Could WB Make JL Without Their Biggest Characters: Superman and Batman?

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Could WB Make JL Without Their Biggest Characters: Superman and Batman? (32 votes)

Yes 63%
No 38%

Marvel Studios had to create the MCU without Spider-man and Wolverine, and they pulled it off--more than that, they made it flourish. Could WB have created a DCCU without Superman and Batman? How would the Justice League's team dynamic change?

Discuss and Explain.

• 
Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Black_Arrow

The Marvel situation is completely different. Spider man and Wolverine aren´t even part of the Avengers (or at least they aren´t important to the Avengers mythos), but Superman and Batman have always been founding members of the JL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

CW almost has JL. Arrow, The Flash, (Black) Canary, Arsenal, The Atom, Vixen and Firestorm. So it is possibel to JL without DC Trinity

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could, but no one would watch it.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@awesam said:

They could, but no one would watch it.

Partially this but I'd still see it

They could do the Cry for Justice storyline with Green Arrow and Green Lantern as leads

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Captain13

@black_arrow said:

The Marvel situation is completely different. Spider man and Wolverine aren´t even part of the Avengers (or at least they aren´t important to the Avengers mythos), but Superman and Batman have always been founding members of the JL.

That's not true. Several incarnations haven't had either of them as founders, either for legal reasons or fear of overexposure. You can look it up.

I think it could work with the right people building the universe. I mean GotG worked, and they didn't have brand recognition. Saying it wouldn't work undersells the other heroes.

Problem is that WB hasn't had a great track record with superheroes outside of the Dark Knight films. They're too old Hollywood.

Leadership arguments could be made for Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Now, even if it did work out, there would be complaints like there are for Spider-man and Wolverine.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. The JL are DC's biggest heroes and DC's biggest superheroes belongs on the JL.

Marvel would've put Wolverine and Spider-Man on the (A) if they had the rights to them.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. People are aware of other Justice League members, but don't know anything about them because DC chooses to primarily popularize two characters.

Also, look at Arrow. They seem to be building a JL without the Trinity, yet these characters are getting in the limelight.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they can

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black_Arrow

@captain13 said:

@black_arrow said:

That's not true. Several incarnations haven't had either of them as founders, either for legal reasons or fear of overexposure. You can look it up.

I think it could work with the right people building the universe. I mean GotG worked, and they didn't have brand recognition. Saying it wouldn't work undersells the other heroes.

Problem is that WB hasn't had a great track record with superheroes outside of the Dark Knight films. They're too old Hollywood.

Now, even if it did work out, there would be complaints like there are for Spider-man and Wolverine.

I know that there are many teams of JL that don´t have them as founding members. What I meant is that they are always there at the start of the first team. Equally it doesn´t matter now I can see the thing work without them (what I mean is that I think that people can find it appealing without them). I mean considering all the members that they had have during the years you could make up with them a team that the public will like.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

Of course they can. They're already working on their own "trinity".

No Caption Provided

I think you could put together a pretty strong six or seven hero squad.

1. Green Arrow
  2. Flash
  3. Vixen
  4. Atom
  5. Firestorm
  6. Black Canary
  7. Red Arrow? Katana?
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure but it wouldn't be anywhere near as successful, and I wouldn't consider it the justice league.

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

In all fairness, you can't expect every C-List Team to be as popular as the Guardians of the Galaxy. That's like assuming every solo title will make Dark Knight money, when it could just as easily be the next Green Lantern or Hulk.

Anyway, I think DC could do it, but I think it would have to be with some sort of progressional system.

When the members feel that they can't stay on for whatever reasons (Aquaman is too busy as King, Bruce is too old, Hal is off-world too often/gets kicked out of the Corps for some reason,) then you can still make a Justice League as long as you establish connections.

Introduce Robin/Nightwing/Red Robin and have him replace Batman. Have Superman elect Icon as his replacement, as his friend and a capable fighter and intellectual. Have Cyborg remain on the team as a senior member.

Basically, characters that would have been Titans or have some sort of connection with past members can be brought into the team, and it would still be the Justice League, and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

Eventually, you get a new team consisting of:

• Icon
  • Donna Troy/Wonder Woman II
  • Red Robin/Nightwing
  • Shazam
  • Wally West
  • Vixen
  • Tempest/Kaldur

I think, given enough time and a little bit of focus in films throughout the DCCU, fans would be ready to accept these replacements as a viable Justice League as simply the next chapter in the JL story because their was a natural progression in the changes that never all happened at once. (Hell, Bruce could get replaced as early as his solo film given his age, so by the time of JL: 2, Drake/Dick has already replaced him.)

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well by not having them, you're losing a lot of it's potential. The core fans would go to watch JL multiple times because of Batman & Superman. It would work but with those to it loses it's profit potential.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They could do it with ease to be totally honest -- Superman and Batman are not as interesting as DC/ fanboys make them out to be. I'd actually like to see more projects without them.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

It can be done. There have been plenty of Justice League stories with Superman or Batman. The couple few issues of the Justice League didn't include the two. Martian Manhunter and Green Arrow (though added about 5 or 6 issues after the first Justice League comic) were on the team cuz Julie Schwartz and the other DC staff writers and artists were afraid of overexposing Superman and Batman (if only it could be that why these days) so they used those two as substitutes.

However I think they shouldn't do a movie without them. Despite them not truly be there the first couple issues they are essentials. Its different than Spider-man and Wolverine. Where Spidey has always been a solo hero and Wolverine being tied to the X-Men they were never major players in the Avengers. They are part of the Avengers though they never had a big as role like Superman and Batman had with the Justice League. Its like having an Avenger movie without Iron Man and Captain America. Those two are major players with the Avengers.

Maybe when more Justice League films give us more heroes like Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Hawks, Atom, Zatanna, Elongated Man, etc. then we could see some movies with Superman and Batman just because there are more characters, but Superman and Batman are way too important to the Justice League to leave them out in a movie.

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martian manhunter and Diana would be more than competent leaders...