#1 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC should push Shazam more in other media. He's one of the only superheroes that Marvel or some other company doesn't have a ripoff of. And he has a lot of story-telling potential. He can be made more serious for serious video games and movies like Thor or Harry Potter or Darksiders. I would love to see a live action Shazam film based on his New 52 iteration.

He could definitely carry his own cartoon.

Or he could work in a more magical, cartoon-y world like the kind of world found in Super Mario or Kingdom Hearts. I would love to play a goofy, magical Shazam game with Billy going on adventures to new worlds and defending them from Black Adam.

I would definitely prefer a Shazam push over a Flash or Aquaman one. It's a more unique take on superheroes that hasn't been exploited yet. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him

#3 Posted by batmannflash (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam is awesome. DC could really push him to be popular. but I don't see him being as popular as Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, or GL. but a push could get him into a live-action movie, his own series in the New 52, and maybe one day even an animated tv series

#4 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by SmoothJammin (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him a lot too.

#6 Edited by RDClip (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the character well enough, but I don't think he is interesting enough as a character to try to do a major push. He should be part of the JL or JLA and get his own series, but he doesn't really fit with what DC is trying to do in the cinematic universe right now. If MoS is anything to go on, DC wants their cinematic universe to be much more gloomy and serious than the Marvel movies. I just don't see a whimsical story about a magically powered little kid to fit into it.

It would be very hard to write a convincing story about a friggen 12 year old dealing with the bad guys and situation the DCCU is trying to push now. He could work as a cartoon, but a less-serious one aimed at younger (6-10yr old) audience.

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel used to be more popular than Superman and Batman, and I believe Billy is one of the few characters that can match the popularity of Batman and Superman. I'd definitely prefer a Captain Marvel movie more than a WW or a Aquaman movie. He's movie has more chance of being successful than the other DC characters.

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope so.

I'd love it if he was.

#9 Posted by Nahuel (376 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the kind of character that can connect both with kids and adults...

Let's hope they do him justice with whatever they come up with... IF they (DC/Warner) come up with something for this awesome character

#10 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8246 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam isn't appealing for the most of people since they don't know much about him,he needs more time to get the spotlight and more appearances in other media (such games and animations) and yes I would like to see his movie.

#11 Edited by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

I think an animated series would be a good way for him to get some exposure.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

A Shazam game like Darksiders? I'm playing Darksiders now and no way is Shazam suitable for that. Still an animated series would be great for him to get some exposure. Shazam can work both for kids and for more mature viewers if a more fantasy root is brought in like how he is portrayed in the New 52.

#13 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely agree that Shazam should be pushed by DC. With the proper writing and maybe his own video game he could definitely take off. I don't think he'll become as popular as superman or batman but he could definitely be mentioned among some of the most famous superheros. I think a Shazam movie would be better than Aquaman, Flash, or even a GL sequel but I think it's too soon and DC should focus more on getting out a Batman reboot and whatever other characters of the Justice League the want to showcase in a movie and then make a Justice League movie. Maybe Shazam could make an appearance in the Justice League movie and get his own movie taking place afterwards. Who knows.

#14 Posted by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam is awesome

#15 Edited by Ms. Omega (4369 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope they use him more I like him more than Superman.

#16 Posted by wolverine1610 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

i honestly hope so, im a bit tired of superman and batman being EVERYWHERE, especially batman

#17 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

I vaguely remember Johns saying that Shazam will play a prominent role in the long run on the justice league series and in the New 52 in general. He and Cyborg are gonna have a 'special' relationship (not that way) as both are the youngest of the JL, hence why they gravitate to one another more than to any other member of the Justice League. After hearing that news, i hope that Shazam will be a legitimate character (with Cyborg) and not one used for plots of events, like arcs concentrated around him would be cool.

I too like the prospect of seeing an animated series of Shazam as he can reach to a wide audience, i really do hope DC goes with the push (similar to what they did with Aquaman in the New 52)

#18 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i love his character but his recent portrail has been piss pour at best. and there arent any rip-offs of him because he is a rip-off.

