Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*This review contains some spoilers. Don't worry, the important ones are covered in spoiler blocks!*

Aquaman is the lead? Wonder Woman clearly isn't a fan of this decision.
Aquaman is the lead? Wonder Woman clearly isn't a fan of this decision.

In an animated universe where Batman and Superman reign supreme, Arthur Curry, a.k.a. Aquaman, is getting some time in the spotlight! To be fair, DC and Warner Bros. Animation did recently give the Suicide Squad and Flash their own movies, so it looks like they're trying to offer more variety with their projects. So, is this the movie Aquaman fans will adore and it'll make them forgive Arthur's absence in Justice League: War? Well, it'll obviously vary from fan to fan, but personally, I'm left feeling like this is a very fun and a very flawed movie.

The handling of Aquaman's story is sure to leave viewers feeling mixed. The look into his past and the heavier material in the beginning is a greatly appreciated dose of character, but then his story races forward and he's just adapting and kicking ass as he accepts this new world and the crazy drama that comes with it. It begins with the potential for a lot of compelling material, but then it seems to rush forward and I lost that emotional connection to the character. As expected, there's plenty of changes from the continuity. I mean, this is just inspired by Geoff Johns' story. Do the changes make improvements, though? No, I don't believe so. It compacts and simplifies the story -- which is understandable since they have a limited amount of time -- but in doing so, it makes many of the elements less powerful and doesn't have room to flesh them out. it covers a lot of ground but never seems to capitalize on much of it. There's glimmers of greatness here and there when it comes to character-driven material, but it has so much to tackle.

One thing I found especially odd was the handling of Ocean Master's assault. Did the people behind the movie think hitting a city with a tsunami was going too far? If so, why not just have Orm's army emerge from the ocean instead of drawing all that attention to where they'll appear? And the military really responded to an incoming tsunami with ground forces? How'd they know the incoming tsunami would magically stop? I'm assuming Batman gave them a heads up about Atlantis, but there's no way they'd know the giant wave wouldn't wreck the cities.

Superman and Wonder Woman's romance is addressed and the way it begins feels pretty forced. I'm all for them dating, but Kal-El basically hits on her in a moment when she's vulnerable. It's a romantic setting, but her mood wasn't exactly saying, "Kiss me, big blue!" A simple holding of the hand would have made the message loud and clear and maybe that could have lead to a kiss. Even if their first kiss does feel odd, the potential it produces is good fun. It does feel like the movie's trying to address too much, but I still enjoyed their "date" and the jokes that are made once others see they're together.

Out of all the characters, I found Cyborg's story to have the most potential. Who would have thought that when going into this one? The romantic subplot seems totally unnecessary, though, and more focus on his situation and how he's adapting to it would have been more effective. Establishing Mera/Aquaman and Superman/Wonder Woman seems like enough, right? As for Hal Jordan and Flash, they're basically there for jokes and to show off their abilities. And you know what? It's good stuff. Hal's giant construct during the big battle is hysterical. Oh, and while we're discussing some of the Justice Leaguers, I'm guessing some won't be too pleased when they realize it's technically Batman who saves the day. Without his quick thinking, Orm would have won.

"Hey Hal, remember how awesome your movie was?"

I have a feeling Sam Witwer's performance as Orm will be polarizing. Some may think it's too much and I'd totally understand that. However, I love the energy he put into the role. It's not the most compelling or elaborate character around, but he seems to really give it his all and that gives the movie a little more life. Meanwhile, Mera -- who's voiced by Beware the Batman's Sumalee Montano -- is one of the movie's highlights. It's a shame she and Arthur didn't have more time together. Still, the character was badass and I'd love to see more of her in the future DC animated movies.

Black Manta felt like a missed opportunity and unfortunately, that seems to be happening with this new universe's big villains. Darkseid was basically limited to screaming and smashing (to be fair, he didn't have any depth in the story the movie was pulling from), Deathstroke was absolutely wasted in Son of Batman, and now Black Manta's appearance doesn't live up to its potential. You're basically wondering why he's doing what he's doing the whole time and then he swiftly explains in a few sentences right before he's removed from the story. And, come on, who decided it was a good idea to show his "death" in the trailer? I use quotation marks because we all know they could still get him out of that. I was expecting him to blast out of the shark and appear for one more fight because I was certain they wouldn't give that away in the trailer. Sadly, it looks like I was wrong. I get the shark scene is cool and an attention-grabber and therefore great for a trailer, but man, that's a bummer.

