Why Will You, Or Won't You, Be Reading Ms. Marvel?(Multiple Choice)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Poll Why Will You, Or Won't You, Be Reading Ms. Marvel?(Multiple Choice) (60 votes)

I Will Be - For G. Willow Wilsons Writing 10%
I Won't Be - Because Of G. Willow Wilsons Writing 0%
I Will Be - For Adrian Alphonas Art 8%
I Won't Be - Because Of Adrian Alphonas Art 5%
I Will Be - Because She's Female 13%
I Won't Be - Because She's Female 3%
I Will Be - Because She's Muslim 23%
I Won't Be - Because She's Muslim 8%
I Will Be - Because She's Pakistani 13%
I Won't Be - Because She's Pakistani 3%
I Will Be - To Read About A Brand New Character 32%
I Won't Be - Because She's A Brand New Character 5%
I Will Be - Because She's Following On From Carol Danvers 13%
I Won't Be - Because She's Following On From Carol Danvers 12%
I Will Be - She's A New Inhuman 8%
I Won't Be - She's A New Inhuman 0%
I Will Be - Other 17%
I Won't Be - Other 20%

Hi Everyone.

I was reading this article here, and the writer mentions some reasons why he's excited about reading the series:

"Maybe I'm a bleeding heart liberal (maybe?), but I'm incredibly excited for this book. I'm excited to read G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona's take on what being a superhero means to someone who isn't a white man, or even a white woman. I'm excited to learn more about this culture that I know very little about. You can make your ignorant "keep politics out of comics" argument all you want, but the truth is that comics are where we learn a lot about other cultures. I truthfully don't know how okay I would have been with my gayness if I hadn't had decades of X-Men comics preaching tolerance -- at times specifically mentioning homosexuals -- ingrained in my brain. Cultural awareness is incredibly important, and reading stories about different cultures are where the seeds of empathy and understanding flourish. If you know nothing about people of the Muslim faith outside of how the media has portrayed them since 9/11, I bet you'll be surprised by what you read in "Ms. Marvel." You might even be able to relate to her!"

It got me thinking, with a brand new character in a solo series like this, who we haven't had a chance to grow to love or hate through guest appearances or a position in a team series, what is it that's going to make us buy it? I've added the reasons given by the writer, plus a few of my own. Multiple choice, so choose as many answers that are appropriate to you.

Scarlotte.

• 
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the right one. I messed up the first attempt at this poll, so vote here. :)

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I won't be because....money

sadface

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 SC  Moderator

Nice thread. I voted.

I want to read for the art and writing and because she is a female character and because of her link to Carol Danvers who is one of my favorite characters and a few other reasons, like her being a shapeshifter, I like the idea she was a fan of Carol, her family and support cast and how she will interact with them. To a lesser extent am interested in her being Muslim but not enough by itself. Don't care about her being Inhuman.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Kind of a combination of her being Muslim and Inhuman and female. Ever since Journey Into Mystery ended I've been looking for another good female driven Marvel title.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a chance for 2 issues

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna pass. Have no desire reading about a teenage girl.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

I'll check out the first issue but her powers really don't interest me and with that powerset she really shouldn't have the name Ms. Marvel...it just doesn't fit at all

Sonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll give it a chance for 2 issues

I'm going to be doing the same.

Avatar image for noahmaximillion
NoahMaximillion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

She's a new character, so I probably won't pay much attention to her.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. There are still people like this?

"I won't read because she's a Muslim/Pakistani." Seriously? Whoever voted for those, its really very pathetic.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

@hart7668 said:

I won't be because....money

sadface

This, unfortunately :/

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I won't be - because I have no real reason to.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RDClip

Since she is affiliated with Captain Marvel (to whom I have become a fan because of the excellent writing by Kelly Sue DeConnick), I'll give the book a chance. And since I have sworn off Superman (the book) and Superboy because of Lobdell's shenanigans, I have space for a new book.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to click on every choice which stated "I Will Be" but decided to go with "Other" because honestly, I am just excited about a new character. I am looking forward to getting to know her, her life, her family, her struggles, her everything. I couldn't care less about her gender/religion/ethnicity/power set/Inhumanity on their own yet it's all these factors which have me so anticipative.

I am really excited about this book. :)

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@hart7668: @bumpyboo: That's unfortunate. :/ Maybe something'll change to make it possible though. :)

@lykopis: I think the new character aspect is the biggest part for me too. Obviously new characters pop up quite often, but the idea of being able to read about one going straight into their own story is pretty cool.

@rdclip: I'm wondering when they'll eventually meet each other, as I think I read that it won't be early in either of their titles. Could be cool to see them team up. :)

@rbt: Yeah, it's disappointing to see that, plus whoever voted against her for being female.

@grenadeflow:@sonata: I think I'd do the same, but with 3. If I didn't like it by that point I'd maybe drop it.

@darkbeam:@dark_guyver: Is there something in particular that's different about teen characters?

@danhimself: I get what you mean about the name, but I don't mind too much, as the name itself doesn't really give clues to a powerset. I'd kind of hoped the name wouldn't be passed on, but I suppose it makes a bit of sense.

@spinningbirdcake: Good thing there are five to choose from starting soon then. Are you getting any of the others?

@sc: Thanks. Good reasons. :)

spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I've been thinking about getting into Captain Marvel for a while now. I loved her in Avengers so far, and that's even with Hickman's trademark lack of personal development or focus.

