• 81 results
#1 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

"Following from this were three trailers for current/upcoming DC projects.... This third one [Flashpoint Paradox] bought with it a the news that as in the comics with the Flashpoint event leading to the New 52, so this movie will do the same for the DC animated movie universe. It seems that, for now at least, future DC animated movies will be set in the New 52 universe."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/18/dc-comics-101-essentials-sdcc/

Geoff Johns has pull.

Reactions below.

Edit/Update-

Disproven?

On the longer animated features side of things, DC just announced their next three films. The news was rolled out after the screening of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. We’ll be seeing Justice League: War in 2014 based off the first storyline from Geoff Johns in the rebooted 52 Universe, Son of Batman which is about Damian Wayne, andBatman: Assault on Arkham. That last one is pretty self explanatory. So you have New 52 Justice League, the story that introduced us to Damian Wayne, and an Arkham movie all coming down the pipeline. I would imagine DC will stick to their three movies a year plan, so this could all be coming up throughout 2014.That’s all the news there is at this time, but we’ll obviously be hearing a lot more about this soon. What do you think about the news of DC‘s next animated efforts?

http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/sdcc-13-dc-announces-a-bruce-timm-short-plus-their-next-wave-of-animated-films-155312

There's also a rumor going around that after the two Batman films is going to be a Justice League film titled Justice League: Invasion which is supposed to adapt Throne of Atlantis.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?461139-Two-new-animated-features-announced-for-after-JL-War-(They-re-both-Batman!)&p=17328998

------

Also, I just saw the sneak peek for Justice League: War, and it looks like Shazam will replace Aquaman. -_-

Does this story need another flying brick with jet-black hair?

Post your thoughts below.

--EDIT/UPDATE 2:

#2 Posted by Lvenger (21181 posts) - - Show Bio

There are still so many Pre Flashpoint and Elseworlds titles they could use but no, they have to stick with the disjointed New 52 universe. It's saddening that Johns' pitifully bad Justice League origin arc will be adapted before The Killing Joke, Kingdom Come or truly memorable, iconic DC stories.

#3 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear. Sure there are still a lot of pre 52 stories that would make a good animated film. But I'm glad to see DC committed to the New 52 when it comes to animation.

#4 Posted by TDK_1997 (15069 posts) - - Show Bio

There are so many pre-52 DC stories that should be brought into the animated universe but because Johns wants his stupid creation called the New 52 have more popularity,we will be getting only New 52 movies.That's just great.

#5 Edited by Black_Claw (3089 posts) - - Show Bio

The new 52 movies have a lot of potential, but damn it I really wanted to see movies based off of The Judas Contract and the Killing Joke.

#6 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11269 posts) - - Show Bio

If we don't get a Sinestro Corps War - we've been cheated.

#7 Edited by dondave (38891 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear. Sure there are still a lot of pre 52 stories that would make a good animated film. But I'm glad to see DC committed to the New 52 when it comes to animation.

#8 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11269 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Edited by The Stegman (25988 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad to see the commitment and in a way, this is good so new watchers won't get confused by two continuities...but man, I wanted a Sinestro Corps War movie.

#10 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by Black_Claw (3089 posts) - - Show Bio

If we don't get a Sinestro Corps War - we've been cheated.

Thankfully, the Sinstro Corps war (along with damn near all the pre flashpoint GL continuity) is still canon in the new 52. They all just happened in a shorter amount of time due to the whole 5 year thing.

#12 Posted by JohnnyGat (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

Crosses finger for a Batman and Robin "Born to Kill" movie.

#13 Edited by Hawkguy (584 posts) - - Show Bio

I guarantee the trench, throne of Atlantis and the court of owls are right around the corner. In a way I don't mind but some pre new52 would be nice to see

#14 Edited by lilben42 (2601 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all Geoff Johns fault!

#15 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

An adaptation of Kingdom Come or Justice would perfect with this kind of animation:

#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11269 posts) - - Show Bio

An adaptation of Kingdom Come or Justice would perfect with this kind of animation:

In total agreement there. I have both, an Justice in Absolute edition. Love Ross' art. It would cost a BOMB, but if they released it in the cinema. I think they'd get their money's worth. Kingdom Come is something all good fans want to see.

#17 Edited by CaptainLantern76 (584 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: agreed except that i loved the JL origin but it wasnt for everyone

#19 Posted by Lvenger (21181 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be perfect. Why was this never considered?

#20 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they just mean they will be doing new 52 looks for all characters. I still have hope for a blackest night movie

#21 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Don't get all the hate about the New 52, they have some great story lines that DC could use.

#22 Posted by The_Boogieman (30 posts) - - Show Bio

In that case, I want Court of Owls and Animal Man!

#23 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Don't get all the hate about the New 52, they have some great story lines that DC could use.

Oh, no doubt about that. I would love to see Court of Owls, Rotworld, Throne of Atlantis, etc. adapted into animated films. But the problem here is that its ALL they're doing now, which means we'll never get to see any of the multitude of fantastic pre-reboot stories that would make for great animated movies, stuff like Kingdom Come, Judas Contract, Killing Joke, so on and so forth.

#24 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22969 posts) - - Show Bio

Really want "Nightwing Traps and Trapezed" made in to a movie. And as a bonus feature: Nightwings part in "Night of Owls"

I also would love an Earth 2 movie. I might want it to be a different story then just Grundy.

#25 Edited by entropy_aegis (15438 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is true then Court of Owls,Death of the Family,Throne of Atlantis,Trinity War and Forever Evil are a lock.Maybe the Others and Zero Year as well.

Looks like Flashpoint is gonna be the last DC universe movie that I'll buy,if DC insists on producing sub par crap then I have no problem saying that I will pirate them.

