#1 Edited by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

New to the comic world, started with the new 52 since I figured it would be a good time to buy and read comics, I started reading Justice League, jut finished issue 2, im enjoying it a lot. I noticed while comic shopping that there ar other justice league series besides the one I have, like the ones I stated in the title of this thread. So since im reading Justice League (new 52) do you guys recommend I buy the other ones? I wont buy JL: International since it got cancelled.....I think. JL: Dark seems interesting, but IDK anyone from the covers art. JL:America seems to be the same as JL except it has MM....is there a conection between all this different series? Do you guys recommend them? Any future JL titles planned that you guys know of?

#2 Posted by corpsecraft (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League is the typical JL, although it has changed a bit since it started. It's generally pretty fun. JLI, in my opinion, is okay for the first six issues but quickly goes downhill, and was rightfully cancelled. JLA is newer, but don't let the supposed similarities between it and JL fool you; it is much different from its brother books. It is a good read as well, so definitely check it out (plus, it's only a few issues so far). JLD hardly has anything to do with the others, but is actually a much better read, and will be required reading for the upcoming event Trinity War.

#3 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League of America is a government run Justice League.

Dark is also a government run Justice League or at least it was up til recently. Dark deals with the magic side of DC and is a pretty good book.

All 3 are pretty good and I would recommend all of them.

#4 Posted by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I thought JL:Dark was like a villains group or something haha.

#6 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by trebean (630 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see what's wrong with it. I mean look at the Avengers:

Avengers

New Avengers

Secret Avengers

Avengers Academy (NOOOOOO!!!)

Young Avengers

Pet Avengers

Uncanny Avengers

Great Lakes Avengers

Dark Avengers

West Coast Avengers

#9 Posted by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League of America is a government run Justice League.

Dark is also a government run Justice League or at least it was up til recently. Dark deals with the magic side of DC and is a pretty good book.

All 3 are pretty good and I would recommend all of them.

JLD was run by the government but I believe they mostly cut ties although Trevor hasn't accepted it yet.

#10 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8406 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown: Justice League is the main group,the government tried to control the team (after Darkseid invasion), but they separated them and become autonomous.

Justice League Dark was also run by government,their primary function is deal with supernatural threat
subject in which the JL is not experienced,before Books of Magic,Constantine decided that the group should be separate from government.

Justice League of America is group by government,to defeat the main JL group.

#11 Edited by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

So good guys vs good guys? Why you do this DC!

#12 Posted by tec79 (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown: The hero on hero violence wont last long, the inevitable conflict between the three teams has to take place before they can unite. Whatever grudges remain between some characters will be used to provide sub plots for future stories, John's has a larger story that will build off of Trinity War.

#13 Posted by Akindoodle (973 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8406 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

The Justice League is more than seven members. Even the three title can't cover all of them.

#16 Posted by akbogert (3193 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess maybe this has been covered but it's really a matter of marketing/publicity. People are more likely to buy a book with "Justice League" in the title, so regardless of who is on the team or what the team's M.O. is, it serves a purpose. For me the most confusing thing is that prior to the New 52 to normal Justice League (with Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and such) was called the JLA, but now they're just the JL while the new team (created by Waller and co. to actually be able to take out the Justice League) is called JLA.

It is indeed comparable to the way Marvel uses Avengers, however. Like, Avengers Arena has jack squat to do with the Avengers (other than some Academy kids are being killed or threatened in it) but by virtue of that word on the cover, they probably sell more units than they otherwise would. The teams themselves have very few crossovers, and deal with entirely different segments of the DCnU.

EXCEPT now.

Trinity War deals with JL/JLA/JLD. It is going to be a massive event including those books and a bunch of minis/spinoffs/solos, and so either get ready to be buying a whole bunch of different books, or maybe wait until after all of the dust settles to decide which one/ones you want to follow. It may well be these teams cease to exist, or change functions entirely, by the time this War is over.

#17 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there really a pet Avengers?

#18 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc used to have a Legion of Super-Pets.

#19 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, Alot of those titles were made up. Pretty funny though.

#20 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

lockjaw and pet avengers : http://www.comics.org/series/37335/covers/

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (5493 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines said:

@chipsnopotatoes said:

They're all real, actually. Some of them are not being published at the moment, of course, but they're all real.

#22 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines said:

@chipsnopotatoes said:

They're all real, actually. Some of them are not being published at the moment, of course, but they're all real.

So all of those were made at some point in marvel's entire history? Lol whats the point of making a list like that?

#23 Edited by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a crossover between Marvel and DC pets!

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5493 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: His point was probably that Marvel has a fairly noticeable tendency to publish Avengers teams and titles compared to how many Justice League teams and titles there have been. Oh, and he forgot Mighty Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Avengers Arena, A+X, The Ultimates/Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates (counts to me) and Ultimate Comics: Avengers, not counting miniseries such as A-Next/Avengers Next or Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates, among others.

#25 Edited by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler said:

@novi_homines: His point was probably that Marvel has a fairly noticeable tendency to publish Avengers teams and titles compared to how many Justice League teams and titles there have been. Oh, and he forgot Mighty Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Avengers Arena, A+X, The Ultimates/Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates (counts to me) and Ultimate Comics: Avengers, not counting miniseries such as A-Next/Avengers Next or Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates, among others.