#19 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm tired of people calling Captain Marvel a rip off, he's not a rip off character and he does have ripoffs - Ben 10, Thor(Donald Blake version), Marvelman etc.

#20 Posted by Knightfall225 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Shazam

he has a great enemy in Black Adam plus Adam's new costume is cool. I think if they improve his villain gallery and give him a comic then he would have a huge fan base

#21 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by Evilmime13 (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@rustyroy said:

I'm tired of people calling Captain Marvel a rip off, he's not a rip off character and he does have ripoffs - Ben 10, Thor(Donald Blake version), Marvelman etc.

Yeah, honestly, the biggest problem for him is likely Ben 10. Think about it, a young Male Child gets a power from a mighty being, and can turn into a adult superhero. Any movie made from him runs the risk of getting compared to Ben 10, and you can forget about him ever getting his own animated series. Cartoon Network is usually the only network that shows DC stuff, and they are obsessed with Ben 10. Moral of the story, the only chance Billy ever has to getting his own animated series is in maybe 20-40 years after Ben 10 is gone and buried.

#23 Posted by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Yeah, honestly, the biggest problem for him is likely Ben 10. Think about it, a young Male Child gets a power from a mighty being, and can turn into a adult superhero. Any movie made from him runs the risk of getting compared to Ben 10, and you can forget about him ever getting his own animated series. Cartoon Network is usually the only network that shows DC stuff, and they are obsessed with Ben 10. Moral of the story, the only chance Billy ever has to getting his own animated series is in maybe 20-40 years after Ben 10 is gone and buried.

Well they could always put a Shazam cartoon on the hub since they air re-runs of Batman TAS and Superman TAS. But like you said, Ben 10 is still gonna be a huge roadblock.

#24 Edited by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Maybe they can make a live action movie about him, that would put itahead of Ben 10 and they can also show the difference Ben 10 and Shazam's universes.

#25 Posted by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@evilmime13 said:
@rustyroy said:

Maybe they can make a live action movie about him, that would put itahead of Ben 10 and they can also show the difference Ben 10 and Shazam's universes.

Helps that the live action ben 10 movies are complete garbage. lol

#26 Posted by Ms. Omega (4369 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Ben 10 and the Omnitrix is a ripoff of the H-Dial from the old Dial H For Hero Comics from DC.

#27 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cheesy to look at now, but back in the 70's the live action TV show was very prominent- as a PSA vehicle, and a way to outreach to kids. I think a modern take on this show in the same vein as those disney-kid shows like Jessie, ANT Farm, Good Luck Charlie, Victorious- or any of that style of show has a better chance of making Billy Batson a household name, and SHAZAM a word you hear screamed across the playgrounds once again.

#28 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilmime13 said:
@rustyroy said:

Ben 10 and the Omnitrix is a ripoff of the H-Dial from the old Dial H For Hero Comics from DC.

Ben 10 took inspiration from almost every Superhero characters and Shazam is one of them, a boy gets power which lets him transform to a Superhero with different power sets, that's Captain Marvel's thing.

@rustyroy said:

@evilmime13 said:
@rustyroy said:

Helps that the live action ben 10 movies are complete garbage. lol

Yeah that definitely helps, I think a Shazam movie can translate better in movies than a Ben 10 movie.

#29 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be cool! Captain Marvel is one of my favorites. Also at one point he was one of the best selling comic series and was the first superhero to ever get his own movie/be seen in live action.

#30 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2586 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

As a kid, I use to watch their animated show and enjoyed it immensely...haven;t sen it since, so I don't know if modern-day me would like it or not

#32 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cheesy to look at now, but back in the 70's the live action TV show was very prominent- as a PSA vehicle, and a way to outreach to kids. I think a modern take on this show in the same vein as those disney-kid shows like Jessie, ANT Farm, Good Luck Charlie, Victorious- or any of that style of show has a better chance of making Billy Batson a household name, and SHAZAM a word you hear screamed across the playgrounds once again.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

#34 Edited by ShazamFan666 (338 posts) - - Show Bio
SHAZAM IS THE BEST SUPERHERO EVER. I agree that he should have his own animated series, but not anything cartoonish or like Mario.