#26 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

That would be perfect. Why was this never considered?

If GLTAS and Young Justice were considered too expensive, then a whole movie with DCUO Cinematic animation would be way too expensive...

#27 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

And so the final blow to that old bastion of quality DC properties, the Animated DCU. Let me just put it on the record even though it's obvious, the new 52 should have just been the animated DCU. Not the other way around.

I'm sure we'll still get some decent animated films from it, but no longer will we be able to turn to the animated stuff for under-served/missing characters. They've been heading in that direction for a while, but it's still a bummer.

#28 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Positives and negatives, of course.

Positives:

1. Have to admire DC's decision to stand by their reboot
  2. New comic fans as a result of the n52 will fell more involved with the animated features
  3. Gives a chance to characters and titles that have increased in popularity since the reboot (e.g. Animal Man and Swamp Thing)
  4. Good stories from the reboot will be animated more sooner now that reboot DCU is only considered (e.g. A Court of Owls, Aquaman: The Trench, The Kill Machine etc.)

Negatives:

1. Decision to focus on reboot removes the possibility of animating some of the most acclaimed and popular story lines (such as Sinestro Corps War, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Kingdom Come etc.) - which will undoubtedly upset longtime comic readers
  2. Removes possibility to animate characters that have not yet featured in the animated films, and are absent from the comics thus far (e.g. Wally West, Ted Kord, etc.)
  3. The characters used may not necessarily be the versions or designs of the characters that longtime fans like/prefer (e.g. Martian Manhunter, Mr. Freeze)

I've enjoyed the rebooted comics quite a bit, but obviously sad to hear that some of my favourite stories won't be made. Overall, as long as DC puts out good quality animated features, I'll be happy.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (21181 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: A fair point. But damn, that 6 minute animation was awesome looking.

#30 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6462 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Hamill better be Joker in DotF

#31 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Lulz. This is the dumbest thing they could possibly do.

#32 Posted by Squalleon (4868 posts) - - Show Bio

shame :-(

#33 Posted by Killemall (18607 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointed.

Very disappointed.

#34 Edited by Kwodam (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Great just stop dowing jeff johns stuff And start dowing scott snyder stuff. Then i am okay with it

#35 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome news! Thanks for sharing.

#37 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointed.

Very disappointed.

#38 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

well f&*( me sideways

#39 Posted by JulieDC (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

Bummer.

#40 Posted by noj (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

I hear alot of butthurt in this thread but I for one am excited. While not everybody loved JL Origin I liked it alot an am pretty excited for it. IMO its a story that will work even better as a movie that it did as a comic. Villains Journey was great as well and Throne of Atlantis was just amazing. A 2 part Court of Owls/Night of Owls movie would be amazing as well. There are quite a few New 52 storylines that would make epic movies.

That being said sure Im a tad dissapointed that we wont be getting Kingdom Come or Killing Joke anytime soon but that doesnt mean we will NEVER get them. They said that this is the direction theyre taking future DC animated movies for the foreseeable future but that may change in a few years and they will sprinkle in a few elseworlds movies here and there.

#41 Edited by WELLDONE (12 posts) - - Show Bio

so we might get a captain atom movie?

#42 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, I was getting sick of the red shorts there too anyways... Now for The Adventures of Superman!

#44 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Removes possibility to animate characters that have not yet featured in the animated films, and are absent from the comics thus far (e.g. Wally West, Ted Kord, etc.)

Ted Kord I agree with, but Wally West? He's been featured way to much in animation. Its time to give the other Flashes a chance.

#45 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey DC fans!

"Following from this were three trailers for current/upcoming DC projects.... This third one [Flashpoint Paradox] bought with it a the news that as in the comics with the Flashpoint event leading to the New 52, so this movie will do the same for the DC animated movie universe. It seems that, for now at least, future DC animated movies will be set in the New 52 universe."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/18/dc-comics-101-essentials-sdcc/

Geoff Johns has pull.

Reactions below.

DC has no regard for its readers it seems. Suicide by New52

#46 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Killing Joke can still be amde,because is recognized one of the few cannon stories in New 52.

#47 Edited by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

There is some stuff I'd like to see animated:

• Aquaman: The Trench
  • Aquaman/JL: Throne of Atlantis
  • Aquaman: The Others
  • Batman and Robin: Born to kill
  • Demon Knights
  • Supergirl: Worldkillers
#48 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Disproven?

On the longer animated features side of things, DC just announced their next three films. The news was rolled out after the screening of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. We’ll be seeing Justice League: War in 2014 based off the first storyline from Geoff Johns in the rebooted 52 Universe, Son of Batman which is about Damian Wayne, and Batman: Assault on Arkham. That last one is pretty self explanatory. So you have New 52 Justice League, the story that introduced us to Damian Wayne, and an Arkham movie all coming down the pipeline. I would imagine DC will stick to their three movies a year plan, so this could all be coming up throughout 2014.That’s all the news there is at this time, but we’ll obviously be hearing a lot more about this soon. What do you think about the news of DC‘s next animated efforts?

http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/sdcc-13-dc-announces-a-bruce-timm-short-plus-their-next-wave-of-animated-films-155312

#49 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

1. Removes possibility to animate characters that have not yet featured in the animated films, and are absent from the comics thus far (e.g. Wally West, Ted Kord, etc.)

Ted Kord I agree with, but Wally West? He's been featured way to much in animation. Its time to give the other Flashes a chance.

Well, so far in the animated movies, it's been Barry Allen.

I'm fine with that as Barry is my favourite Flash by far, but many fans continually voice their concerns about the lack of Wally since the reboot. I guess it's understandable since Barry left the mantle of the Flash to Wally for so many years. In that time, a whole new generation of comic fans came.