#1 Posted by nakobass (50 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/05/iron-man-3-box-office_n_3219220.html

I just saw the numbers for Ironman 3, and it's the 2nd biggest Weekend Opening just behind The Avengers. So does this mean Iron-Man has surpassed Spider-Man as Marvel's Flagship Character? Does Marvel even have a Flagship Character with so many popular characters? For me, I always thought it was Spider-Man. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nakobass: money wise, meh. in most articles every hyped movie breaks some records nobody knows about. popularity neah i dont think so. but he is up there close. 2nd or 3d.

#3 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely. It's not the money, it's how much exposure he gets. The Avengers was practically Iron Man 2.5. Apparently Avengers 2 will have MORE Iron Man. If that's true, then they might as well call it Iron Man 4.

#4 Edited by jhazzroucher (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man's films sold better than Iron man's except Iron Man 3. Spider-man has more appearances in all forms of media as well like comics, video games, etc....

So Iron Man has not surpassed Spider-man. But I could say Iron Man is next to Spider-man now.

#5 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#6 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say so. But perhaps as the next generation of fans comes through they will have had more exposure to Iron Man and we will see a change.

#7 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

In the movies yes. In the comic book world no. But this doc ock crap is bringing spidey down.

#8 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope but he's getting there. Especially if Slott keeps destroying Spider-man in the comics.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18813 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope but he's getting there. Especially if Slott keeps destroying Spider-man in the comics.

Finely changed your mind eh? Superior 9 was the last draw i guess :P

#10 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#11 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

Yeah. I'm still going to read SSM 14 because i'm ultimately curious to see if SpOck does become leader of the Hand but yeah. Issue 9 annoyed me a little to much for my liking.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18813 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@strider92 said:

Yeah. I'm still going to read SSM 14 because i'm ultimately curious to see if SpOck does become leader of the Hand but yeah. Issue 9 annoyed me a little to much for my liking.

Well i hope you enjoy it man :), because slott has lost me completely.

#13 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Also as Miguel is supposed to be returning to Superior I wanna stick around!!!! Hope O'Hara beats the crap out of SpOck lol!

#14 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18813 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Also as Miguel is supposed to be returning to Superior I wanna stick around!!!! Hope O'Hara beats the crap out of SpOck lol!

YESH! I WOULD LOVE DAT!

#15 Posted by Lvenger (21241 posts) - - Show Bio

You have passed the initiation test. Welcome to the cult :P

#16 Edited by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man may have passed Spider-Man in downright popularity but that's only because of RDJ. It's pretty safe to say that Spider-Man is still heaps and bounds more popular than Iron Man, especially in the comics.

#17 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Why thank you lol!

and btw:

GO TEAM KAINE!!!!!!!!!

#18 Posted by Lvenger (21241 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Why thank you lol!

and btw:

GO TEAM KAINE!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering when this would happen. Hopefully Kaine socks it to SpOck.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18813 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by SOG7dc (8186 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam:

well to be fair Robert downey jr is the best actor of the lot. and he wants more screen time he's gonna get more screen time

#21 Edited by SOG7dc (8186 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92:

what is this???? is this gonna happen in superior??? because i gave up on superior after issue 9 was a giant middle finger to the reader please give me the details lol

#22 Posted by The Stegman (26067 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but Robert Downey Jr. has.

#23 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Its a crossover between Superior and Scarlet Spider. It takes place in Scarlet Spider 20 and Superior Spider-man Team-Up 2. Basically Kaine visits Pete to see why he's acting like he is and and Superior then attempts to kill him as Kaine murdered Ock in cold blood during the Clone Sagavia breaking his neck. So yeah.........tis going to be brutal!

#24 Edited by SOG7dc (8186 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Black_Arrow (3978 posts) - - Show Bio

when RDJ quits the role, iron man popularity will decend

#26 Edited by TDK_1997 (15097 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is definitely getting more popular in the movies due to Robert Downey Jr. portraying his character, but as far as being more popular than Spider-Man in the comics? Well, Iron Man is close to Spider-Man's level of popularity, but not quite there yet.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

I wouldn't mind if he did but he hasn't and he won't.

#29 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree Iron Man is already more popular than Spider Man and Wolverine.

#30 Posted by Jack Donaghy (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man when played by RDJ may be more popular than Spider-Man at the moment, once he stops playing him his popularity will noticeably drop. Spider-Man on the other hand doesn't have to rely on a highly popular and charismatic actor to obtain a high level of popularity. The character itself is popular with Iron Man the person portraying the character is popular and by association the character has become much more popular than he normally would.

#31 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7868 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, Spider-Man is icon status. Back in the day everyone wanted a Spider-Man backpack.

#32 Posted by Jackmaa (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess, Spidey is the most iconic character of marvel through the comics, but in the MCU Iron Man is the most popular.

#33 Posted by Nobleman_ (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is simply trying to make Iron Man as popular as Spidey... Sure, it's a big win for RDJ, but now Iron Man is the poster-boy of almost every Avengers title - EMH, New Avengers, Avengers (and films), that stupid Avengers Assemble TV show... I still love Iron Man, but the way Marvel exploits his movie popularity is annoying.

#34 Posted by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that Peter's dead and the disaster of a Civil War is over, he definitely will.

#35 Posted by mk111 (3139 posts) - - Show Bio

In short:

In the films, yes.

In the comics, not even close. Spider-Man is still on top.

#36 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. Possibly.

Between Marvel killing both the 616 and ultimate versions of Parker and not having control over the movies, it's inevitable that the Spider-Man mantle would lose popular appeal. I think as a character he still is more relateable and thus is more likely to attract fans than even a well-promoted Stark, but RDJ has done a great job making his cinematic version memorable and I'm sure that has benefited his marketability overall quite a bit.

#37 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

I don't know. Possibly.

Between Marvel killing both the 616 and ultimate versions of Parker and not having control over the movies, it's inevitable that the Spider-Man mantle would lose popular appeal. I think as a character he still is more relateable and thus is more likely to attract fans than even a well-promoted Stark, but RDJ has done a great job making his cinematic version memorable and I'm sure that has benefited his marketability overall quite a bit.

That's the issue I'm seeing too. I can't believe Marvel killed off both 616 and the Ultimate version of Peter Parker. It's like something is wrong here when something like that happens to a character.