Martian Manhunter #3

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's pretty bizarre to pick up an issue of a book to see the titular character dead on the first page. However, that's what's going on in this issue of MARTIAN MANHUNTER. Tonally, it's different from everything else that Martian Manhunter has starred in and this issue throws readers through loop after loop, keeping them on their toes.

A good chunk of this issue revolves around what's going on with Mr Biscuits, the strange martian who befriends children, and fans of this book have fallen in love with him. Without spoiling the issue or where this story is really going, it's easy to understand the importance of this really weird character that writer Rob Williams has tossed into the mix. He's going to be a big part of this book, as this war between the martians and Earthlings continues forward.

On the downside of things, there's a lot of new elements being introduced in this issue, since everything fans know and love about this character has been flipped on its head, and all those new elements feel like they're not explored as well as they could have been in this issue. In the long run, these elements easily have legs and will probably work well, but here, there's a bit of a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Williams is doing a stellar job at not only setting up these characters, but slowly delivering this war between martians as the invasion looms closer. Where a lot of this book shines is in the art of Eddy Barrows (pencils), Eber Ferreira (inks), and Gabe Eltaeb (colors). The book has this extremely dark and creepy look to it which makes this story so much more interesting. It plays on the ideas of science fiction films of the past and morph those stories into what they actually arc: pure horror.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER is probably the biggest surprise to come out of the post-CONVERGENCE DC Universe. It's a series that has it's own look and feel and tonally, is one of the most interesting things on the shelf. The biggest problem with the issue is that it throws almost too much at the reader for a single issue. In trade, this will play out a little better, most likely. However, MARTIAN MANHUNTER is hauntingly good and plays upon lots of fears that everyone has, while telling a really good DC story about an underrated character.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

First! Series has been amazing. Love MM

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

First! Series has been amazing. Love MM

This

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm digging this series so far. And I love how they finally mentioned oreo's, a little connection to the past.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Cover of the week candidate?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

I been meaning to get this.Can somebody tell how different J'onn is from pre 52?

Lairdriver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love MM. Extremely powerful. Nearly on the level of Superman only he has powers that Superman doesn't Xavier level telepathy, shape shifting, phasing, martian vision. I truly hope we get to see him in a Justice League film.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@daredevil21134: he's pretty different, his personality seems kind of similar, but his old origin is now just a cover story

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best series of the new DCU..

rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a little disappointed that Mr. Biscuits ended up not being his own character but overall still really enjoying this new take on J'onn.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Love it

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, worth picking up? Better to wait for the trade?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

This is a great series

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Awful cover.

Avatar image for dannilosantiago
dannilosantiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was worried with the way the Martia Manhunter has been treated since the New 52...The character simple has no place there...But now,with Rob Willians and the crew,J'onn is getting some good treatment.This is an new story and a new vision for the character,which i'm loving so far...Really want to see where it leads!

But I still hope to see J'onn back to the League...It's been 5 years and nothing :/

Avatar image for dannilosantiago
dannilosantiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dannilosantiago

@daredevil21134: Well...To put it simple...

J'onzz J'onzz in the New 52 is a cold,dark and misterious character who do what he wants and has it's own obscure purposes...He is a Hero,but his methods sometimes ca be harsh and even cruel."The Most dangerous Character in the DC Universe"

J'onn J'onnz in the Pre New 52 is a wise,fair and powerful hero...The Heart and Soul of the Justice League,who always put the team in front of his own desires.And a philosopher who prefer reason over violence,but also an Manhunter who fight when needs too...

Thats just the basics :P

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@teerack: I quite like it, it draws the eye.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont understand when people say that J'onn had no place in the new 52. Maybe they just didnt read Storm Watch, Justice League of America, or Justice League Unlimited.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers