Could the Inhumans become bigger than X-Men?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

A trade report in March 2011 said Marvel Entertainment is developing an Inhumans film. It describes the film as being "in the vein of X-Men about aliens who were put on Earth as a sleeper cell to eventually call back their race to take over the planet."

In November 2012, Stan Lee reported that the film is in development. So with this idea of Inhuman sleeper agents being on Earth, interbreeding with humans and passing down their genes to humans, it does make sense we could see any mutants Marvel owns to be made into Inhumans. And with that comes the possibility we could see Marvel really pushing Inhuman characters.

One of their newest series is based on the Inhumans called "Inhuman" which the synopsis for the series is

"The newest super heroes of the Marvel Universe are born! A cloud of Terrigen mist is moving around the world turning regular people into Inhumans with amazing powers. But not everyone thinks this is a good thing. Discover the secret history of the Marvel Universe and get in at the ground floor of the next big Marvel franchise!"

That tells me we will DEFINITELY see Marvel pushing the Inhumans more as a stand in for both mutants AND the X-Men as a whole in the Cinematic Universe. With that in mind could we actually see a day where the Inhumans overtake the X-Men in terms of popularity with non comic readers?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Interesting

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

no

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@jonny_anonymous said:

no

Care to explain? Keep in mind Iron Man was a relative unknown before his movie.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
Loading Video...

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Okay BIGGER than the X-Men is probably going too far, but you can't deny the logic I presented.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

no

Care to explain? Keep in mind Iron Man was a relative unknown before his movie.

Yea and he's still not bigger than the X-Men

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Okay BIGGER than the X-Men is probably going too far, but you can't deny the logic I presented.

I completely understand your point and agree that the Inhumans might grow in popularity. The X-Men are the X-Men though.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have the same concerns as well. they can easily retcon all mutants as inhumans and push the inhuman agenda.
It only makes sense. They'll let Fox do whatever with X-men thought as they still make money of it.

but no it won't be anywhere near as big as X-men in the near future

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Considering how many kids of the 90s (and to a lesser extent, kids of the 80s) grew up with the X-Men, I doubt it.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't be bigger than the Xmen and never will be, but it can be bigger than what it is now

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FearTheLiving

It could be a bigger film (as in make more money) but in general I don't think Inhumans could surpass X-men, unless they start pimping them and losen the reins on X-Men then a couple generations later maybe lol.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I don't see the Inhumans becoming bigger than the X-Men since many fans (especially outside of the comic book community) have fond memories of the X-Men and would want the franchise to keep going. Probably the worst thing to come out of this is that some fans, who haven't read the comics, would think that the Inhumans are a rip-off of the X-Men or could be used to replace the X-men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which some fans might not take well to that.

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By powerplay

I mean just think about the sheer number of x books right now. I doubt that the Inhumans will ever be anywhere near popular enough for that level of exposure. I'll be honest, the only Inhuman I even have a passing interest in is Black Bolt. Meanwhile, X-men has tons of great characters.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By primebonnick
Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pizzaman
No Caption Provided

lol! No way.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I mean, this is the X-Men that we're talking about. C'mon. The X-Men. C'mon.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strictly speaking films, the Inhumans could become more popular than the X-Men.

vallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vallis

Most definately.

Hardly any non comic readers cared about Iron Man or Thor before their films, now everyone can't stop mentioning them. People also loved Guardians. All Marvel has to do is make a film with them being likable and BAM. They're already starting with Agents of Shield.

Its not like it would be hard for them to pull this off. Who really cares about the other X-men in the films besides Wolverine. X-men movies might as well be renamed "Wolverine". I can't think of a single relevant thing in the films the rest of the team did. They were all cardboard boxes that wouldn't be missed if you replaced them with any other random mutant. Out of all the 3 films Iceman froze some beer, made an icewall, and turned into ice just for fan service and Cyclops, Storm and the rest did even less than that. They aren't really even a team in the films. More like "Wolverine does most of the badass stuff while we flash our powers once in a while incase people forget we have them". The X-men films were Wolverine and Magneto. Much of the supporting cast felt like they didn't even need to be there.

So yeah, get some good writers, make them as likable as Iron Man and Guardians, and you've nabbed the non comic fans. Which make up the bulk of the people who will be spending money on the film.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

General Audience: Maybe, yes

Comic Fans: Probably Not :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

With good movie + books yes

with bad movie + books no

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@smart_dork_dude: they can be popular if they have great and amazing comics series like Chris Claremont legendary amazing awesome X-men. So far no Inhumans is even that close to be good

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I can see, it look like it. I like the Inhumans. I'm so into Medusa, but I just don't wish for them to go on war with the X men and Marvel is willing to do this. Probably another retcon or reboot will be happening again in other comics just to match them to the movie :(

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Transformers1024

Nope.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Eventually perhaps.

But as of now, X men have had vastly greater exposure and fan base while Inhumans are relatively unknown.