It should come as no surprise many of the action scenes are a blast. Arthur's opening brawl is a highlight for me because it has so much intensity and feels more visceral than the others. Sure, it's confusing just how durable and strong he is, but watching a drunk Arthur brawl with several guys was terrific. It was just the right amount of brutality and lighthearted fun. I don't want to spoil it, but I will say Superman has one of the most ridiculous and totally unexpected encounters in this movie. It's over-the-top in such a great way. And, as said above, Mera's awesome. You'll absolutely want to see more of her when the credits begin to roll. Another thing the movie handles well is the comedy. I may think several of the arcs are racing forward too quickly, but there's plenty of solid laughs along the way. Even if you're not a fan of the story, the frequent action and humor is likely to keep you entertained.

There's a good amount of fan service scattered in here. There's an unexpected cameo that'll make some of you smile and they even found a way to work in the classic Justice League title. One thing that stood out to me may go over the heads of some viewers. Let's just say part of Aquaman is injured during a fight and it's a pretty cool and organic nod to his unlucky history. Oh, and if you want to be completely surprised by the credits scene, don't read the beginning of the credits! I saw a certain popular character listed in the cast and said to myself, "Wait a second, I don't recall seeing them in the movie. Oh, that's probably because I haven't yet..."

More Mera, please.
More Mera, please.

I have a lot of minor criticisms. Like, a lot. I won't list them all here, but I'll go over some of the more noticeable ones. When Cyborg plays the hologram of what happened in the submarine, he puts up a better fight -- something that didn't happen in the previous scene when we saw him being attacked. Maybe he wanted his friends to think he put up more a fight? The way the first scene was edited certainly made it feel like we witnessed everything. There's background characters in a restaurant and they feel like statues that will occasionally blink (that said, one might be an easter egg). I appreciate populating the world and making it feel alive, but when you have humans that close to the characters, the fact they don't move at all really stands out. As someone who loves to discuss comic book fights, I was also a little disappointed by how the boss battle is handled (as well as Black Manta's "big" fight). It's basically the Justice League jobbing one by one and then suddenly Arthur has what it takes to offer a challenge. I get Kal-El has no defense against magic and they want to focus on Arthur, but you'd think there would be a more epic and creative battle here. Arthur's durability and strength appears to fluctuate as well.

Okay, there's only a few more minor criticisms I'd like to bring up. During the island fight, there's fire and smoke before Batman fires his weapons and all that took place was melee combat, so there's no reason why that destruction be there. Also, that scene felt like a missed opportunity to show off Wonder Woman's skill. Instead, she throws creatures from the ocean... back into the ocean? It would be cool if she launched them into the horizon, but here it doesn't seem like an effective attack and there were plenty of other options. I can't be the only one who would love to see her reflexes and skill continue to get extra attention. And speaking of battle tactics, what's up with Billy Batson smashing a vehicle into a skyscraper instead of dropping it back into the war zone? Not cool, Billy.

Aqua-mommy!
Aqua-mommy!

I was very torn between 3 and 4-stars. As you saw above, I do have a lot of criticisms and I think the movie would have greatly benefited from a longer runtime. Not only does it need to establish Aquaman, his supporting cast and his villains, but it also has to juggle a couple of arcs involving Justice League characters. It feels scattered at times and then rushes towards a pretty standard conclusion. Anywhere from 5 to 10 extra minutes with Arthur could have gone a long way and given us a better emotional connection to the guy. Look, it may seem like I'm being harsh and I'm obviously saying a lot of negative things about the movie, but the simple fact is I still had a lot of fun watching it. Most of the action's entertaining, the early material with Arthur is solid, and there's so many scenes that had me smiling. If you enjoyed Justice League: War, I do recommend seeing it. It may not be as epic or as emotional as some are hoping it'll be, but it's still a pretty good time.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is currently available digitally. The Blu-ray/DVD goes on sale January 27.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I liked War, so I'm keen to watch this too

EdgeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Knew this movie was gonna blow. I'll never put faith in any DC animated movie ever again after these recent disappointments (War, Son of Batman, this)

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arthur , Mera and Cybog easily 4 stars. Though I am annoyed they did not include Cyborgs big reveal calling all the reinforcements for the Atlantis invasion.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Even if the movie is flawed as you say I hope it does well financially for the simple fact i want more Aquaman movies, video games, etc. Im also sad that Black Manta is not handled well. He has actually become my second favorite villain of all time with Joker being first. Im hoping we see him more in future movies and video games.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vinomonster

It's fun to watch imo, I never had a problem with it besides the short 1 hour &12 minutes of screentime which I hope they extend a little bit more. I don't want to compare it to other animated movies that DC made before. So I gave it a 4/5. The post credit scene means we gonna see more of Ocean Master in the future, so I'm really looking forward to know what they are planning especially that Lex already appeared... maybe they're planning to adapt Forever Evil.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it for what it was, I will say for anyone going in don't expect it to be much like the comic, and if that's what you want you will be disappointed. Also, if you didn't like Hal or Billy in JL War, then you're still not going to like them here, especially Billy, who acts like he's strait out of a Happy Madison film. I just want to say now, that is not how he's suppose to be, when he becomes Captain marvel he's meant to act like an adult with the innocents of a child, not a man child. Reducing him to a one note joke in this movie and in the comics is an insult to the character.

Like I said though I still enjoyed it, it was different but considering it's only an hour and ten minutes they need to make drastic changes for it to work. Really it's biggest flaw is that it's very very underwhelming, the Atlantean army does not seem like a threat and we don't see Orm use the ocean to crush the city, which takes away a lot of the suspense/stakes, not to mention we don't get that cool scene where Cyborg calls for back up (which sucks because I love Hawkman and Firestorm). However the animation is good, the plot is intriguing, the action is pretty good, and the story (while different then the comics) isn't half bad, so I'd give it a rough 4/5, and maybe I'll post my own review later to go onto further detail.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: I don't think they could faithfully adapt that storyline considering they have only an hour and ten minutes per movie. If they do they are going to have to make very big changes to accommodate it.

Personally I think that instead of animated movies DC should get an animated series on Adult Swim based on the New 52, because that would be the only proper way to tell these stories.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not very impressed by this movie, fun though it could be, it just felt like a lot of missed potential. The script is full of holes, and the Aquaman lore just begging to be tapped was almost completely unused, i mean seriously the handling of black Manta made me cringe. I think its biggest failing lies there. This movie could've been a great first step to a slightly wider audiance accepting Aquaman, and i don't think it accomplished that.

5/10 score from me, this movie will not bore you, but it's about as shallow as a Michael Bay film, but better trust me. So 2/5 stars for me since this site dosen't do half stars, and rounded down for not being a good intro to Aquaman

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm surprise this is out all ready

deathsdoor726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprise this is out all ready

Wait its out now??!

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Whatever they're planning in the near future, I will be there waiting for it. I just hope they gave more spotlight to the lesser known heroes in the DCU, give them time to shine like Arthur. Especially now that they all agree to make the League official, they might introduce more heroes in the sequel. *hoping*

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I haven't watched it yet bit most reviews seem to echo Katz complaints

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: All I want is to see Firestorm and I'll be happy.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is happening with DC's animated department as of late

Justice league WAR, son of batman, and one could argue both Flashpoint and Assult on Arkham were less than stellar. and now THIS

THis sucks. :/ what happened to good movies like Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood, Superman: Apocolypse, public enemies, Green lantern: Emerald Knights etc.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: A Captain Atom and a proper Captain Marvel story is all I want. Hopefully Bruce Timm's series will be good.

