Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Any alien character whose planet and/or race is now nearly or completely extinct is usually seen as a Superman ripoff. MMH is not exclusive to this.

Doesn't make it right - just the way it is to a lot of people.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Both comments above me.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He flies and has a cape?

Really though he's quite a bit different than Clark.

CyborgFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinningbirdcake: i know but most people i know call him an overpowered superman rip-off, which is annoying cause hes not.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LaserLambert

He was created to be one, and he was given his founding slot on the JLA because the writers were discouraged from using Superman for fear of overexposure, so they used him instead, same reason Green Arrow joined, except he stood in for Batman. they have since been developed into unique characters, but they were very certainly not so from the outset.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@laserlambert: he wasn't "created to be one". When he was first created, he lacked the "superman" like powers and his people were all alive. He was altered to be more like Kal when the JL was formed as you previously stated.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He has heat vision, invulnerability, super strength , super speed, flight and instead of freeze breath intangibility, invisibility, shapeshifting and telepathy. In short he is incredibly powered that is why people call him a Superman rip off. Also he is an alien.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserlambert: Uh-huh, and the folks who say probably dont know much about J'onn.

The comparisons are only natural because of the the speed, strength, flight, heat/martian vision, etc. I remember an issue of MM where J'onn investigates a craft crash landing on earth...turns out, he was around when Clark first landed on earth, and was around for some key object lessons, including racism, all of which lent itself to molding Americas foremost boyscout. At the end of it all, he was there to test an adult Clark Kent regarding his loyalty to earth. Profound in terms of identifying J'onn as one of earths first alien protector, even before Superman was.

Additionally, J'onn is a much different character. Ostranders series highlighted J'onn's introspective personality and his innate goodness, even under difficult circumstances. To me, he has always been the beating heart of the JLA. One of my all time favorite characters.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wanted Martians to go the way of the Young Justice show,where Martians don't have(or not as apparent) super strength,durability,speed,or vision powers;but have TK,which in reality goes way better with their other abilities (TP and total control over their bodies).

He would still easily be a top level guy with TK instead of the physical powers,I mean TK with his awesome shapeshifting ability would cause anybody concern when facing him