#1 Posted by Jake7696 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite collecting comics for a while I am fairly new to Marvel comics. At the moment I am picking up Super Spider-Man and Wolverine. I'm enjoying these I just wondered if there are any other people would recommend?

#2 Posted by Cap10nate (2155 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake7696: I think that there are a lot of good titles being released by Marvel right now. I will give some highlights of my favorites below. I don't read any of the X titles so hopefully someone else can give some reviews on them.

1. Thor: God of Thunder - This has been my favorite Marvel title so far as a whole. The whole story takes place in three different time periods (young Thor, current Thor, and King Thor) all dealing with Gorr the God butcher who is trying to kill all the Gods in the Marvel Universe. The dialog has been fantastic as has the art by Ribic. There is plenty of good action along with one of the more unique stories that Marvel is publishing. I believe that the current arc only has an issue or two left. If you want to go back and read the first 9 issues, I would highly recommend the series. If not, I would wait until this arc is finished because it definitely is not a great jumping on point at the moment because they are right at the climax of the story.
  2. Secret Avengers - The fifth issue was just released yesterday to this high action and witty story. The book is more of a S.H.I.E.L.D. book and uses the super heroes (Hawkeye, Black Widow, Mockingbird, and Hulk so far) to supplement their missions. The catch is that all these heroes agreed to be a part of this 'team' but their minds are wiped after each mission so they never know what is happening. This is the book that is most heavily influenced from the cinematic Universe. Coulson is a big character as is Nick Fury Jr. I think the pacing is great in the book and it has a lot of twists and turns with only 5 issues so far and is a fun ride so far.
  3. New Avengers - This is another book that I look forward to each month. It is a very intense book dealing with an end of the world situation. The only people who know about this issue are the Illuminati (Iron Man, Black Panther, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, Blackbolt, Beast, and Captain America). The characters have been great as they make extremely difficult decisions. Their interactions are fantastic as it is a very unique team dynamic.
  4. Indestructible Hulk - Mark Waid has been doing a really good job with the Jade Giant so far. Similar to his work on Daredevil (another great ongoing Marvel title that I have sadly fallen behind on), he takes a character in Bruce Banner who is usually besieged with misery and make him happy. The premise of the story is that Bruce Banner wants to create and invent new things and not just be remembered for destroying things as the Hulk. He approaches Maria Hill about a position at S.H.I.E.L.D. and offers to lend them the Hulk in exchange for a lab to be able to create as Banner. It has been a fun story so far.
  5. Hawkeye - Hawkeye has been a really good read so far as well. It is about Clint Barton's life when he is not with the Avengers. The art is done by David Aja. His art takes a while to get used to but it is fantastic for the this story. Matt Fraction weaves in a lot of humor in this book which just released its eleventh issue.
  6. Uncanny Avengers - This is the unity team for the Avengers and X-Men post AvX. The team is less than united though. It is a good tale of the heroes struggling to work together. The first arc was good, but I think that it has kicked things into another gear with the start of the second arc which has both Kang and Apocalypse as villains. Some of the team arguments are over the top but I am enjoying the story nonetheless.
  7. Captain America - It is a different tale than we are used to with the Sentinel of Liberty. He is trapped in a dimension run by his enemy Arim Zola. He saves a child from Zola's clutches and raises him as his own while he is trapped in this dimension for over 10 years. The story has been pretty crazy so far, but like Thor, is not at a good jumping on point. A lot of things have happened in the last couple issues. I would probably rate this higher, but I am not a fan of John Romita Jr.'s art for the most part. I don't like the way he draws faces although his action scenes are pretty good.
  8. Scarlet Spider - I like this title a lot. I have never followed Spider-Man much but am really enjoying this story. It could be higher on this list but I don't know where to put it. It follows Kaine, on of Parker's clones, as he tries to make his life in Houston. It has a lot of good action and has been very entertaining so far.

I am also reading Avengers, but am still torn on whether or not I like it.

I have recently dropped Fantastic Four and Guardians of the Galaxy because I have not been a fan of the stories.

Also, if you are interested in reading books outside the Marvel Universe, I would definitely recommend the Valiant Universe. I am reading Harbinger and X-O Manowar and they are both easily in my top 5 favorite books each month.

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2155 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake7696: Also. Welcome to the Comic Vine community.

#4 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

I would recommend Captain Marvel, FF, Avengers Assemble and Uncanny Avengers. :)

#5 Posted by batmannflash (6187 posts) - - Show Bio

Pick up Daredevil! I also recommend All New X-Men and Superior Spider-Man (but of course you're getting that one already). Those are my favorite current Marvel titles.

Indestrucible Hulk, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Savage Wolverine, and Uncanny Avengers are also pretty good.

#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2510 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye is flawless

Thor: God of Thunder

Scarlet Spider. I never thought it could be said but Kaine is more Spider-Man than Peter.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (38543 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise:

I wish Kaine was Spider Man instead of Peter. I find him more interesting.

#9 Posted by KingOfAsh (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihilation: Conquest

#10 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-man trololololol.

#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

But seriously despite all the haters DD is really good. It's just a different take on the character.