• 56 results
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

So when Marvel NOW started they introduced a new Hyperion with the same powers and origin of Superman. Now I Just realized they also made their very own Wonder Woman.

Hippolyta

No Caption Provided

Now Hippolyta in DC is the queen of the amazons and Wonder Woman's mom. In Marvel she is still the amazon queen, and that fine by itself because greek lore is greek lore, BUT that's not all.

In Fearless Defenders she was brought back with some new powers. She has always had super strength, but one of her new powers is...

Flight

No Caption Provided

And I mean that's fine. Lots of characters can fly. It's not like she has on magical wrist guards she uses to reflect stuff....

No Caption Provided

... yeah starting to see what I mean?

Now what really made me realized that she's Marvel's Wonder Woman was this...

No Caption Provided

Her super hero name is WARRIOR WOMAN! I don't think they could have gotten any more obvious. It wouldn't surprise me if she turns out to have a magic lasso to.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi

...yeah, that's cutting it pretty close. Hard to defend that in this day and age.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@teerack:

I hate ripoff characters! this would include:

doomsday

imperiex

shazam

hyperion

sentry

mr majestic

moon night

there are more that im forgetting

quicksilver

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ShadowX

To be fair Hippolyta has already existed in the marvel universe.. although not as long as wonder woman... She also has ties to noth norse and greek mythology.

And wouldnt the original marvel " wonder woman" character be Power Princess who appeared with the original Hyperion as a member of the Squadron Supreme, along with marvels parrell versions of other Dc heros, that was supposed to be an unofficial crossover between the two. And dc made copies of the fantastic four i think.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

The name seems a little lazy/unimaginative. It's like naming your character 'Soldier Man' or something.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Flight is a pretty basic power. Also does bracelets are armor... lots of people armor....she is blocking somebody with her armor... i didnt know wonder woman had a copyright on armor..

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@shadowx said:

Also Flight is a pretty basic power. Also does bracelets are armor... lots of people armor....she is blocking somebody with her armor... i didnt know wonder woman had a copyright on armor..

Yeah flight is a basic power which is why I said that. I can see how you'd think that was true about the armor, because it probably should be true.... But it's not. I challenge you to find an armored heroes with bracers that have uses them ever.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@shadowx said:

Yeah flight is a basic power which is why I said that. I can see how you'd think that was true about the armor, because it probably should be true.... But it's not. I challenge you to find an armored heroes with bracers that have uses them ever.

doesn't batman use his....

and the ones on deathstroke's costume (well,we've never seen him use those,but point is that there are LOTS of other characters that have used the bracers to deflect attacks.Not just wonder woman.That's like saying any hero in armor is a ripoff of Iron Man,or that any hero that can fly is a ripoff of Superman....although I've always thought of Hippolyta as a WW ripoff).

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

So?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_red_viper  Moderator

@sog7dc said:

@teerack:

doomsday

imperiex

shazam

hyperion

sentry

mr majestic

moon night

quicksilver

And Deadpool...

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sog7dc said:

@teerack:

doomsday

imperiex

shazam

hyperion

sentry

mr majestic

moon night

quicksilver

And Deadpool...

And Aquaman

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_red_viper  Moderator
dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No single detail marks her as a Wonder Woman ripoff, but collectively it's pretty obvious. Whenever either company does this it just strikes me as pointless - ripoff characters are never interesting until they do something to distinguish themselves as unique - so why not start with uniqueness? Artistically speaking, it's a terrible strategy.

Furthermore, as a Wonder Woman fan there's no way I'm going to buy a book featuring Warrior Woman due to my fondness for the original, so it doesn't even seem like a good marketing strategy either.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is getting desperate.

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Johnni_Kun

@sog7dc: If you hate "ripoff" characters, then there should be a lot more Marvel characters on that list.........

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And they both hate Hercules.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Umm both characters have existed for almost 40 years

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Wow they didn't even bother to try with her.

@dh69 said:

I hope you aren't talking about Wonder Woman who has been around since late 1941....

Little more than 40 years.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69 said:

I hope you aren't talking about Wonder Woman who has been around since late 1941....

no hippolyta and hyperion, i'm saying its a bit late to criticize these characters when they've been around for quite some time, and i was wrong hippolyta has been around since the 60's so thats 50+

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Veshark

*shrugs* Not overtly bothered by this.

