Why Isn't Martian Manhunter More Popular?

• 88 results
jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jonEsherfey

I don't get it. Yes Martian Manhunter is in Stormwatch but he should get his own comic. He has a cool back story and powers so whats not to like?. Can you guys explain to me why he isn't more popular?

-jonEsherfey

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Because we as fans have not done our share. We didn't campaign a fraction as hard as we could of for him in the years before the reboot. Not as many people bought his series and miniseries or so on and so forth. A great deal of us apparently just didn't start caring until it was too late.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Well, during the advent of super heroes during the spike in media, he was always absent...that has to be a factor right there.Every member of the original League has either had their own show or have been prominently featured in a cartoon.....Except J'onn. Unless you count that Justice league pilot that is laughable

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DocFatalis

Two reasons according to me:

1) It is difficult for most people to relate to him: he is an alien and has suffered the ultimate pain. loosing your family AND planet puts you in a different category. That is something none of us would like to experience.

2) He's your best buddy: What I mean is that we are all firmly convinced that even if we don't support him or show him affection, he'll still be around no matter what. He is infinitely reliable and indispensable. There is no good Justice League without a Martian Manhunter. We all know and accept it, yet we take it (and him) for granted.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

What DocFatalis said

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DocFatalis

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Why thank you.

Now if you sign this little contract here in exchange for a few drops of your blood, I'll make you a Latverian citizen and you won't have to care about anything anymore ever, just SIGN!

Sorry, I meant, have an other glass of Cognac, abandon your free will and just sign. Fatalis will take it from now on.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Hazlenaut

He does not have catchy tune and we have yet to see his side characters.

Sparky_BW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sparky_BW

I like Martian Manhunter. He is just an odd character.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By YoggSaron

He hasn't had nearly as much outside media exposure as the other main members of the Justice League, he has no recognizable logo, and writers are often lost in just what to do with the character.

That being said, he should be more popular not only because he is a great character, but also because he has the most awesome superhero name of all time.

batchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By batchild

As some have said hes difficult to relate to and he doesn't have a large amount of villans. It would be difficult to craft some villans for him because it would basically be another book where a hero is fighting other-worldly beings. Since DC does a lot of those comics it would be weird to do another one. Also his fan-base is almost non-existant you just don't hear people asking for him a lot. I personally think he got snubbed when the new justice league book came out. He is waaaaayyy cooler than Cyborg. But because he appeals to the masses better he was chosen (wrongfully) over MM.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrShway88

I was upset that MM is no longer one of the original justice league members. He will always be part of the original in my view.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ratman19

i dont think its because hes not relatable. batmans not relatable but everyone likes him. he just needs his own comic with his own villians and side charecters.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I agree, we have to tell DC we want him to have his own series or to be a bigger part in the DC universe

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By britsera

He's hard to give his own series imho, just because his personality lacks a "star quality" - he's very quiet, kind of the rock of the group. Imagine Trek with Spock as the captain. We love him, and need him, but the show would not be nearly as fun.

I hope he replaces Cyborg soon...

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Malonius

MM could be potentially cool. I'd like to read the new Stormwatch to see what they're doing with him.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_tree

@Malonius said:

MM could be potentially cool. I'd like to read the new Stormwatch to see what they're doing with him.

I like the book, but if you're going to read it just for MM, then you might as well just not. When he's awesome, he's f###ing awesome, but he's very underutilized, and he's recently left the team.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Malonius

@The_Tree said:

@Malonius said:

I like the book, but if you're going to read it just for MM, then you might as well just not. When he's awesome, he's f###ing awesome, but he's very underutilized, and he's recently left the team.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought he was in charge of monitoring extra-terrestrial activity on Earth in the new 52 Stormwatch. You can see I'm way behind.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JonSmith

Yeah, yeah, all these are good answers, but they're jumping around the real reason.

It's because he's green.

THERE I SAID IT.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bluefox170

@JonSmithsaid:

Yeah, yeah, all these are good answers, but they're jumping around the real reason.

It's because he's green.

THERE I SAID IT.

