Legendary Star-Lord #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 is on sale July 2, 2014.

The Good

Before reading this issue, I wasn't aware how much I actually wanted this series. Star-Lord has, over the last few years, started becoming more and more popular, despite his debut back in the 70s. We've been enjoying his exploits with the Guardians of the Galaxy in their team book but this is a chance for us to see more of Peter Quill in action. And that's really exactly what we need.

It's no secret that Marvel is looking to build on the buzz from the upcoming theatrical release of Guardians of the Galaxy. If that's the case, it's a brilliant move as there should be Guardians comics for movie-goers/non-comic readers to discover after watching the movie. And if it means we get more great stories with a character we're liking more and more each day, we all win.

Sam Humphries is not only give us some solo adventures with Peter Quill, but also giving us some glimpses into his past. There's also that little development between Peter and Kitty Pryde that came out of The Trial of Jean Grey. Of course us over-protective Kitty fans will be paying close attention to this. With Star-Lord's slightly complex publishing past and continuity, this series will give us a chance to find out who Star-Lord is these days since team books don't always offer the opportunities to fully flesh out individual characters.

Aside from the growing developments between Peter and Kitty, there is another big twist happening here that was pretty unexpected. Another reason to tune in each month. And who doesn't want to see Star-Lord versus the Badoon. You can expect plenty of cool space-action here.

Paco Medina does a great job with Star-Lord, with and without his mask, as well as young little Peter Quill. The entire look of the series fits in with the other cosmic Marvel titles, especially GUARDIANS. I'm usually a stickler when it comes to color in sci-fi comics the color palette and shading used by David Curiel gives it all a great feel.

The Bad

We get a great start to the solo Star-Lord series but feels a little like it's a set up issue. The story is largely self-contained but there are a couple big things teased that we'll have to wait for. It's great having a full story you can read from start to finish but sometimes knowing things will get resolved, for the most part, in a single issue, can take some of the suspense away.

The Verdict

Get ready to discover who exactly the Legendary Star-Lord is. With the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise heating up, it's the perfect time to explore more of who this individual character is. Sam Humphries gives us a great start to a space-western series showcasing the character while also developing new and past events in his life. Paco Medina's art and David Curiel's colors give it all a nice glossy feel. The story feels a little isolated due to the largely self-contained format but we do have a couple big develops brewing and this format does make it new-reader friendly. This is a character we'll be seeing a lot more of and the time is right to jump on board this new series. The legend of Star-Lord is in safe hands with Humphries.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Nice review and can not wait to pick this up.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

But that outfit...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I wasn't gonna get this originally but after reading this review I'll definitely check it out. Although I don't really think your complaints are valid tony, with all due respect. I mean, it IS an ongoing. Gotta get you to buy the next issue somehow right? Then again, I haven't read it yet so I could not understand what you're saying at all

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

@protoflash: Let me try to explain. It's a good issue but it's still a "set up" issue. That made it "really good" in my opinion versus "great." It's similar to MOON KNIGHT in the main focus of the issue is resolved in THIS issue. That's great for new readers and those just jumping in. I tend to prefer more longer-forming arcs. But there are a couple threads in the set up here that have me really excited for issue #2.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Oooh okay. Thanks tony, that makes a lot more sense. In which case then yeah, I can definitely see that then. Thanks again for clearing that up!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By tparks

I'm excited for this, but I really hope they eventually take the time to clear up his muddied past at some point. I've been a huge fan of Bronze Age Star-Lord for a while, and I love the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning kept his classic origin. Hopefully we'll get a better understanding, and see if there really was enough of a reason to change so many of my favorite comics.

I also hope we get toe see the return of "Ship". I liked Star-Lord's girlfriend being a Super Nova exploded Star much better then a mutant from Earth. Lol. Seriously, I do though....

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Rocket and Star Lord solos ftw, but think any of the other Guardians could get their own ongoing if these titles are successful?

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just ordered the Sara Pichelli variant of this issue off ebay a bit ago (my LCS NEVER carries variants, and never orders enough copies of anything). Look forward to seeing what it's about.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited for this book, it should be good to get some Star Lord away from Bendis.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Super excited for this book, it should be good to get some Star Lord away from Bendis.

What does Bendis do wrong with him?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, this is going to be awesome!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@daredevil21134: He pretty much just ignores the whole team and just focuses on the guest characters

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134: He pretty much just ignores the whole team and just focuses on the guest characters

Like the X-Men and Kitty Pryde

And Iron Man, Venom and Captain Marvel.

Why is Venom on the team? I can understand Carol,but Venom? Stark didn't need to be there

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Like the X-Men and Kitty Pryde

And Iron Man, Venom and Captain Marvel.

Why is Venom on the team? I can understand Carol,but Venom? Stark didn't need to be there

It's a "tour of duty" since he has an alien symbiote.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda mixed on this. I didn't think it was bad by any means, but it didn't exactly hook me either. I'll buy the next issue before deciding if it has a place on my already overcrowded pull list.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Great review, about to go pick this and Rocket up right now

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This is 616 and not the movieverse right? I just want to confirm before I pick it up.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had fun reading this issue. I also have plenty of titles on my list, so it may not be something I keep reading. I really dig Peter as a character tho. I laughed pretty hard when he said the guardians have been busy lately and then you see him with Groot and RR singing karaoke.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Cant wait to read this tomorrow im becoming a huge Starlord fan

muskokajoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When does this comic take place? Before or after the current Guardians comics? Cause I thought they were all currently prisoners.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: I agree. I've been a fan of Star-Lord since I read those early issues as a kid and I hate to see Bendis retconning things just for the hell of it.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By tparks
@sammo21 said:

@tparks: I agree. I've been a fan of Star-Lord since I read those early issues as a kid and I hate to see Bendis retconning things just for the hell of it.

Ya. Don't get me wrong, I still like the new Star-Lord, I just wish his past could have been incorporated a little more, instead of just changed.