I was sitting here going through my Scarlet Spider issues and the whole thing with Annabelle preventing Madame Webb warning Kaine about an impending danger surprised me. Previously to this issue I had always thought that Madame Webb was referring to the Queen. The Queen has a thing for Spider-men and Kaine was the one to kill her during Spider-Island.
However upon seeing what happened in Scarlet Spider 16 I was completely thrown. Annabelle has no reason to hide anything from Kaine that we know of so why would she burn a letter warning him?
Now what we need to take into account here is who Madame Webb would deem to be this kind of threat. Initially I took the "she's coming back" "shes coming back for Kaine" as a whole sentence meaning that whoever it was coming back wanted revenge however what if they were to completely different sentences. The first being that whoever it was has returned and the second being that their target is now Kaine not that the woman has any previous connection to Kaine!
You may be wondering where i'm going with this so i'll cut to the chase. We know that Yost has based Scarlet Spider heavily on JMS's run and with good reason as its awesome. We've seen the "Other" and we've seen Kaine using the "Other's" abilities. So what does this have to do with Annabelle? Well there is one character that was created by JMS as a prequel to the "Other" and Morlun. Someone almost on par with Morlun. Someone who hounded Peter mercilessly for days attacking him both personally and physically.
I am of course referring to Shathra!
You may think this is just a random thought with no basis but here is my reasoning!:
1. As I previously said Yost bases his stories on JMS's run and the "Other". Shathra was part of that saga being a totem eater like Morlun! As with Spider-man she was a prequel to Morlun's arrival it would make sense for Yost to want to use her prior to using Morlun.
2. It gives Annabelle a direct connection to the letter. Why would she burn a letter to Kaine warning him about a threat that wasn't directly linked to her? It makes no sense. She would have no reason to destroy the letter if it was warning Kaine about the Queen or Kraven's family. It makes no sense unless she herself is the threat to Kaine.
3. Shathra is a shape-shifter. It would not be hard for her to take on the appearance of Annabelle in order to get close to Kaine
4. Shathra likes to play games! Pretending to be Annabelle and toying with Kaine's emotions would be the ultimate game for her! Shes done it with Peter when she took up the guise of Sharon why shouldn't she do it with Kaine? Heck she even went as far as to say that she and Spider-man were lovers and publicly said a lot of lies about him in order to pull him out. I wouldn't put it past her to seduce Kaine in order to keep him in a position that she could kill him and toy with him any time she wanted.
5. She is only other threat that Madame Webb would ever take seriously aside from the Queen due to the fact Shathra is a natural predator to the Spider-totem and the Web of Life.
6. Peter stated that Shathra tried to bring out the Spider in him due to the fact it was the only part she could feed on effectively and guess what? Kaine recently succumbed to the "Other" fully embracing his Spider-side. That is exactly what Shathra wants to feed properly. She made Peter lose control in order to do this the fist time:
Kaine is far more brutal than Peter and far more in touch with his Spider-side. He has every single quality that Shathra desires to pull-out:
So it may sound slightly far-fetched but given Yost's love of the "Other" and JMS's run its a character that could be used. Not to mention quite a few of the signs are there!
So I put it to you. Annabelle = Shathra!