• 52 results
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does he has said or act in some way to show this?, i mean i stop reading Jason after the fact i notice DC isnt letting he be himself.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Most of it comes from pre-Flashpoint, when he came back as Red Hood. He didn't exactly have a lot of romances with members of the opposite sex, there was Talia for like a second. There were some instances where he would interact with male characters in a way that could be interpreted as flirting, he had a big fascination with the male members of the Batfamily that was kinda awkward at times. Judd Winwick was asked about Jason's sexuality and he tried to avoid the question and fandom interpreted that as "well he didn't say no so...." Now do these make him bisexual, no, but someone can interpret pre-Flashpoint Jason as a switch-hitter.

One of the designs made the Red Hood helmet looked like...
One of the designs made the Red Hood helmet looked like...

Now in the new 52, it's much harder to make that case that Jason is bisexual because he does flirt with female characters in a cocky manner, he did have a girlfriend in Isabelle, him and Essence were close, he coupled with Talia briefly, and we know he has a long-time crush on Barbara. There are very few if any instances where he interacts with a male character that make you go hmmmm...... So until something comes up to tell us otherwise, new 52 Jason is straight.

How many double entendres did I throw in there?

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@deathpoolthet1000: Pretty much, it's a confirmation bias, if you believe that Jason Todd was bisexual pre-Flashpoint, you could probably find instances that could help prove your point. I remember @fadetoblackbolt made a post interpreting a lot of Jason's actions as those that stem from homosexual tendencies and there was some to merit it. However, like many people who believe Jason was/is bisexual, their beliefs stem from individual interpretation rather than from facts.

In canon, in both continuities, there is no concrete evidence that Jason was homosexual or bisexual.

cornflakepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cornflakepizza

In canon, in both continuities, there is no prima facie evidence that Jason was homosexual or bisexual.

I would disagree with that pretty strongly. There are a number of instances of Jason outright hitting on men and implying a bisexual orientation. The main ones come from various issues written by Judd Winick, but they are scattered throughout:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Those are just a handful of the panels that lead people to think Jason is bisexual. Honestly, I don't really know how you can dispute it when he straight up hits on Bruce in the prison scene in B&R #23, transcending subtext into just, well, text. But I digress.

(There's also the interpretation that Jason may have resorted to sex work as a child, based on issues from Green Arrow volume 3, Battle for the Cowl, and Red Hood: The Lost Days, but that's debatable and certainly not evidence of a consensual sexual orientation.)

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In canon, in both continuities, there is no concrete evidence that Jason was homosexual or bisexual.

I would disagree with that pretty strongly. There are a number of instances of Jason outright hitting on men and implying a bisexual orientation. The main ones come from various issues written by Judd Winick, but they are scattered throughout:

Those are just a handful of the panels that lead people to think Jason is bisexual. Honestly, I don't really know how you can dispute it when he straight up hits on Bruce in the prison scene in B&R #23, transcending subtext into just, well, text. But I digress.

(There's also the interpretation that Jason may have resorted to sex work as a child, based on issues from Green Arrow volume 3, Battle for the Cowl, and Red Hood: The Lost Days, but that's debatable and certainly not evidence of a consensual sexual orientation.)

When I'm talking about evidence, I'm referring to evidence that proves his bisexuality, not implies. So, if he were to outright say he was bisexual, or we would see him have romantic encounters with other men, that would be what I'm talking about.

With regards to those scans (which I think you got from a tumblr post), I saw those scans before I posted my first comment on this thread so I know they exist and they played into my commentary. That's why I said:

There were some instances where he would interact with male characters in a way that could be interpreted as flirting, he had a big fascination with the male members of the Batfamily that was kinda awkward at times.

and this

Pretty much, it's a confirmation bias, if you believe that Jason Todd was bisexual pre-Flashpoint, you could probably find instances that could help prove your point.

