Where do I start with Martian Manhunter?

OKO360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Martian Manhunter is my favourite DC hero, I haven't read anything on him so I wanted to know where can I get started on his origins and then his adventures after that? Comic names and issue numbers?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe wait for the coming of a new solo Martian Manhunter series. If you want older stuff, just search for martian manhunter in comics.org.

OKO360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

My list for J'onn:

1. Brightest Day (He had one of the major story lines in this series, it really gets into the mind of MM.)
  2. Martian Manhunter: Others Among Us (What if J'onn's not alone?)
  3. I recommend the entirety of Justice League International, but vol. 5 has the best MM story.
  4. Final Crisis Companion (The funeral of Martian Manhunter.)
  5. JLA: Trial By Fire (What if Martian Manhunter loses his fear of fire? A fun, and interesting story that really digs into the Martian pyrophobia.)
  6. Martian Manhunter: American Secrets (Pretty good, not the best, but it's interesting to see Martian Manhunter solve a mystery in the 50's.)
  7. Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter vols. 1 and 2 (Fun silver age Martian Manhunter stories, no real emotional value, but like I said, they're fun, and they show how MM was originally written.)
  8. Stormwatch (He was never really a main character to the series, but he was pretty badass throughout.)

I'd also recommend John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series, it's out of print, but it's worth tracking down.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@the_tree said:

My list for J'onn:

1. Brightest Day (He had one of the major story lines in this series, it really gets into the mind of MM.)
  2. Martian Manhunter: Others Among Us (What if J'onn's not alone?)
  3. I recommend the entirety of Justice League International, but vol. 5 has the best MM story.
  4. Final Crisis Companion (The funeral of Martian Manhunter.)
  5. JLA: Trial By Fire (What if Martian Manhunter loses his fear of fire? A fun, and interesting story that really digs into the Martian pyrophobia.)
  6. Martian Manhunter: American Secrets (Pretty good, not the best, but it's interesting to see Martian Manhunter solve a mystery in the 50's.)
  7. Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter vols. 1 and 2 (Fun silver age Martian Manhunter stories, no real emotional value, but like I said, they're fun, and they show how MM was originally written.)
  8. Stormwatch (He was never really a main character to the series, but he was pretty badass throughout.)

I'd also recommend John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series, it's out of print, but it's worth tracking down.

DC is actually going to collect Ostrander's run. The first trade of it will come out in February 2014.

BB

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

@billy_batson: LOL. I've been copying and pasting that recommendation list for almost a year. It's about damn time, it seems like they're finally getting on the ball, what with Mike Grell's Green Arrow and now this. I wonder if it's too much to ask for Azrael, Dixon's Nightwing, and Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree:

Nightwing seems to be likely to get reprinted eventually. They were going to collect the rest of Ostradner's Suicide Squad but the sales of the first trade and pre-orders for the second one were low. They're collecting the excellent Deadshot mini, though.

BB

OKO360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: Thanks for that, im checking these out right now!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

DC: New Frontier is also worth checking out.

BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

There's an arc called In My Life that serves as a decent origin story. Martian Manhunter #33-36.

OKO360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

forgot to mention im new to comics so all these stories may confuse me unless its his origins lol