Haha, Brutally honest but probably true :P plus he's not nearly relatable in the slightest.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Twentyfive

He is straight up uninteresting.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Malonius

Here's some things I don't understand about MM. Like I said earlier, he seems like a potentially really cool character.

1. Why does MM even hang around Earth? Why not go anywhere in the universe?

2. I know he's devastated by the loss of his family and his species, but the way he handles it is very different then Batman and Superman. He doesn't seem psychotically obsessed with preventing injustice like Batman or feel the kind of Boy Scout conscience that Superman has that makes him want to help the people who adopted him. Why does MM do the super-hero thing at all? He doesn't owe humans anything as far as I know.

3. He's incredibly powerful. He could fight most of Superman's villains, but he doesn't have any of his own really. How does he spend his time? If he wants to be a superhero and has all this power, why not run around helping other superheroes out?

4. I know he's a great detective, but what kind of crimes are there really that could really challenge a guy like this.

I guess what I'm getting at is that MM is kinda superfluous in the popular DC sphere. His powers and history are kinda a combo of Batman and Superman so he doesn't have much to add to a situation except that his assistance would probably end most problems in less than a panel. Yet he strikes me as a very unique and intriguing character. He also kinda makes me think of Silver Surfer what with brooding and introspective personality, but Surfer is always caught up in Herald stuff and always driven to try to atone for his time as a herald. What is MM's motivation? What does he want to do with his life?

TrainMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TrainMe

I was indifferent about Martian Manhunter. To me he was just there doing stuff. He seemed like a glorified babysitter in the justice league animated series. He is the most powerful Justice League member and the least active. Seriously the Justice league does not need MMH in terms of real world appeal.

CaptainDoeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainDoeo

I ask myself this a lot recently. Because he is green. People hate going green.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Malonius: 1. He hangs around Earth because it's his adopted planet, he loves Earth's people and customs and has formed a great deal of lasting relationships. To put it simply, it's his home now. 2. He has several of his own villains, and he did help other superheroes, mostly fellow Justice Leaguers.He also had a civilian life as John Jones.3. Martian Manhunter motivation is his compassion. He absolutely refuses to let his new home suffer the same fate as his old one.

zbrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zbrush

Meh. I don't think he makes a good Justice League character the way he is now. Take away the super strength martian Vision ETC. He should be no where NEAR supermans level of strengh

Just leave him with intangibility, Limited shape shifting, and mind reading. THEN the character would make more sense to me.

Lost_Nomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Lost_Nomad

@Twentyfive said:

I'll have to agree with you on this one. He can be pretty cool at times but there is nothing overly unique about him that makes him interesting. He has the same powers as nearly every other DC character plus a ton of other ones...the guy has way to many powers in my opinion and I don't overly enjoy that about a character personally.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twentyfive

@Lost_Nomad: Thank you for your input. MMH does have some stories, like "Trying, but failing to fit in with humans, and missing his home world" but that is a Superman story. MMH is a character that is strictly a team character. I can't really see a solo series. People suddenly take interest in him (in my opinion) because he got replaced by Cyborg.

Lost_Nomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lost_Nomad

@Twentyfive said:

@Lost_Nomad: Thank you for your input. MMH does have some stories, like "Trying, but failing to fit in with humans, and missing his home world" but that is a Superman story. MMH is a character that is strictly a team character. I can't really see a solo series. People suddenly take interest in him (in my opinion) because he got replaced by Cyborg.

Yeah the only reason there is so much commotion about him lately. Personally I like cyborg more, he is more unique than MM imo

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By britsera

@JonSmith said:

It's because he's green.

THERE I SAID IT.

lol. Bet Miss Martian could get a comic if she wanted.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AtPhantom

@Twentyfive said:

@Lost_Nomad: Thank you for your input. MMH does have some stories, like "Trying, but failing to fit in with humans, and missing his home world" but that is a Superman story.

That's not really true.

Superman can't miss his homeworld. He never knew it. He can mourn it and wish it was there, but that goes no deeper than "I wish there were more people like me around." Superman grew up as a human, he grew up ingrained in human culture and morality. Therefore he can only look through the eyes of a human. Incredibly powerful and superior in every way, but still human.

J'onn? he can look through the eyes of an alien. Malonius said he reminded him of the Silver Surfer, and he's perfectly right there, though perhaps not for the reason he though. Both the Manhunter and the Surfer are outside observers of humanity. So where someone like Superman has the option of trying to fit in or standing apart, the Martian will settle for simply understanding. robbed of any preconceptions of humanity, he's the perfect character to do that. And he's perfectly equipped for that task. With his shape-shifting, intangibility, invisibility and telepathy, he can walk among us unseen and explore every facet of our existence. He can leave no metaphorical stone unturned in the search for our inner goodness. All the littlest things that we take for granted like because we've lived with them since the dawn of civilization, the things that even Superman would take for granted, the Martian will see and find them wondrous.

The Martian's story is ultimately one of healing. He has suffered, badly. He has lost his family, his race, his home. But in the end he has found a new home, and it is filled with fascinating people. They can be grand in their goodness or they can be the lowest form of monsters, but they will never, ever cease to amaze him. And that's why he will never let anything happen to them.

That also tells us why the Manhunter has always been the heart of the league and the superhero community. Because he has nowhere else to go. He can walk among us, but only up in that watchtower, surrounded by people as strange to the world as he is, people who will accept him without questions, who have seen so many strange things that the sight of him evokes no confusion in their eyes, only there can he see anything resembling a home.

The Manhunter needs the League as much as the League needs the Manhunter.

RoninOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoninOmega

@ratman19: Alot of characters are not relatable but people still like them. He just needs he's owe comic or be featured more in comics/cartoons.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@AtPhantom said:

@Twentyfive said:

@Lost_Nomad: Thank you for your input. MMH does have some stories, like "Trying, but failing to fit in with humans, and missing his home world" but that is a Superman story.

That's not really true.

Superman can't miss his homeworld. He never knew it. He can mourn it and wish it was there, but that goes no deeper than "I wish there were more people like me around." Superman grew up as a human, he grew up ingrained in human culture and morality. Therefore he can only look through the eyes of a human. Incredibly powerful and superior in every way, but still human.

J'onn? he can look through the eyes of an alien. Malonius said he reminded him of the Silver Surfer, and he's perfectly right there, though perhaps not for the reason he though. Both the Manhunter and the Surfer are outside observers of humanity. So where someone like Superman has the option of trying to fit in or standing apart, the Martian will settle for simply understanding. robbed of any preconceptions of humanity, he's the perfect character to do that. And he's perfectly equipped for that task. With his shape-shifting, intangibility, invisibility and telepathy, he can walk among us unseen and explore every facet of our existence. He can leave no metaphorical stone unturned in the search for our inner goodness. All the littlest things that we take for granted like because we've lived with them since the dawn of civilization, the things that even Superman would take for granted, the Martian will see and find them wondrous.

The Martian's story is ultimately one of healing. He has suffered, badly. He has lost his family, his race, his home. But in the end he has found a new home, and it is filled with fascinating people. They can be grand in their goodness or they can be the lowest form of monsters, but they will never, ever cease to amaze him. And that's why he will never let anything happen to them.

That also tells us why the Manhunter has always been the heart of the league and the superhero community. Because he has nowhere else to go. He can walk among us, but only up in that watchtower, surrounded by people as strange to the world as he is, people who will accept him without questions, who have seen so many strange things that the sight of him evokes no confusion in their eyes, only there can he see anything resembling a home.

Well said, man.
Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Superdork

@Twentyfive said:

This.

To the people who say he had no media exposure, what about this:

This Show ran 5 seasons!
This Show ran 5 seasons!

That's where my friends and I first learned about anything DC related

And what about this

This Show ran 10 seasons!

He's popular now on comicvine BECAUSE he got replaced and people a)don't like change, b)like rooting for underdogs, c) don't like Blacks, and d)can connect with someone who lost their job to someone else.

He's just not a good character. If he was, he would have sold in a solo series in his 50 years of being a big dog.

Cyborg is a lot more interesting and he brings broader demographic appeal. He's the tin man with a heart of gold.