@comicvine_is_jericho529: That was the Bruce Timm era... Hopefully, Justice League: Gods and Monster will be good. I have high hopes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I tried watching this but only got up to the horrendous Superman/Wonder Woman kiss. It was rushed, tacky and exemplified a lot of the problems with this 'Fauxmance' as its critics call it. I couldn't take any more and this solid review only reinforces my opinion that I'm not missing much either. I will say the Thrones of Atlantis comic is solid and probably the best New 52 Justice League story but this is poor by all accounts.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Captain13

Most of the team is still poorly characterized/written like d-bags, the Aquaman mythology isn't given its proper due, too many characters to do any of them real justice, noticeable animation short cuts, noticeable plot holes, poor voice acting (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Orm), tired humor, reminders of Cyborg literally being neutered, boring fight scenes, no emotional resonance...

I have lost almost all faith in these straight-to-DVD films. Dwayne McDuffie and Bruce Timm helped WB to build up a great brand, but after McDuffie died and Timm left things went downhill. The last one of these I am giving a chance to is Justice League: Gods and Monsters because Bruce Timm is returning. If that's not good, I'm done.

1.5/5.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some stories are too big to be fully addressed and developed in a single animated movie. Better make it two-part movie or at least increase its runtime (All-Star Superman suffered from that as well).

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie is not good.. With a trackrecord such as Mask of the Phantasm and Under The Hood, how could they make their animated movies suck? I hope with Bruce Timm returning, they resurrect theirselfs. This is not a good premise for their live action movies..

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez, wtf is up with these animated features WB's is putting out? Are we getting low quality because of Bruce Timms is not there?

WAR was mediocre, Son of Batman was pretty bad and now this. Assault on Arkham I thought was good and thought maybe they were back on track, but after reading this review and others posts it sounds like this is not very good. I'll reserve judgement until I actually watch it, but damn this is not good news :-|

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By SupBatz

This movie was not about Arthur's growth from drunk in a bar still reeling over his father's death to bridge between two races. It's like they skipped over any sort of major development for the character. Things were just explained to him by Mera, he would lash out constantly, and then somehow by the end Arthur was ready to lead Atlantis. Absolutely not cool.

I'm not interested in tons of action scenes - which have been the driving force for the past few DC animated films. I'm not a fan of the often clumsy and awkward attempts at comedy (mostly coming from Shazam and Green Lantern). And I'm not a fan of giving so much screen time to everything aside for Arthur's actual development and experiences.

All of the complexity and humanity was wiped from Orm, Black Manta, and Mera's characters. I realize it's hard to fit a lot of backstory into one film. But the filmmakers did not even try. Orm, who was very human and even sympathetic to an extent in the original story, is just made into generic human-hating bad guy rather than leader doing what he thinks is best for his people. Black Manta, as is said in the review above, did not need to be included here at all. He was basically here too look cool and to die. And Mera, while okay from a characterization standpoint, was reduced from her very interesting background involving Xebel and being sent to kill Arthur to just being a guard with no real drive except to serve Atlanna. Of course, all of this comes secondary to Arthur's development and characterization, which was also skimped upon. But it's quite sad that in a movie about Atlantis, none of the Aquaman-based characters were done justice.

You know it's sad when Superman and Wonder Woman are given a more interesting romance than Aquaman and Mera. Again, I liked Mera from a personality standpoint. She was more-or-less (for her limited screentime) what I would want and expect her to act like. But we don't see any drive in her actions and we don't see any development. Especially not in her feelings for Arthur, which are simply conveyed by cliched romantic glances. I'm not saying I wanted a full-blown love story here. But what we got was absolutely nothing.

I am beyond tired of this animation. I will not include this critique in my overall score, as it doesn't seem to be the filmmakers' fault that management is using this style for ever movie. Now, I love Phil Bourassa's character designs, in general. I really do. But in the past three movies (JL: War, Son of Batman, and now TOA) the animated has been both stiff and expressionless. Character movements (sans action scenes, for the most part) are clumsy or strange-looking. And worse yet, many of the character's faces just look bland, boring, or exactly the same. Often character's heads are FAR too small for their bodies. And the color palette is both inconsistent and boring. Complete visual letdown.

I'm sure there is plenty more worth complaining about. But I am reasonably certain that I hit the big marks that really turned me off.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope that the live-action Aquaman film is much better than this animated mess.

