrong, but ...

Yeah, I'm beginning to lose hope as well, I just decided to read them in issue order (unless they told me to read another book for the next part like FF2099 and Doom 2099) and try and patch it together until I found a reading order, however I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that reading as is may actually be how they were intended to be read and they were all just written and planned so mind-bogglingly poorly that they end up contradicting each other due to sheer ineptitude.

#7 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

If their was a order and ending I am not aware of it. It ended in a mess as far as I can tell.