Shazam is awesome. DC could really push him to be popular. but I don't see him being as popular as Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, or GL. but a push could get him into a live-action movie, his own series in the New 52, and maybe one day even an animated tv series

He could be more popular than Flash or GL, possibly as popular as Diana.

#35 Posted by entropy_aegis (14114 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam and Aquaman IMO can easily become DC's next big cash cows,they have villains that people can take seriously and even relate to,I'm sure the audience will react far more positively to Black Adam,Black Manta and Ocean Master than they will to talking gorillas and cheetahs ,heck Adam can easily become a hit on his own,get Dwayne Johnson dammit. They both have superior and more relatable supporting characters,they would need to focus on the marketing and tweak the stories a little bit but it can absolutely work.I dont see Flash ever becoming a blockbuster franchise,same goes for WW,not dissing the characters or their fans but it's how I sincerely feel.

#36 Posted by M3th (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha with Superman! Yeah! Sure! [×]√

#37 Posted by gettogaara (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam has been one of my favorite things out of New 52, which is funny because beforehand my interest in the character was pretty minimal. While I'd like him to get more exposure, I think the first thing he needs is his own New 52 series instead of just being at the end of JL.

#38 Posted by fil123 (469 posts) - - Show Bio

i find shazam annoying... always have. the only time i actually respected the character was in kingdom come

#39 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam and Aquaman IMO can easily become DC's next big cash cows,they have villains that people can take seriously and even relate to,I'm sure the audience will react far more positively to Black Adam,Black Manta and Ocean Master than they will to talking gorillas and cheetahs ,heck Adam can easily become a hit on his own,get Dwayne Johnson dammit. They both have superior and more relatable supporting characters,they would need to focus on the marketing and tweak the stories a little bit but it can absolutely work.I dont see Flash ever becoming a blockbuster franchise,same goes for WW,not dissing the characters or their fans but it's how I sincerely feel.

Outside of Black Adam, all you have is the Sivana Family and the Monster Society of Evil, a worm named Mister Mind, Captain Nazi (who is very out of date now) and Mr. Atom and Chain Lightning who are obscure villains but have some potential. How is he supposed to hold a show with a limited rogues gallery?

#40 Posted by The_Greatest_Green_Lantern (68 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Bruxae (12136 posts) - - Show Bio

I think alot of the adult fans might have trouble identifying with a child.

#42 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: Then market to kids. That's why Shazam needs an animated series.

#43 Posted by RDClip (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: I agree with that, keep it aimed at kids without any really heavy content and it could be a success. As an adult, I don't really find children and teenagers interesting as characters.

#44 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: Then market to kids. That's why Shazam needs an animated series.

That sounds like a cool idea. There was a post comparing Ben10 to Shazam.

Shazam could be everything Ben10 is, and more.

#46 Posted by ViperKing (422 posts) - - Show Bio

FIrst off, a Shazam series in the New 52 would be a start. After Shazam's fanbase is enlargened, I believe an animated movie could happen. After this, I personally believe Shazam could hold his own animated series if his fan base is large enough. Until this animated series takes his popularity to a new level, Shazam won't be taking a live-action movie because of being relatively unknown amongst non-comic readers. I do agree that a Shazam live-action movie would be great though.

Unfortunately, I doubt DC Comics will push Shazam in the media. He doesn't even have his own New 52 series yet but characters like Harley Quinn are receiving one. Wonder Woman has received her own animated movie and is possibly receiving a television show still in development. Flash is rumoured to be appearing in the television show, Arrow, has already received his own animated movie, and will receive his own live-action series in CW. Aquaman is currently holding a successful comic series and is receiving his own animated movie. Compared to these popular characters, which have less media coverage than Superman, Batman, or Green Lantern, Shazam doesn't stand a chance unless a serious push is made.

I do hope this character will receive the media coverage he deserves, especially a New 52 series. He has a great supporting cast plus quite a rogues gallery. I especially like the villains Black Adam, Dr. Sivana, King Kull, and Mr. Mind. He has incredible potential and he definitely deserved the DC animated short featuring him.