Phil Noto's art on Black Widow looks great and I might try that out, I've just never cared for the character that much outside of the Avengers. That being said I never thought I would care about Sif but JIM was fantastic.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I honestly hope so. Carol Danvers is in my top 5 favorite Marvel characters ever - to see someone else lift the Ms. Marvel banner once more? Epic

Buuuuut, ya know, life and stuff

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to at least check it out. I don't know what to expect yet but it being about a minority has no bearing on whether or not I continue picking it up. If it's good then I'll try to continue buying it, if not then I won't.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Just that I don't find comics about teenage girls relatable. I'm a 30 year old male ;) And actually, the only title I read about teenagers have ninja turtles in the title :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinningbirdcake: It was good to see her presented as important during Infinity. There were parts where it seemed like she was co-leader, with Captain America. The writing in her previous series was good, so I imagine it'll be similar in the new series, plus it looks like the art may be good.

The art for Black Widow does look good, but I'm not really a fan of her, so I don't think I'll bother with that one. I'm hoping She-Hulk and Elektra will be good.

Anyway, there's a page of Ms. Marvel art to see now. I think it looks O.K.

No Caption Provided

spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Oh I absolutely think she's second in charge behind Steve. I mean technically it's Tony but I imagine him as more of a thinker than a leader. Steve and Carol definitely lead the team.

That art does look good. She doesn't have any villains so I'm kind of hoping there's a lot of character moments in the beginning of the series instead of jumping straight to crime fighting.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm giving it a shot

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it an issue or two because I like new characters.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does anyone have any new thoughts after reading Point One?

Also, might as well post solicits here for anyone who hasn't seen them.

No Caption Provided

MS. MARVEL #1

G. WILLOW WILSON (W)

ADRIAN ALPHONA (A)

Cover by SARA PICHELLI

Variant Cover by Art Adams

Sketch Variant by Art Adams

Design Variant also Available

The legend has returned!

Marvel Comics presents the all-new MS. MARVEL, the ground breaking heroine that has become an international sensation! Kamala Khan is just an ordinary girl from Jersey City--until she is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the all-new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm, and prepare for an epic tale that will be remembered by generations to come. History in the making is NOW!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

No Caption Provided

MS. MARVEL #2

G. WILLOW WILSON (W) • ADRIAN ALPHONA (A)

Cover by Jamie McKelvie

ARTIST VARIANT COVER BY JORGE MOLINA

As seen in the New York Times, CNN and other media outlets the world-over, the all-new Ms. Marvel has made her thunderous debut!

Kamala Khan’s very ordinary life has suddenly become extraordinary. Is she ready to wield these strange and immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to handle?

Critically acclaimed writer G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo) and fan-beloved artist Adrian Alphona (Runaways, Uncanny X-Force) bring you the groundbreaking Marvel series that has set the world abuzz. Don’t miss history in the making.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

No Caption Provided

MS. MARVEL #3

G. Willow Wilson (W) • Adrian Alphona (A)

Cover by JAMIE McKELVIE

Artist Variant by annie wu

• The All-New Ms. Marvel has already gained international fame.

• But in Kamala’s case, star-power comes with a whole lot of... awkwardness.

• Find out why the most exciting new Marvel hero is also the most loveable!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …2.99

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped reading marvel and I am very happy about it, but the lack of novelty and ingenuity was one of the reasons... I may pick this one up just to encourage taking a little bit of risk in the future.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

I won't be - because I have no real reason to.

This, and I don't like the art.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it, the artworks awesome, the story amazing, defiantly my favourite new character, I'll not post any spoilers, but I think everyone should give her a try.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, no.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that people of different ethnic/social/religious backgrounds are represented in comics.

That being said, the buzz around this book has nothing to do with the storytelling. The main character's a muslim teen, that's the story. It really annoys me that this is the selling-point that Marvel uses to promote the book.

It's the same douchechill-inducing strategy they used with Northstar's (gay) wedding.

Luke Cage was introduced at a time when there were very few black characters in comics. But Heroes for Hire is still around more than 40 years later because the premise and the story were good, NOT because Luke Cage is black.

I'll gladly read a comic about a gay character or a muslim character, as long as that character happens to be INTERESTING.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sure, so long as she is badass and is shown with great feats along with application of power

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause she's got no right being ms. Marvel yet. that's a position you gotta earn.

Ultragirl should be the new Ms. Marvel carol already gave her the original costume.

MarvelouFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MarvelouFury

As soon as the comic will be available in Finland i will buy it... might take a while to get here though or it might not come here at all :(

I think it is great to have some diversity to the characters. Also her powers are a nice change to the other characters because the whole super strength, energy projection, etc.. has done to death.

Her powers are also one of the reasons why i am interested about the character. I cant wait :D

Still waiting for a Finnish superhero to arrive in Marvel :D

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I won't be reading it, because the last few pages of the first issue got too weird for me, and if they rest of the comic is like that, I find it off putting.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No interest in reading it. If they're going to make a character who looks like Ms. Marvel, here's a novel idea - KEEP CAROL AS MS. MARVEL. It makes no sense to invent someone new to be her substitute when we already had one who is perfectly fine at the role.

The simple solution was to invent someone new to be the Captain Marvel wannabe until the real Captain Marvel came back (which everyone already knows is going to eventually happen anyway). Sometimes I have to wonder about the people running Marvel and DC. They make inane decisions like this then wonder why their books do so poorly.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've actually been reading the series for some time now, about one month ago I finally decided to start reading it because the series had originally caught my attention but I didn't have the time to read it.

I am now up to issue #16 and not the least bit disappointed with how the series is going, they're able to write in new ways but also still some classic comic book ways as well. She reminds me a lot of early Peter Parker when he first got his powers and the story has just been really fun to read.