So I never disputed the idea that there were scans out there that people could use to imply Jason's bisexuality. But interpreting an interaction as flirting is not concrete evidence that he is bisexual because you can just as easily imply that he's just messing around with them because Jason has always had a gaudy sense of humor. Basically, I'm saying that you could find scans to imply but not to prove his bisexuality.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornflakepizza: @youknowwhattodo: I know straight guys who make homerotic "flirts"/jokes either due to their sense of humour or as a way of purposely annoying someone who'd be uncomfortable with it. With Jason this could be either way, especially with Batman as Jason tends to antagonise him and Bruce is known for being awkward when it comes to anything sexual (nevermind if it's homerotic)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By daredevil21134
cornflakepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cornflakepizza

@youknowwhattodo -- If this were any other female character, I doubt you'd be sitting here trying to explain away the dozens of examples of Jason flirting with or straight up hitting on men. If Ivy, Selina, Harley, Roxy Rocket, etc. smirked up at Bruce and said "you look good. And I don't just mean because you were dead," I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be trying to claim that they harbor zero sexual attraction to Bruce and are solely trying to antagonize him.

(By the way, the scans were all personally screencapped and uploaded by me. I have no idea why you mentioned that, but if it's an issue of trying to suss out who's a ~real~ fan and who isn't, that's not so nice.)

@maccyd -- Exactly how many instances of Jason hitting on men would it take to convince you that he might, I don't know, also maybe have an attraction to more than one gender?

While I agree that Jason uses the flirtiness to rile up his opponents (and I never claimed otherwise), I don't see how that cancels out the idea that he's interested in men.

And just given Jason's hatred of homophobic slurs as Robin and Winick's closeness to the LGBTQ community as an ally, I'm fairly certain Jason wouldn't simply fall back on homophobia in order to tease his friends, family, and opponents. It's not in line with his or Winick's morals.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

No one does. It stems from the fact that a writer (I forget which one) planned on making his anger a result of repressed homosexuality. This was scrapped so he is quite hetero

cornflakepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By youknowwhattodo
@cornflakepizza said:

@youknowwhattodo -- If this were any other female character, I doubt you'd be sitting here trying to explain away the dozens of examples of Jason flirting with or straight up hitting on men. If Ivy, Selina, Harley, Roxy Rocket, etc. smirked up at Bruce and said "you look good. And I don't just mean because you were dead," I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be trying to claim that they harbor zero sexual attraction to Bruce and are solely trying to antagonize him.

(By the way, the scans were all personally screencapped and uploaded by me. I have no idea why you mentioned that, but if it's an issue of trying to suss out who's a ~real~ fan and who isn't, that's not so nice.)

I'll begin by addressing the last post because of its ridiculousness, no, the point of me mentioning that I've seen those particular scans is to illustrate that when I formed my opinion on Jason's sexuality pre-new 52, that I took into account those panels. It was not to suss out who is a real fan of Jason or not because I'm not that type of person to label others as "real" or "fake" fans. I don't feel as though I need to stoop to that level to prove my points.

It seems as though my point has completely gone over your head. I said that you could find scans out there that imply that Jason Todd in the pre-new 52 was bisexual but you could not find scans out there to prove that Jason Todd was bisexual in the pre-new 52. We never saw him have a romantic interaction with a male character that can be clearly seen as a romantic interation (in other words not implied) and we never heard him say that he actually is attracted to men (whereas Ivy, Selina and Harley did have romantic interactions with male characters). The reason why people can say that Jason Todd in those panels was just messing around with Bruce and the rest is because we have actual proof that Jason Todd loved antagonizing other people (in particular the Batfamily) with his sardonic sense of humor. They have a much easier time proving their point of view than you do because all of your evidence is based on pure speculation, in particular speculation that is prone to a confirmation bias.

I never canceled out the idea that Jason Todd could have been bisexual in the pre-new 52, just from my interpretation of the character, I don't believe that he was bisexual.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@daredevil21134: exactly. Nightwing says similar quips all the time, and he never gets called bisexual.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: exactly. Nightwing says similar quips all the time, and he never gets called bisexual.

I guess Dick must be hot for Amazo since he said his heat vision was cute.*roll eyes*

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@allstarsuperman said:

Dick Grayson does, in fact for the first 3-4 decades of his existence, many people thought he was gay. Even to this day some people believe that, especially on social media where it's practically the "in" thing for tumblr users to create any-sexual-orientation-other-than-heterosexuality headcanons for heterosexual characters. Case in point, cornflakepizza, the user who tried to make the case for Jason being bi on this thread spends their time on tumblr creating slash-headcanons for the Batfamily, some more disturbing than others.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

Dick Grayson does, in fact for the first 3-4 decades of his existence, many people thought he was gay. Even to this day some people believe that, especially on social media where it's practically the "in" thing for tumblr users to create any-sexual-orientation-other-than-heterosexuality headcanons for heterosexual characters. Case in point, cornflakepizza, the user who tried to make the case for Jason being bi on this thread spends their time on tumblr creating slash-headcanons for the Batfamily, some more disturbing than others.