Though on that note, the most-recent Hyperion is proving to be a very interesting character.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69 said:

@pokeysteve said:

@dh69 said:

no hippolyta and hyperion, i'm saying its a bit late to criticize these characters when they've been around for quite some time, and i was wrong hippolyta has been around since the 60's so thats 50+

Lol ok just checking. The OP made it seem like her powers are new. Maybe she's an older character that got an update. A very unoriginal update.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't be long now till we see 12 Wonder Woman vs Warrior Woman threads.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lykopis

Not too enthusiastic about her, just seems a bit of over-kill in the Fearless Defenders title where you already have Valkyrie --

Meh. I did like the Age of Ultron book with her -- interesting. Plus, she's got some history which shores her up in terms of Amazonian mythos that I would be interested in seeing. I like mythology being used in comics although I would rather Marvel branch out into South-Asian lore.

Not feeling the blonde dreadlocks either.

Yeah, just meh for me on this one. As for being Wonder Woman's copy, definitely Power Princess like someone has already mentioned earlier in this thread. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@sog7dc: Explain to me how Shazam is a rip off?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@jonny_anonymous said:

DC felt that a flying darkhaired man in a spangly outfit, a cape, a logo on his chest, with super strength, speed, durability and so on was too much... especially since Captain Marvel was selling something like 2 million copies a month, far more than Superman has ever done and DC couldn't have that. You can rip it off an fail just fine, but the hammer is coming down if you do it better.

That said, it's pretty obvious that Marvel is trolling the New 52 Wonder Woman by making their Hippolyta nearly identical powerwise and how she got those powers to the post COIE Wonder Woman.

That said, Marvels Hippolyta is less regal than DC's Hippolyta, more of a brigand than a queen.

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

DC felt that a flying darkhaired man in a spangly outfit, a cape, a logo on his chest, with super strength, speed, durability and so on was too much... especially since Captain Marvel was selling something like 2 million copies a month, far more than Superman has ever done and DC couldn't have that. You can rip it off an fail just fine, but the hammer is coming down if you do it better.

That said, it's pretty obvious that Marvel is trolling the New 52 Wonder Woman by making their Hippolyta nearly identical powerwise and how she got those powers to the post COIE Wonder Woman.

That said, Marvels Hippolyta is less regal than DC's Hippolyta, more of a brigand than a queen.

No Caption Provided

Even though Captain Marvel had all them power before superman did?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28  Edited By Outside_85

@jonny_anonymous: Back then, yeah, apparently there were a lot of other Superman-copies running around at the time and DC sued every single one of them, Fawsett and their Captain Marvel were just the biggest competitor.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

these two companies (and smaller ones) have been modifying ideas for ever. Hell, Hyperion and the Squadron supreme were sort created in honor of the justice league. and Hyperion has been a play on the superman character without any hiding it (one I have always liked more).

If any marvel character is wonder woman it is Zarda (aka Power Princess)....... This has and will happen, why do we have to have people crying foul? Very few things are really that original now adays and even those things that seem as though they are can be traced back to something. it's life, people see something and then find ways to improve it or adapt it. I'm over it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: He's superman minus heat vision and freeze breath plus magic. Total ripoff

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@jonny_anonymous: He's superman minus heat vision and freeze breath plus magic. Total ripoff

Yet Captain Marvel had the "flying strong guy" powers before Superman did.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

really care to prove that? im not calling you a liar or casting aspersions. but if im wrong id like to know so I don't go calling superman "the orginal superhero" or "the reason theyre called 'super' heroes"

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@sog7dc said:

really care to prove that? im not calling you a liar or casting aspersions. but if im wrong id like to know so I don't go calling superman "the orginal superhero" or "the reason theyre called 'super' heroes"

Literately look it up anywhere on the internet, it's a pretty common fact. Namor could even fly before Superman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

I found this on the internet basically Marvel was a ripoff+ flight:

