John Cassaday Announces He's Leaving STAR WARS

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Today on his Facebook page, John Cassaday, artist for the current STAR WARS book at Marvel, announced he was leaving the book but gave readers a look at how his cover art comes together. Originally reported by CBR, Cassaday posted this:

Here's a couple of the images:

With this being the first issue, I needed to show the cast but didn’t want to go the movie poster montage route (of course, there’d be time for that later). There was a lot to fit in, so I went with what reminds me a lot of the publicity shots the cast did, especially for the first two films. Action poses from all, sort of backed into a corner and essentially contained to the space of an 8X10 glossy… Maximum impact in a small space...
With this being the first issue, I needed to show the cast but didn’t want to go the movie poster montage route (of course, there’d be time for that later). There was a lot to fit in, so I went with what reminds me a lot of the publicity shots the cast did, especially for the first two films. Action poses from all, sort of backed into a corner and essentially contained to the space of an 8X10 glossy… Maximum impact in a small space...
And what’s a Star Wars first issue cover without star fighters? So X-Wings and TIE fighters made their way in. Notice I initially had a set of Vader style TIE fighters in the center, but our friends at Lucasfilm balked at having more than one (there was a fleet constructed, in my mind), so I scrapped them in favor of more standard issue ships...
And what’s a Star Wars first issue cover without star fighters? So X-Wings and TIE fighters made their way in. Notice I initially had a set of Vader style TIE fighters in the center, but our friends at Lucasfilm balked at having more than one (there was a fleet constructed, in my mind), so I scrapped them in favor of more standard issue ships...

Make sure to check out Cassaday's page to see how the rest of the cover came together. Issue #6 is Cassaday's last issue on STAR WARS. Issues #1-3 are currently on sale.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

That's cool, I thought his art was wrong for that book anyways

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Whoever they get to replace Cassaday, I hope they keep the colorist. Laura Martin has been doing a great job.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I kind of figured this was already assumed by everyone. Cassaday has never been one to draw fast enough to keep up a monthly schedule. I'm currently not reading any of the Star Wars books, but from what I've seen, he's done an excellent job.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

:(

He was a huge factor of me buying this series...hopefully the new artist is sufficient or I may drop the title!

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I knew it was coming but thats a real shame. His art was great on the book. I really hope they get a similar artist. IMO these books based on movies should have a more realistic look to them. The Princess Leia look pretty bad for that reason, at least from what Ive seen in the previews.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, no one expected Cassaday to stick around.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew this was coming. Cassaday is a great artist but I have to say, I'm really sick of artists (and Writers for that matter) who can't keep up a monthly schedule. IMO Marvel/DC should stop using these guys except for mini series/Events. Bottomline: I'd rather my comics have consistency with a somewhat less known or talented artist, than these 3 month stints by Joe Mad or Cassaday.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cassaday may be slow, but his art is rewarding, for me that's all that matters. Planetary is awesome because of his art and Ellis' great story, I can't imagine Planetary without him.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParaChomp

I don't mind him leaving. His art might not have been bad but I never liked the renditions of the characters in any of Marvel's current Star Wars series as they always slum into the Uncanny Valley. Regardless, I'm glad he gave a reason for his leave.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

That's a shame. Hope the next artist has the same enthusiasm he did when he was given a chance to draw for Star Wars

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, I hope he's replaced by another artist who is good at capturing the look of the characters.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dotwilson

not a surprise here... i pretty much enjoy his art as much whenever hes on a book. I'll always love his Astonishing X-Men. I also didnt realize that was Vaders head on the cover of Star Wars until just now.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

His art has been top notch but I think knowing that Cassaday tends to leave projects early on makes this an easier pill to swallow. I hope Marvel gets someone great to replace him because he'll be a tough act to follow.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was fast! I don't know what his reasoning is, but if I got a chance to draw a high-profile book like this, I'd try my darnedest to stick around. Since he drew 24 Astonishing X-Men issues and a big special after that (fantastic series, I might add), I kind of thought he'd be drawing Star Wars for a bit longer. Oh, well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woah, what a suprise....

;)

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Good. Cassaday isn't a great artist in my mind and he never sticks to projects.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked his art. Hope they find someone just as good.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i want someone with stylized art not photogenic art.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Cassaday art, but he's really better suited to mini's or something as far as his schedule goes.

Whoever they get to replace Cassaday, I hope they keep the colorist. Laura Martin has been doing a great job.

Laura Martin is a FANTASTIC colorist. I've loved her work for a long time, and it would keep at least a general sense of continuity in style from one artist to the next if they retain the same colorist.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

He was a huge factor of me buying this series...hopefully the new artist is sufficient or I may drop the title!

couldn't have put it better myself

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey can anybody please tell me whether or not these comics are canon? Thanks! Im thinking whether or not id like to read them

Wardog2alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamburjer: They are cannon, all star wars content from this point on will be considered cannon. That includes: The Original Trilogy, The New Trilogy, The Clone Wars TV show, Rebels TV show and all future TV shows, Video Games, Comics, Novels, short stories and Movies created after march, 31 2015.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel always puts a top artist on a big project for the launch then after the first story arc they pull a switch-a-roo ...this is a normal marvel stunt .....it probably took cassady 9 months to draw 6 issues but if the first 2 issues are any indication they were worth it...anyway 6 issues ..perfect for a trade paperback ...and im sure the trade will be a top seller ...im sure another top artist will come on for six issues and the next trade

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's too bad. I hope the next person they get will be good.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am really glad he's leaving. His artwork is terrible and it hurts my eyes when I look at it.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

noone should be suprised. This is the Marvel model anyways, get a top notch artist to start a book, then pull a switch a few issues in.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

May The Force Be With You, John.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ren_ said:

I love Cassaday art, but he's really better suited to mini's or something as far as his schedule goes.

@battle_forum_junkie said:

Laura Martin is a FANTASTIC colorist. I've loved her work for a long time, and it would keep at least a general sense of continuity in style from one artist to the next if they retain the same colorist.

Hopefully that will be the case. It's a shame that colorists don't get more recognition.