#1 Posted by JulieDC (904 posts) - - Show Bio

What I mean are any of Marvel's heroes origin stories ever reimagined or updated for modern times? Kind of like all of the Superman origin stories?

I ask this because having seen The Avengers, I've been very curious about Captain America and find the idea of him being a man out of time very interesting. I'd like to know if there are any stories dealing with him having to adjust to being in a new time.

#2 Posted by SC (12951 posts) - - Show Bio

Usually only in a soft sense, never complete overhauls. Iron Man for example, his origin has changed a bit details wise. usually retellings are common. Or more details are expanded on. We have had like Avengers Origins, Avengers Season One, and a few other one shots, mini series, that revisit Avengers origin. I am not a big Captain America fan so don't know many stories that focus in depth on his adjustment to modern day living. There are bits and pieces in aforementioned stories.

#3 Posted by Pyrogram (36363 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people take inspiration or picks from other ideas and turn it into something new that will interest new readers. Thor...Thor's origins have maybe not been re-done but his younger self has been changed or talk about more often recently and that has gone a bit strange, nobody knows his age these days xD

#4 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

What I mean are any of Marvel's heroes origin stories ever reimagined or updated for modern times? Kind of like all of the Superman origin stories?

I ask this because having seen The Avengers, I've been very curious about Captain America and find the idea of him being a man out of time very interesting. I'd like to know if there are any stories dealing with him having to adjust to being in a new time.

Captain America: Man out of Time!

I can't recommend this story enough. It's written by Mark Waid, and is basically a more in-depth retelling of Cap's early days with the Avengers and him adjusting to the 21st century. It's emotional and yet hopeful - a fantastic Cap story and Waid considers it one of his best.

#5 Posted by PunyParker (9558 posts) - - Show Bio

DONT TOUCH ME SPIDAH-MAN!!!
They already screwed him the f*ck up.....

#6 Posted by JulieDC (904 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@juliedc said:

Captain America: Man out of Time!

I can't recommend this story enough. It's written by Mark Waid, and is basically a more in-depth retelling of Cap's early days with the Avengers and him adjusting to the 21st century. It's emotional and yet hopeful - a fantastic Cap story and Waid considers it one of his best.

You just made me a very happy person. Thanks!!!

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc

I knew it'd be perfect when I first read your post! Let me know what you think if you pick it up :)

#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

only very very small and unimportant details have modified over time. only to some heroes though.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

They changed Spider-Womans origin story around a bit. There were some quite obvious changes, probably just to add some drama, but in the end, it ended up basically the same. Some of the changes I liked, some I didn't, but it's worth a read.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea they do, for example in the 616 the Punisher is no longer a Vietnam vet he is now a vet of the Gulf War