I hope that whoever is in charge of RUINING these animated films is swiftly replaced.

I hope that in filmmakers start to realize that fans aren't interested in a collage of mindless actions scenes, and that we want to see development and a journey for the titular character.

I hope they realize that Aquaman should not take second seat to the Justice League in his own film.

And I hope that they are smarter in their use of characters in the future, and more concerned with remaining true to the characters than bending them to fit the films' flawed plots.

3/10 from me. I was going to give it a 4, but as I wrote this review, the score kept dropping by fractions of a point. I really was hoping that this would be a good movie.

And the true tragedy here is, DC/WB will likely blame the critical failure of this film on the character Aquaman, not on the many flaws of the film itself. So the only two results here are that the movie does well enough that they are encouraged to make more TERRIBLE films about lesser-known characters, or that the movie does poorly because of how TERRIBLE it is and that DC/WB crawls back to Batman and Superman.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Not sold on any of these "criticisms" to be honest..

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh it was fun but it was nowhere as good as jl war,assault on arkham or as bad as son of batman

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I'm defiantly in the minority but I loved the film. It wasn't a good adaptation of a great story but for an hour a half of fun it was super. Can't wait to see the next one.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadowLife248

I completely agreed with this review. Mera's and Arthur's romance wasn't solified, rushing Superman and Wonder Woman relationship. In the climax the JL didn't really do much? Such a waste for one of Aquaman's biggest nemesis, Black Manta.And also mischaracterization of Orm.Rather than loving Arthur and truly love Atlantis he just became a evil ruler of Atlantis.

Btw who is this guy the review is talking about?
"Oh, and if you want to be completely surprised by the credits scene, don't read the beginning of the credits! I saw a certain popular character listed in the cast and said to myself, "Wait a second, I don't recall seeing them in the movie. Oh, that's probably because I haven't yet..."

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

This was okay, but it was better than War and Son of Batman. I wanted to be more than a hour and 10 minutes, this is not a race to finish de movie faster.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The animation and some of the action was good.

But that was just about it really, when it came to this feature.

The story felt rushed. Characters (even from the previous film) were still poorly developed, or not at all really. The Super x Wonder crap, is sickening. An really overall does little to no "Justice" for much.

Just another continuation of animated features that do nothing but stink for the most part. An still greatly pale in comparison to the previous era under Bruce Timm.

Overall 2/5!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 out of 5 is being very generous...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was going to be an Aquaman movie.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was on the same level as War and SOB,in other words it was quite poor. I dont wanna mention all the flaws but I think it's high time they should just stop adapting comic book arcs and focus on their own stories,I think a good chunk of their problems would be solved that way. Also bring back Bruce Timm while you're at it,screw the idiot haters who accuse him of Batman wankery, at least we got quality products. This film was bad for the JL and bad for Aquaman,Timm did this exact same story years ago and it was infinitely better.

On the bright side,Batman saved the day.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised by the review, I think this is the best DCU film in a long time, far better than Assault on Arkham, JL:WAR and Batman and Son. It actually gives me hope for the next few coming out.

Given the DC animated films don't seem to share any continuity, I think the changes made don't really hurt the film in any way, although I don't really see any of the changes being necessary. Sometimes the animates films simplify or improve on the stories they derive from, such as with UtRH, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Several lines seem lifted from the comic and they don't makes us much sense, given the lack of context. In particular, some of the dialog exchanged between Batman and Superman stood out. I think the voice acting was mostly fine, although I didn't really like Jason O'Mara and really wish they brought back Bruce Greenwood.

The time Cyborg has in the film was a nice surprise, although I really don't like his costume design...there seems to almost no human parts remaining aside from his head. RE his fight scene...I just assumed we didn't see everything when we first see him get attacked, and we see more of it when he shows the JL.

I haven't read the comic since it came out, but I don't think it's fair to say it was the JL jobbing one by one, when that's how it went down in the comic (IIRC). They were not prepared for the magic attack that put them in a cocoon, and Arthur had to save them.

I kind of wish the other JL members were not in the film as much as they were. I would have preferred Dr Shin to have a more prominent role, and maybe some more growing time between Orm and Arthur (they are introduced seconds before they fight). I liked the scene where Hal goes to get Bruce, although it seemed out of place in the film, or at least a lot longer than it should have been in a movie focusing on Arthur.