Tumbr is prejudice towards hetersexuals.I refuse to read any headcanons from Tumblr regarding Tim,Jason or Dick.Dick has slept with so many women and I see some people ship him Damian,it's disgusting.How Jason's fatherly love for Bruce gets mistaken for romantic feeling is stupid.The kid was rescued by Bruce wnen he was at a really bad time is his life of course he's gonna deeply love him and lash out at him when he feels neglected or hurt.Bruce gave him a family, put clothes on his back,gave him a mansion and a purpose.Bruce even told Cassandra Cain at his grave that Jason was always into women along with ice cream and the color green.Jason has never showed any romantic ineterest in men.It's silly how he trolls Kyle Rayner by saying he's dreamy and that's evidence that he likes men.He's never showed any desire of the same sex.He has slept with Talia,he has shown jealousy of for Donna Troy,he did have a female love interest when he was Robin,he flirted with the woman that Nightwing had during Brother's in Blood,(Chyene Freemont) though that was mainly to piss off Dick.The Bat boys can slept with the entire female roster of the DCU and they'd to be called gay or bisexuals.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this obsession that people have with wanting the Bat family to have suppressed homosexual feelings.

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: No one really knows, but it's just a pain to deal with everyday.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@mrtummytumms said:

What is this obsession that people have with wanting the Bat family to have suppressed homosexual feelings.

It's one of the stereotypes of the social media fandom (in particular tumblr) to have fans twist the sexuality of as many characters into "not-straight" as they can. The number of Batfamily queer headcanons are small compared to those of Supernatural, Sherlock, Dr. Who, Korra, MCU and One Direction. Anyone who has looked up the MCU on these sites knows what I'm referring to when I use the term "Stony". It's annoying but after awhile you just ignore/laugh at them.

I will give the Arrow fandom credit because they are too busy obsessing over Olicity that they don't have enough energy to make a lot of queer headcanons for Oliver and Roy.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he did have a female love interest when he was Robin,

This was actually the pre crisis Jason, who is a completely different character (and had more and better story lines than the post crisis Jason).

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Even so it proves that he had always been strictly into girls no matter what versiin he was.I think I remember him asking Wonder Woman if she had a sister because he was so fascinated with her beauty

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: It was Wonder Girl not Wonder Woman. And technically this happend pre crisis but before his origin was changed so it is not realy clear which Jason was in this book ;)

But if you are looking other versions of Jason, the Jason from the alternate "A World without Young Justice" time line (who was a strange mix of post and pre crisis Jason), had a relationship with the alternate version of Empress (and was killed by her in the end).

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Yeah,I'm fuzzy on his history with him as Robin but you get what I'm saying.Mostly all his incarnattions have shown him to be interested in the opposite sex.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: The problem is that there are storys where it is not really clear if it is pre or post crisis Jason. Technically Crisis ended in March 1986. And while the Teen Titans started afaik directly in the new continuity the first Batman comic published in the pre crisis continuity were officially Batman #401 and Detective Comic #568 published in November 1986. And Jasons new origin was published in Batman #408 in June 1987. So for every appearance of Jason published between November 1986 and June 1987, you nigther really have pre or post crisis Jason .

The comic where Jason flirts with Donna, was iiirc New Teen Titans Vol. 2 #20 or #21 published in April and may 1986, so during a time where the Teen Titans were allready in the post crisis and the Batman comics were still in the old continuity.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daredevil21134

@aahz said:

@daredevil21134: The problem is that there are storys where it is not really clear if it is pre or post crisis Jason. Technically Crisis ended in March 1986. And while the Teen Titans started afaik directly in the new continuity the first Batman comic published in the pre crisis continuity were officially Batman #401 and Detective Comic #568 published in November 1986. And Jasons new origin was published in Batman #408 in June 1987. So for every appearance of Jason published between November 1986 and June 1987, you nigther really have pre or post crisis Jason .

The comic where Jason flirts with Donna, was iiirc New Teen Titans Vol. 2 #20 or #21 published in April and may 1986, so during a time where the Teen Titans were allready in the post crisis and the Batman comics were still in the old continuity.