"DC got annoyed since it was basically a clone of superman + flight and sued them because they were gonna use superman as there big gun

ok exclude flight and lets go over what he copied

the boyscout charm- captain marvel copied

super strength- captain marvel copied

super speed- captain marvel copied

super durablity- captain marvel copied

super stamina- captain marvel copied

super senses- captain marvel copied

surviving in space- captain marvel copied

superman grows more powerful than guess what happens- captain marvel copied that

than theres flight- superman copied"

and this:

"Your missing what Valtot is saying, Superman was created first and then Captain Marvel arrived in 1939 and copied most of supermans power set, Captain Marvel looked and acted much like Superman did. Even if CM looks where roughly based on Fred MacMurry, they did copy supermans power set, which lead to a court case in 1948 which said that Captain Marvel was an infringement but DC had slipped up and not copy righted all of their Superman newpaper comics so the court ruled in favour of Fawcett but in 1952 Fawcett was found to be at fault as they had copied some of Supermans stories and Fawcett decided to settle out of court. So he was roughly based of Superman in the eyes of the law. So it was not because he was more popular it was more to do with several legal matters."

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@jonny_anonymous:

"DC got annoyed since it was basically a clone of superman + flight and sued them because they were gonna use superman as there big gun

superman grows more powerful than guess what happens- captain marvel copied that

and this:

"Your missing what Valtot is saying, Superman was created first and then Captain Marvel arrived in 1939 and copied most of supermans power set, Captain Marvel looked and acted much like Superman did. Even if CM looks where roughly based on Fred MacMurry, they did copy supermans power set, which lead to a court case in 1948 which said that Captain Marvel was an infringement but DC had slipped up and not copy righted all of their Superman newpaper comics so the court ruled in favour of Fawcett but in 1952 Fawcett was found to be at fault as they had copied some of Supermans stories and Fawcett decided to settle out of court. So he was roughly based of Superman in the eyes of the law. So it was not because he was more popular it was more to do with several legal matters."

Superman wasn't a boyscout back then and as for everything else every super hero has them powers, is Hulk a rip off of Superman then?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@jonny_anonymous:

and this:

"Your missing what Valtot is saying, Superman was created first and then Captain Marvel arrived in 1939 and copied most of supermans power set, Captain Marvel looked and acted much like Superman did.Even if CM looks where roughly based on Fred MacMurry, they did copy supermans power set, which lead to a court case in 1948 which said that Captain Marvel was an infringement but DC had slipped up and not copy righted all of their Superman newpaper comics so the court ruled in favour of Fawcett but in 1952 Fawcett was found to be at fault as they had copied some of Supermans stories and Fawcett decided to settle out of court. So he was roughly based of Superman in the eyes of the law. So it was not because he was more popular it was more to do with several legal matters."

Superman wasn't a boyscout back then and as for everything else every super hero has them powers, is Hulk a rip off of Superman then?

1. no other heroes had those powers in 1939

2. superman came before marvel "leaping tall buildings in a single bound" then marvel comes along and says "I can do everything that guy can do only I can fly too"

3. marvel copied how he looks and how he acts

4. show me superman not being a boyscout back then im pretty sure he came out defending "truth justice and the American way" sounds pretty boyscoutish to me

5. hulk didn't come until 23 years later after marvel realized theyd get sued for blatant ripoffs so they had to be more creative. hulk has zero to do with this debate

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Superman didn't come out boyscout, he came out throwing woman beaters at walls

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is she banging Hyperion?

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21:

lol I was trolling. but id never heard of namor til this year. I assumed he was a ripoff of aquaman

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sog7dc: Actually Namor came first, and Aquaman was meant to compete with him. Some would call Aquaman the ripoff.

Cobalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumblebee is clearly a rip off of Wasp

Doom Patrol were originally a rip off of the Fantastic Four

Swamp thing is a rip off of Man thing

Black cat is a rip off of Catwoman (People think it, I dont)

People say Ms. marvel is a rip off of Supergirl.

People think X-23 is a Cassandra Cain rip off.

It happens in comics so get over it!

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think they should have just made Athena into Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent, they did great things with her in Hercules. Though I guess Athena is more of a manipulator, kind of a benevolent Loki.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get over guys. These kinda thing happens on a daily basis in he comic book industries. lol

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@cobalion: X-Men were a rip off of Doom Patrol. They had that "we don't fit with the rest" thing going on along with a wheel chair bond leader about like 3 months before Marvel released the X-Men