I guess, I still don't see the point, since the OP only lists currently active JL titles. He didn't list JL Task Force, JL Elite, JL Beyond, JL Unlimited, JL Adventures, JL Europe, etc. Lol. Just seems pointless.

#26 Edited by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler said:

I guess, I still don't see the point, since the OP only lists currently active JL titles. He didn't list JL Task Force, JL Elite, JL Beyond, JL Unlimited, JL Adventures, JL Europe, etc. Lol. Just seems pointless.

Oh god, you mean theres more justice league titles? So many of them, I'm only reading New 52 series, and I just started buying comics a month ago, im a total noob in the comic world.

#27 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines said:

@smashbrawler said:

Oh god, you mean theres more justice league titles? So many of them, I'm only reading New 52 series, and I just started buying comics a month ago, im a total noob in the comic world.

Lol no no! These are some from earlier in DC's history. no need to read all of them.

#28 Posted by Outside_85 (8106 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly the only real reason we have so many Justice Leagues right now isDC having figured out that turning the various super teams into a franchise of their biggest team would help increase sales.

Like JL Dark could easily have been named Shadowpact or Sentinels of Magic (which are names of older magic-orientated teams). Justice League of America could have ended up with some other name in a similar fashion.

But atm there is a story-told reason why all these teams are Justice League and that's to feed off the goodwill the public has to the original team in an effort to legitimize the younger teams in the eyes of the public, even if the League has nothing to do with the others or even approves the use of their name. (I would imagine that if Batman cared about such a thing as image, then he would probably have a whole lot of things against being associated with Constantine)

#29 Edited by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

Crime doesn't limit itself to just one country or type. That's why

#30 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there are loads of superheroes and the Watchtower isn't big enough for all of them.

So, they need to branch out to the Hall of Justice, JLI Embassy, etc.

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish there was another Superteam in DC which was not named JL_. Marvel has Avengers, X-Men, F4 but DC has what? Only JL. I hope they revive Outsiders and Shadowpact.

#32 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I wish there was another Superteam in DC which was not named JL_. Marvel has Avengers, X-Men, F4 but DC has what? Only JL. I hope they revive Outsiders and Shadowpact.

Demon Knights? Stormwatch? Team 7? Teen Titans? Legion of Super-Heroes? Hawk & Dove? Outlaws? Birds of Prey? Various Lantern Corps? Creature Commandos? Legion Lost? Batman Inc.? The Ravagers? Suicide Squad?
BB

#33 Edited by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: No of them are as popular as X-Men or F4 and Lantern corps are not earth based teams. Teen Titans are teenage versions of JL. Demon Knight, T7, LoSH, H&D, Ravagers and LL are cancelled and none of the team comes close to JL in popularity. Avengers, X-Men and F4 have multiple spin-off books. They are the major players of MU but all the DC leagues except JL/GLC never had any significant roles in most of DC's major events.

#35 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy:

You didn't mention anything about popularity.

And those where just the teams from the New 52.

BB

#36 Posted by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: Marvel has plenty other teams too so when I mentioned those 3 I thought it was clear what I was talking about. And I wasn't just talking about popularity, whenever something major happens its upto JL and GL to save the day, most of the other teams don't get involved or get overshadowed by them.

#37 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy:

No, you just said superteam which is vague. You didn't say anything about popularity or importance. And Fantastic Four rarely gets involved in anything.

BB

#38 Posted by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: Sorry next time I'll be more clear. And F4 is the marvel GL, they deal with most of the cosmic stuffs, you can't deny their importance in MU.

#39 Edited by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@billy_batson: Sorry next time I'll be more clear. And F4 is the marvel GL, they deal with most of the cosmic stuffs, you can't deny their importance in MU.

They do a lot of important, universe-bending stuff within the confines of their own book; in most company events, they're usually pushed to the sidelines while the Avengers do all the work.

#40 Edited by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: That doesn't mean they are not important in the larger MU. They are just as important as Avengers and X-Men, and after the F4 movie comes out and if its a hit then we'll definitely get a F4 centered Event, there's a chance we'll get it sooner considering Marvel is throwing events one after another.

#41 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@citizenbane: That doesn't mean they are not important in the larger MU. They are just as important as Avengers and X-Men, and after the F4 movie comes out and if its a hit then we'll definitely get a F4 centered Event, there's a chance we'll get it sooner considering Marvel is throwing events one after another.

Maybe, possibly, hypothetically; but Marvel's last 6 or 7 events have had negligible participation from the F4 as compared to the Avengers or X-Men. Don't hold your breath.

#42 Posted by RustyRoy (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: I don't care actually, I haven't read any Marvel events for a while now. I'm only reading Hawkeye and UXM from Marvel. The thing is Avengers and X-Men are very popular now because of the movies while the F4 movies have been very underwhelming but if the new F4 movie is successful then they'll definitely throw an event for them.

#43 Posted by Farkam (4784 posts) - - Show Bio