True,confusing inded

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I always figured that Jason's homosexual centered comments were just him being a smart aleck

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always figured that Jason's homosexual centered comments were just him being a smart aleck

Because it is.Sites like Tumblr just can't deal with the notion that not every male character likes men.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@daredevil21134: Exactly! Some people just want to go places with characters that they just shouldn't go. No offense to future homosexual characters though, I'm talking about people who think that Joker and Batman should get it on and stuff like that

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They shoulda made him gay instead of iceman it fits him better and him and batman are clear booty bandits

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Exactly! Some people just want to go places with characters that they just shouldn't go

When I found out that people pair Tony Stark and Steve Rogers as an item I stopped caring what most fans think.Fans will find the most innocent things ro soothe their outlandish fantasies.

Slick_Tracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slick_Tracy

People just want him to be bi, because he's got such a bland and inconsistent characterization otherwise. He's not a notable character like Dick, Barbara, pre-N52 Tim, Damian, Stephanie, or Cass because he's never had a competent writer.

--Essence--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bruce actually said that jason likes women when he was at jasons grave for his 18th birthday, after hush. he said to Cass something like that jason liked fast cars, women, the color green and most of all being robin

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rosenovel

Its heavily hinted that Jason Todd is bisexual both pre52 and new 52. Looking at redhood/arsenal #13 I'm honestly starting to believe that Jason Todd is intended to be bisexual.

I would prefer it if he was officially bisexual especially because they were willing to heavily hint it.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpentShrimp

@rosenovel: I think you're getting some mixed signals. They're bros. And bros act that way. I think Nightwing on the other hand, is really being hinted as being bi.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe some chick-flick moments with the people of the same sex are normal from time to time. He will always be hetero for me even if they would confirm his possible bisexuality. I don't mind it though.

sleepygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spentshrimp: I thought they had a joined bank account. that's a bit past 'bro'

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sleepygirl: If it's money from a job, they probably have an account for their business.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same. I know straight guys who make smack comments like that all the time. It's more of a sarcastic degrading than making homosexual advances.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Because guy on guy is hot. ;)

No Caption Provided

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only people that go on Tumblr will would mistake Jason's smart mouth with him being bisexual.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only people that go on Tumblr will would mistake Jason's smart mouth with him being bisexual.

Yes. I am almost convinced some people who frequent Tumblr too much don't understand how average people interact in real life.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know if we wasn't straight, DC would be singing it from the rooftops. The big two publishers love to get those headlines by appealing to P.C sensibilities. Remember when they made Alan Scott gay? Hell, they even made a big deal out of one of Batgirl's side characters being trans.

So, since DC has not made a giant hoopla about it, he must he hetero.

But, I'm not opposed to the idea. It would give him another dimension other than being the angry Robin who got killed. And Jason isn't like Tim and Dick who have deeply established and beloved pairings with female characters.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: On your last point; Jason really hasn't had the publication time those two have had to establish a deep relationship.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if those people have even read the stories, where the scans a re coming from. It in all cases the guys are Jasons opponents or other wise people Jason doesn't like. And in one case it is even a guy Jason is about to kill.

And Countdown imo more implied that Jason and Kyle both were attracted to Donna and couldn't stand each other.

And I don't get why the sceen with Tim should imply that he is bi.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I wonder if those people have even read the stories, where the scans a re coming from. It in all cases the guys are Jasons opponents or other wise people Jason doesn't like. And in one case it is even a guy Jason is about to kill.

And Countdown imo more implied that Jason and Kyle both were attracted to Donna and couldn't stand each other.

And I don't get why the sceen with Tim should imply that he is bi.

Exactly. It's just tumblr trying to read into something that isn't there. They tried this on r/DCComics the other day too. It was a horrible argument for him being bi. They tried using some Judd Winick quote.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lelanka

Don't hate me guys. I'm on tumblr often, well just looking for new fan-arts (some are really amazing!). I don't really like how tumblr and its fans work, it's very annoying sometimes and how they ship/clash everything is even worse.

I think Jason is able to normally say if someone is attractive whether it's a man or a woman, but that's all. Or he's a bit like Deadpool and flirts with both only to make them uncomfortable or annoyed. I think he's a normal hetero guy. And I almost forgot to add that's he's a total cocky bastard and that alone speaks for all these rumors.

DrawingGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornflakepizza: Just looking at those strips its obivious HE LIKE DICK AND PUSSY

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. He's straight!