#1 Posted by HushoftheWind (806 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand some of the Greek God's comparison such as Superman/Zeus and Batman/Hades, but someone can be so can to go in depth on why each hero represent the Greek God Morrison chose for his JLA?

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Were there Greek God correlations in Morrison's JLA run? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I guess if you really wanna pair them up: Superman (Zeus), Aquaman (Poseidon), Batman (Hades), Wonder Woman (Athena), Flash (Hermes), Green Lantern (Apollo), Martian Manhunter (Um...no idea).

#3 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Superman-Zeus: king of the gods/god of the sky=number 1 superhero

2.Batman-Hades:god of the dead and riches who lives in the underworld=Rich guy who is haunted by death and lives in the batcave. Both are considered nessescary evils.

3.Wonder Woman-Hera:Queen of the gods biggest female superheroes

4.Green lantern-Apollo: god of light and art=graphic artist with a power ring

5.Athena-Oracle:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

6.Flash-Apollo-god of speed=fastest man alive

7.Aquaman-Poseidon: god of the seas=king of Atlantis

8.Martian Manhunter-Chiron: overseer/mentor to the gods but not truly a god himself=overseer mentor to the team yet somewhat isolated

9.Zauriel-Eros:god of sexual love=angel who fell in love with human woman

10.Plastic Man-Dionysius: hedonistic trickster god of wine=hedonistic trickster superhero

11.Orion-Ares:brutal Olympian god of war=savage apokolyptian Dog/God of War

12.Steel-Hephaestus :Hephaestus was god of the forge and made the Olympians weapons whereas Steel was the Leagues head tech expert and made several if the JL's gadgets.

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: yes. Morrison patterned his league off of the Greek gods/goddesses

#5 Posted by Lvenger (18366 posts) - - Show Bio

2.Batman-Hades:god of the dead and riches who lives in the underworld=Rich guy who is haunted by death and lives in the batcave. Both are considered nessescary evils.

5.Oracle:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

8.Martian Manhunter-Chiron: overseer/mentor to the gods but not truly a god himself=overseer mentor to the team yet somewhat isolated

10.Plastic Man-Dionysius: hedonistic trickster god of wine=hedonistic trickster superhero

12.Steel-Hephaestus :Hephaestus was god of the forge and made the Olympians weapons whereas Steel was the Leagues head tech expert and made several if the JL's gadgets.

Basically this. Just reading these comparisons again makes me adore what Morrison did in his JLA run and how innovative, smart and legendarily iconic it truly was. I gotta find an omnibus of it sometime.

#6 Edited by HushoftheWind (806 posts) - - Show Bio

i really wish they would re used this line up or will use this line up in the future. I know they have a demographic quota that have to meet but i think Steel is better suited as a leaguer and Cyborg is better suited as a titan. The Morrison run line up has been my favorite one ever. It just seems they got all their bases covered with that team.

#7 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5931 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison was a G. His stuff is its own mythos lol

#8 Posted by LyraFay (2473 posts) - - Show Bio

5.Oracle:Goddess of Knowledge and Strategy=number one information broker of the dcu

There is no Ancient Greek Goddess called Oracle, it was a job/priestess in the ancient world, the oracle in Delphi was the most important and she was the oracle of Apollo.

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay: yeah I know, I was matching up Oracle (babs) with Athena and forgot to actually put her name down.

#10 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1525 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

Morrison was a G. His stuff is its own mythos lol

Not to bash current or former religions, but in a couple thousand years, people might think that comics were actually thought of as our religion.

But I didnt think he actually compared his JL to the actual Opympians. I dont really like that. I just assumed they went with these guys are basicly gods, lets not even try to hold back or make the lesser tier heros look good. That these are basicly modern day earth's mythological stories.

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/martian-manhunter/4005-2047/forums/who-should-be-martian-manhunter-s-definitive-flame-1536596/#1

#12 Edited by Black_Claw (2909 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman-Zues

Batman-Hades

Wonder Woman-Hera

Green Lantern/Green Arrow-Apollo

Flash-Hermes

Aquaman-Poseidon

Martian Manhunter-Chrion

Vixen-Artemis

Cyborg-Hephaestus (only putting this here since WW made the comparison in JL war)

Orion/Hawkman-Ares

Oracle-Athena

Swamp Thing-Demeter (I know the genders don't match but this is a pretty fitting comparison)

#13 Edited by W3BST3R (286 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: WW said Shazam was Zeus for whatever reason. The whole 'Never met anyone like Superman' thing was kinda corny.

#14 Posted by JakeN7 (10885 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: Apollo is not the god of speed. The closest that we have to something like that is Hermes, who Flash's design is heavily influenced by.

#15 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: yeah, if you had seen subsequent comments, you'd know that was a typo.why would I purposely put Apollo twice.

Edit: wow. There ARE no subsequent comments. My bad man. But yeah, 'twas a typo

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: op is pretty speciffically asking for Morrison's JLA reasoning.

#17 Posted by Vitalius (1612 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw:

IF Genders dont matter. Why Green Arrow isnt Artemis? Both use bows and trained hunters. Plus Green Arrow have conections to Green Lanterns and Artimis to Apollo.