How would a MMH book be any different than a Superman book anyway?

And if Superman is called too powerful by so many people, then why would MMH be any different?

Also this:

@TrainMe said:

I was indifferent about Martian Manhunter. To me he was just there doing stuff. He seemed like a glorified babysitter in the justice league animated series. He is the most powerful Justice League member and the least active. Seriously the Justice league does not need MMH in terms of real world appeal.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_tree

@AtPhantom said:

@Twentyfive said:

That's not really true.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Lvenger

@AtPhantom said:

That's not really true.

Well said, good sir.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#36  Edited By BatWatch

It is hard to relate to someone who doesn't appear human.

@Lvenger: Hear, hear!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Twentyfive

@Superdork said:

@Twentyfive said:

This.

To the people who say he had no media exposure, what about this:

This Show ran 5 seasons!
This Show ran 5 seasons!

That's where my friends and I first learned about anything DC related

And what about this

He's popular now on comicvine BECAUSE he got replaced and people a)don't like change, b)like rooting for underdogs, c) don't like Blacks, and d)can connect with someone who lost their job to someone else.

He's just not a good character. If he was, he would have sold in a solo series in his 50 years of being a big dog.

Cyborg is a lot more interesting and he brings broader demographic appeal. He's the tin man with a heart of gold.

How would a MMH book be any different than a Superman book anyway?

And if Superman is called too powerful by so many people, then why would MMH be any different?

Also this:

@TrainMe said:

Comic book fans absolutely do not like change at all. This point has been proven by the fact that DC conformed to fanboy demands, and reverted most of their characters to their original legacy status. That is why Ronnie Raymond is still around. That is why Barbara Gordon is Batgirl now. I must say I am quite surprised that Jaime is still the Blue Beetle.

Cyborg is a LOT more interesting than MMH, but since he replaced a "classic" character, people won't give him the respect or credit he deserves. Just look in any battle thread with him in it.

Your post was beautiful, by the way. Thank you.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Because we as fans have not done our share. We didn't campaign a fraction as hard as we could of for him in the years before the reboot. Not as many people bought his series and miniseries or so on and so forth. A great deal of us apparently just didn't start caring until it was too late.

It's not our fault. MM's mini's were pretty horribly written post IC. When they gave him this outfit....

Things started going to hell.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Superdork

@Onemoreposter said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

It's not our fault. MM's mini's were pretty horribly written post IC. When they gave him this outfit....

Things started going to hell.

That outfit was an improvement... He's not going to strip for us.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jonEsherfey

I think it is because of his villains. He doesn't have any identifiable villains and he doesn't have enough. I think if they started to introduce him in a team up and then gave him his own comic than I think it could get more popular.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hazlenaut

What if he helps in the expeditions. We need to see more explores in the DC universe. he can travel with Metal Men, Metamophio, a different Hawk an Dove, and the Challengers of the Unknown,

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Twentyfive

@Hazlenaut: And the DOOM PATROL!!!

Sadly, those books won't sell.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hazlenaut

@Twentyfive: What if we threw in Etta candy, Cassandra Cain (she is done with crime fighting so she went into exploration) and Mala (from the superman the animated series). Is there any other characters that should be explorers than crime fighters.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Twentyfive

@Hazlenaut: One of the Atoms. Palmer, since (as I have been told) Choi is going to be in the JL at some point. Good job Choi, btw. Mr. Terrific, but his book sucked.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By britsera

@AtPhantom said:

@Twentyfive said:

That's not really true.

Lovely. I was gonna post the clapping guy but tree beat me.

TrainMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TrainMe

@Twentyfive:

Cyborg is a LOT more interesting than MMH, but since he replaced a "classic" character, people won't give him the respect or credit he deserves. Just look in any battle thread with him in it.

Yeah that's how I feel. last time I saw MMH was in the DC animated movie Justice league Doom. MMH was incredibly boring as usual.

Savage_Hawkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Savage_Hawkman

Because he looks different. He doesn't look human like Superman. Freakin Xenophobes.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Twentyfive said:

And you are downright wrong.
z3ro180