undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The Superfriends (that’s who they are to me now, and I won’t be told otherwise) find themselves stranded on a prison planet that the near-omnipotent Locus sent them to. It’s a planet that hides many secrets, the largest clearly at its core and that’s the one that shakes this new League to THEIR core even more than the death of one of their own in a previous issue. Keith Giffen on plot and J.M. DeMatteis on dialog do a great job of quickly introducing and establishing Takron-Galtos and giving us a look at a new character and an old one from the book’s first issue. Though “old” is perhaps an odd term to use on a book that is only in its third issue, it seems apropos considering how well established and fleshed out these characters already are. I love the dynamic of a Justice League that has no attachment but to its own myths, and has absolutely no earned team dynamic. A Superman who realizes his own power without the loving influence of the Kents, a Batman who’s overly-analytical without the influence of a family and a Wonder Woman whose brutality and bloodlust know no limits without understanding the nuance of a modern world. The plot advances with great economy, but rarely feels rushed and ultimately earns its beats quite well. We cut back and forth between the Trinity, the Twins and the Lantern, but it never feels too abrupt nor does it feel too scattershot as everyone gets a good amount of attention and panel-time and most have a good amount, even, of development, particularly Superman.

Howard Porter and Hi-Fi provide the linework and colors respectively and they really are the highlights of this issue, even with the writing as good as it is. There’s an amazing splash page that establishes exactly the kind of planet Takron-Galtos is in just two pages, ensuring the plot can move forward in an efficient, economical manner keeping the pace of the great storytelling consistent. I continue to absolutely love the character designs as, while no one can be sure of course, they look appropriately futuristic, but don’t lack relatability. You can almost see where a lot of the styles come from, even if they are pretty far removed. Wonder Woman, in particular, seeing as her style is already “ultra-retro” in the modern age. The colors are surprisingly bright and even cartoonish, but never forsaking the tone of seriousness that permeates the entire book, even if it’s tinged with a wry sense of dry humor.

The Bad

It’s hard to tell who you’re supposed to root for in this book. Superman’s an arrogant jackass, Wonder Woman’s a raging, cranky warmonger, Locus typifies the “crazy, lovestruck female villain” in a way that borders on eye-rolling (the fact that she's a bottomlessly powerful 19-year old saves it), the Wonder Twins are manipulative and milquetoast as Terri and Terry respectively, and Batman’s preachy. Really it’s just Ariel and Green Lantern that are characters you can feel good about supporting. I get that part of this book is that the League has all their powers without their brilliant conscience to restrain them, but that makes the characters difficult to not only relate to, but want to see succeed. There’s a definite use of the trope of the team that doesn’t get along, but this book takes it to an incredible extreme, making the team actively hostile to one another in a way that makes their rubberbanding personalities difficult to track at times.

The Verdict

The characters still develop well, just not always consistently, and this book’s visuals are amazing. It stumbles sometimes in the writing, but that’s overall very solid as well and definitely worth looking into. One thing I can say about this story is that it is unlike anything else in the DCU and that alone, pulled off as well as this is, makes it worthy of checking out and following.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It’s hard to tell who you’re supposed to root for in this book.

Spot on. It’s really hard for me to like or care about anyone in this book.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ClawFist

The first issue really left me undecided, but the second issue won me over with it's humor and Locus' crazy abilities. So I think I'm onboard for this series. It's officially on my pull-list and everything. As for the who to root for... it is a bit difficult since we don't have a handle on the big picture that surrounds this new Justice League, but I find the Green Lantern so far to be the most sensible of the bunch and my favorite in this League.

Great review, I'm glad the quality of the book is climbing if nothing else. Super-Friends, that's great. Can't wait to pick this up.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard

I don't understand the hate for the fact that they arent goody two shoes. I like that they are reckless and jerks. The only problem I have with the book is the characters faces, kind of rough for my taste.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Exactly, well said, not everyone needs to be a boyscout all the time

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying this book. I also like that they are all jerks with huge egos.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i hope this book gets cancelled. it's awful and completely ruins these iconic characters.

the art has been pretty inconsistent (the first book was horrible) and the character designs themselves are ugly.

the demographic this book is targeted at must be quite young.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

loving this book!

also my guess for what they are is that they're normal people who were kidnapped by Cadmus and given the powers of the Justice League (most of them) and had their memories overwritten with whatever knowledge of the original League that they had

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By righteous300

@ips said:

i hope this book gets cancelled. it's awful and completely ruins these iconic characters.

the art has been pretty inconsistent (the first book was horrible) and the character designs themselves are ugly.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's awful.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ips said:

so you don't like it so it has to be cancelled?

and how is it completely ruining the characters when they aren't even the characters?

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll tell you one thing, this comic is sure fun to read.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ILLO_29

I'm on the fence on this one. I'm interested in the story and I'll keep reading on, but there was something in this issue that really annoyed me. Very early in the issue (maybe page 3 or so) the last panel on the page show WW and Batman looking off the panel in shock, it's a reveal panel (that reveal's something that I didn't find all the shocking to twisting). That's not the annoying part at the end of the book on the page before the reveal the that the planet is Earth the use almost the same picture with the same shocked faces just switched and pulled out. I mean come on it's not the 60's there are far better way to kick off a reveal page.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By consafo80

I'll pick this up tomorrow, so far I've been loving it. One of the few fun books DC are putting out.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that DC might be onto something with JL 3000. It'd be cool if they released more 3000 books. I'd pick them up.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So Issue 7, dude kills his sister. Biggest moment of the series. Series was so lame that I actually was startled that he went nuts (though I did think he looked pissed in the first pages, thought it was just the artist). Lame series, really does kill the symbolism that the heroes have portrayed the past decades.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: I really don't see anything likeable about this series aside from the character designs, and I'm not talking about their facial emotions. Batman outfit and GL cloak was the reason I purchased this, up to issue 7. I bet this is a lamer Earth 2, and Earth 2 got lame once Batman got introduced

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phocracker: yeah it has it's slow moments but after 7 it's start picking up a bit. I like it because it's away from the rest of the universe. No crossovers and all that. In an interview Keith Giffen said that we can expect to see a lot more happening after this arc. Old villains from the past being created into the future. But if you think it's lame then oh well.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Haven't got past Issue 7 yet, the big thing for me was the death of the female twin