Do you prefer the Marvel Universe before Marvel NOW?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Just like similar to whether or not you prefer DC's pre New 52 universe to their New 52, do you prefer the Marvel Universe before Marvel NOW?

For me, even though I have been enjoying the Hawkeye comics in Marvel NOW, I do prefer some characters before Marvel NOW, like the X-Men. There are some changes in Marvel NOW that I don't care for such as the constant breaking up of fan favorite couples.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not really much difference

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the cosmic canon yes I preferred the Marvel Universe before Bendis came in to change the continuity.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its the exact same universe

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the pre-Joe Q douche brigade. They restarted comics and did the anniversary thing but nowhere near as bad as they do now. I grew up with Marvel but wouldn't touch their books with a 39 and a half foot pole now.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kgb725: He means do you prefer the titles and the continuity before Marvel Now.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I prefer the pre-Joe Q douche brigade. They restarted comics and did the anniversary thing but nowhere near as bad as they do now. I grew up with Marvel but wouldn't touch their books with a 39 and a half foot pole now.

I really don't like the fact that Marvel keeps relaunching their titles without letting them run a while longer. That's probably what annoys me about the Marvel NOW titles (although this all started way before Marvel NOW).

Mechapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've missed a lot since I was a kid and reading comics in the late 80s. While there are definitely cool stories and events happening now, I still prefer the universe back then. That may change as I read more new (and newer) material; I am really enjoying the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Nova.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechapod: I presume it's more so referring to the stories shortly before the relaunch as comparing it to the 40 years of stories beforehand is a bit unfair.

Mechapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Well, it wasn't clarified in the original question, but still I don't think its very unfair. Marvel has set some very high standards with their previous releases over those decades; comics aren't cheap and if they want me to spend my little bit of cash on them, I expect the work to live up to the previous releases.

I've been very happy with the Original Sin stories and also just finished reading the new Thanos book, which I enjoyed as well. :) I love Starlin's work and very happy to see he's still working on Thanos stories.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechapod: Well, Hickman and Aaron's runs have been called by some to be the best of Avengers and Thor already. Mark Waid is reinventing "Silver Ageism" and giving it a modern feel. But my favourite part is that, I presume due to trying to find stuff to promote out of X Men/Spider Verse, they're concentrating on usually underrated characters.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got into marvel when the marvel now thing started, so i am a bit ignorant. All i know is that im loving most of what is coming out. I love the little editors notes that refer to back issues, i love going on hunts for them to fill the little holes in my brain from the stories.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@kgb725 said:

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I liked the MU better before the end of the Heroic Age.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I forgot, when did the Heroic Age started?

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah i'll just go with the flow...im enjoying the hulk's run right now and also Hawkeye.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@teerack said:

I forgot, when did the Heroic Age started?

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's certain things I liked much better previously like Daredevil and Captain America, but overall I'd say Marvel Now might be the best Marvel has been overall. I wish I could read everything.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Funny thing is I love Marvel Studios movie and because of that I read comics but for some reason I just can't get into Marvel Comics universe. It is really complicated to explain. I hope someone understand my problem

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zarius

Oh no, it's perfectly understandable. Marvel Movies, for all their flaws, have great characters, very clear and defined stakes, and have a begining, a middle, and an end with an otherwise optimistic and engaging ending where you feel good you spent a few hours in good company.

Marvel comics routinely kick you in the balls for ever having spent any money on their boring, frequently angsty balls-up of storytelling with unlikeable lead and supporting characters, combined with ridiculous and confusing gimmicks in place of structured storytelling with acceptable stakes, written for the easily pleased and the incredibly low in intellect.

Oh, and anyone still harping on about this being the same universe as always is deluding themselves, it's been an alternate reality since One More Day

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

I like Marvel Now better because...well, it has better titles.

MikeyJ122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Mavel the best before the multiverse even existed. Basically when it was just the 616, that was the best imo. It was a lot easier to follow and understand then imo, now it seems very confusing and how do you know what universe the title you are reading takes place in? But the MCU does give modern Marvel a BIG boost, because I love all of those movies. So I'm going to call it a draw, I prefer the comics of the 80's and 90's, but the MCU does carry a lot of weight.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

Oh no, it's perfectly understandable. Marvel Movies, for all their flaws, have great characters, very clear and defined stakes, and have a beginning, a middle, and an end with an otherwise optimistic and engaging ending where you feel good you spent a few hours in good company.

Marvel comics routinely kick you in the balls for ever having spent any money on their boring, frequently angsty balls-up of storytelling with unlikeable lead and supporting characters, combined with ridiculous and confusing gimmicks in place of structured storytelling with acceptable stakes, written for the easily pleased and the incredibly low in intellect.

Oh, and anyone still harping on about this being the same universe as always is deluding themselves, it's been an alternate reality since One More Day

This!

I'm down to only reading Avengers and Fantastic Four from Marvel these days. I've dropped several titles due to really bad writing and artwork. There are some other titles I would love to pick up, but it's also a matter of affordability. Comics have become way too expensive and the quality of product is not always there.