I also wish romances..all romances in the film were handled better, but at least Mera and Arthur can build on what they have. The awkwardness of Clark and Diana's interactions seems to indicate their relationship is doomed.

Definitely a fun movie either way, which I didn't consider the previous animated films to be for a while now.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at least it's better than war

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't bad, but it could have been better...

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The review definitely sounds like a 3/5. Heck, based on the review I can't even tell this is an Aquaman movie. Even in his own movie, Aquaman gets the short end.

I really want DC to explore some of their other characters, but it seems like they are stuck on Batman and Superman as the leads. As far as I know the next DC movie is about Batman again. Shame.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

is this movie has an after credits scene like justice league war

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They really need to lay off the New 52 Justice League stuff because they are all meh.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RexWing

This had alot of potential and started out so strong but they really ended up rushing it. With another hour of character develop this would have been alot better. I actually really enjoyed Orm with the exception of some cheesy lines. Got a few laughs out of GL. And Mera whipped some absolute a**. All in all if I'm in a good mood if gI've it 4 stars, but 3 is probably more accurate.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't watched the movie yet but it seems pretty meh.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

When are they going to make Kingdom Come?

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was fine until the queen got assassinated. She seemed like a smart character but then let her son who she knew was guilty of treason walk into her chambers armed. She accuses him of treason then completely turns her back on him to give orders to the only guy ever seen backing orm up and is surprised he is also a traitor. She just seemed so competent up until that point. Then there's wonder woman who just goes around straight up killing every enemy she sees and yet Batman and Superman seem completely ok with that. Wasn't one of their big things not killing. Otherwise just have superman up in orbit heat visioning all the criminals to death........oh wait that's basically what captain america was fighting against in Cap 2 and the Justice League fought against with the Justice Lords in the Justice League cartoon.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"john Henry run!"

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Manta's death was suprising and hilarious

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By comicfan11

As a DC movie it was a 4/10 and that's being extremely generous.

The plot holes and things that are glossed over to fast are numerous and make the pacing and overall story feel like a summary and not an actual story. Which makes sense since this is not an adaptation of Throne of Atlantis but a collection of clips that draws from issues 0-16 of Aquaman and Justice League 15-17. That's 20 issues of story in a 72 minute clipshow. Throne of Atlantis was 7 issues, Aquaman 0, 14-16 and JL 15-17.

But as an Aquaman centric movie? A movie to introduce people to Aquaman and Atlantis? This movie is a huge middle finger to all fans of the comics. It's a 2/10 only because of the Cyborg storyline and some of the voice acting. Even the fight scenes are totally uninspiring. Violent sure but pale in comparison with the source material where you could feel the gravity of the situation and far to plain and common for an animated movie. Here they are just ultra violent Sunday morning cartoon clips.

In this movie they take some of the best scenes of Aquaman from the story and give them to other characters while Aquaman is there. It's literally like having Legolas kill Smaug while Bard is next to him (thus negating any reason bard to be in the story). For example when Aquaman breaks free underwater he is the one who drops a mountain on the creature. Superman is not even there and oh yeah, this is the FINAL BATTLE OF AQUAMAN vol1 THE TRENCH! And they f@ckin give this to Superman? While this movie is supposed to introduce and showcase Aquaman? This is spiteful any way you look at it. And it happens multiple times in this story. But the worst part is that even during the final confrontation they change things and make Aquaman look worse (which the reviewer also mentioned). It's like the writer is actively sabotaging the character he is supposed to promote. In the actual story Aquaman defeats Orm unaided but here he kinda get's his @ss kicked and needs Cyborg to distract him. F@ckin bu11shit.

And as for Ocean Master the writer totally annihilated any character development Orm had since the beginning of New 52. The creatively dead 'writer' of this atrocity (same guy who did War AND Attack on Arkham btw) effectively made Orm clone number 72 of Loki. An annoying emo with mommy issues who hates his brother and the fact he will be king and has nothing to do with the character. Guess what in the comics Orm loves his brother, tries to avoid war at all costs but is betrayed and oh yeah he doesn't kill his mother. The writer shows that he doesn't understand what he is adapting which is no surprise since he did the same with Justice League War.

Oh and one of the most intense and violent rivalries in comics gets discarded as an afterthought effectively reducing Black Manta to a generic goon. All history he had with Aquaman before he was Aquaman gets erased in one fell swoop. You could have anyone from Count Vertigo to Mongul play his part and nothing would change.

As for the backstory of Aquaman. They pretty much butcher it and alter it with the changes not making any sense whatsoever and because of that produce countless plot holes and unanswered questions. For example in the comics we know that Aquaman was a trained warrior and leader even before the Justice League was formed. Here he just is an expert fighter without any explanation whatsoever. Even when he picks a weapon he never used before or even knew it existed he is a friggin Jedi Master with it instantly. Not even one single line of dialogue to explain this. In the comics he spends years learning and training how to use his powers. Here he just jumps in the water and says 'funny thing now I can talk to fish'. Is this serious? Someone wrote this and it was accepted by those who made the movie? Was it more important for the 'writer' of this thing to spend time showing us change the JL headquarters logo but not, you know, actually explain the story they are telling? This writing is amateurish at best. How could Geoff Johns let them touch one of the best stories of the New 52 and turn it into a 72 minute mauling of Aquaman's character?

All in all unless DC realizes the current writer of the JL movies is horrible at his supposed job, don't expect any new Batman Under the Red Hood or Flashpoint Paradox soon.

Cheers and condolences to any Aquaman fans.

PS Those are only a few of the problems with the script in this movie. There are much more like the whole 'JL members are idiots and attack Orm one on one' instance (which BTW was supposed to be Ivan Reis's epic artwork of Aquaman fighting the Trinity and then they fight together against Orm and here gets reduced to a few seconds of quick cut animation) but I might do a fully detailed post sometime. But so far many online reviewers are disappointed with this... 'film' and their reviews are out.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sasquatch888

i wanted to like it ...i watched it last night and found it lacking ,,,and i found it stupid how fast aquaman mastered his abilities and how the justice league got thier asses handed to them ,,,also i thought it was corny how easily Ocean master beat superman and shazam ...also the tridents how powerful exactly? so now if shazam gets blasted with electricity or lightning he gets turned into billy? ,,,theyve been making shazam into a clown ,,,they depict him as a goofball ,,,billy was always a mature kid pre 52 ,,,now hes a dumbass who doesnt shut up ,,,not cool . when i got up i looked at this blog and saw i wasnt alone in thinking this was'nt all that id hoped i was very disapointed in both this film and son of batman ...id give this 2 stars ...it was never explained why black manta was even in the movie and how a human even got close to ocean master and in atlantis's royal court ...plus i wasnt impressed by the atlantians attack force ...they didnt look like they could take over the surface world at all ... all they had was a dozen or so ships and spears ??? in 2015 spears? c'mon ,,,dumb ...and the whole tidal wave thing was wasted ....read the comic version of this story its so superior words cant describe,,,if i was goeff johns i would never let them disrespect my story like this...the reviewer was trying to be kind ...i could tell he was holding back....it sounded like he was making excuses and apologizing for this movie almost ...just be truthful reviewer this was a weak ass movie,,,we all want aquaman to get his due respect and hes a great charecter but this wasnt a good story at all admit it !

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaebccd120
deactivated-5a4aaebccd120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't feelin it. He jumps from bar fighter to responsible and king worthy in the span of about forty five minutes. No guidance, never met his queen mother, who apparently wasn't a queen by birthright but marriage(I'm not up on Aquaman's story).

Plus I can't buy that when he beats Orm, and tells an isolated race on the bottom of the ocean (place we been shafting for a century or two) that he's going to bring the worlds together and they all like the idea enough to not only lay down arms but even crown him King.

Glad you mentioned the WW and Supes ship too, it plays less in motion than it does in comics. They don't really balance each other at all. I reread grant morrisons JLA, he had it right. Bats is a better fit. Plus she laughed in someone's face when they asked why she didn't date Supes haha.