What DC's Reboot Means For Jason

TheRedC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheRedC

So it's been announced that in a few months DC is going to reboot their comics. I was wondering what this means for Jason. Will they keep Red Hood/Arsenal, will they give him a new solo series, or will he be used as a side character that pops up in other series. I wanted to know what you all think will happen or what you hope will happen because of this reboot.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Hopefully they get a better writer for him.

TheRedC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: Yeah at the very least they need to get rid of Lobdell, cause he's just terrible and it's gotten to the point where I don't wanna read my favorite character's own comic.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I just hope they dont go back to having SBP punching him back to life cause that was just stupid

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theredc: That is pretty much how I felt when he was writing Superboy. At least Jason is still salvageable.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

He should go back to being an Anti-Hero/Villain who's not on good terms with the Bat Family.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully they get a better writer for him.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

He should go back to being an Anti-Hero/Villain who's not on good terms with the Bat Family.

Definitely. He should go back to being mentally deranged.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman

@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:

I wouldn't go that far personally.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:

I mean, I don't want him to become a raging lunatic. I just want him to be a bit more emotionally traumatized and unstable than he is now.

He's too "cool" for a kid who the Joker beat to death.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where was it confirmed that rebirth would be a reboot?

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is not a reboot. Is just a rebranding like Marvel's periodical relaunches.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Lots of bullshit here.

Jason should lose Lobdell, he was good for a bit, but Lobdell has obviously run out of ideas. He should stay friends with Roy.

He needs to distance himself from the batfamily, but he's certainly not their enemy.

His story's need to be darker from here on out, 5 years of light hearted stuff has gotten annoying.

If you want a deranged Jason, go read Daniels and Morrisons abomination, that's not who Jason really is.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:
@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:

I mean, I don't want him to become a raging lunatic. I just want him to be a bit more emotionally traumatized and unstable than he is now.

No, they should finally move away from Jason being the one who was killed by the Joker and doing something else with the character. Damian and Dicks death were far more recent and they are not even a little bit traumatized by it, so why should Jason stay traumatized for ever?

They should go back to more serious and darker tone, but they should Jason really finally overcome his trauma.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dernman

@aahz said:
@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:
@jonez120 said:
@dernman said:

No, they should finally move away from Jason being the one who was killed by the Joker and doing something else with the character. Damian and Dicks death were far more recent and they are not even a little bit traumatized by it, so why should Jason stay traumatized for ever?

They should go back to more serious and darker tone, but they should Jason really finally overcome his trauma.

Their deaths not affecting them that is just bad writing. DIck I can understand because it was just seconds so can not even seam real but Damian should have at least shown something. Then again though I've learned to love the little shit most of what goes on with that character is unbelievable. Also the deaths and return had different circumstances but more importantly they are different people. Not everyone acts the same. To say his alignment change is just because of trauma really is oversimplifying why he ended up the way he did. There was way more too it.

Again not saying I want him Arkham crazy but becoming a generally angry person, going on the fence of Anti-Hero and villain is not a bad thing for the character.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I could see him go back to the level he had in Lost Days or his guest appearance in Green Arrow or the Outsiders, but I don't want back to what we got in battle for the cowl and later.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@aahz: Damian was killed by Heretic whereas Jason was killed by the Joker. Since 9/10 writers are Joker fans they'll always use Jason as a prop in his dynamic with Batman. That's why he's struggling to escape his death. I think his association with the Joker CAN be given more of a positive twist that allows him to operate on his own while still being connected to the clown as Tomasi just showed in Genesis.

Red Hood/Red Robin by Scott Lobdell,does have a nice ring to it.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Damian was killed by Heretic whereas Jason was killed by the Joker. Since 9/10 writers are Joker fans they'll always use Jason as a prop in his dynamic with Batman. That's why he's struggling to escape his death. I think his association with the Joker CAN be given more of a positive twist that allows him to operate on his own while still being connected to the clown as Tomasi just showed in Genesis.

You could Damians death in the same way to prop up his dynamic with Talia, ...

And reading about a traumatized character isn't that great on the long run. Lobdell choice to go in to a different direction was imo the right one. But the writers from the Batman office also need to move on and finally find a better role for him in the cross overs and push him (and Tim) a little bit more, they need this at moment far more than Dick and Damian.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: The thing is that Jason's claim to fame is being killed by the Joker. That was who he was for two decades. That was his importance to the Bat mythos. Then Loeb came up with the idea of a resurrected Jason confronting Batman, an idea that Winick ran with, and eventually got right with the animated movie. And ever since then, no writer outside of Morrison has been able to do anything meaningful with the character. Even Lobdell, the so-called greatest Jason writer of all time, keeps defining Jason as the Robin who died, and even retconned his origin story to involve the Joker. And all of Lobdell's supposed development with Jason is relegated to exposition rather than being shown. It's hard to say that Jason has made peace with the Batfamily when he's still narrating about they make want to throw up. Hell, Kelly/Lanzing "showed" more character progression in their Eternal issues than Lobdell ever did.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aahz

@rurgandy said:

Hell, Kelly/Lanzing "showed" more character progression in their Eternal issues than Lobdell ever did.

Not really, in this story arc he was basically just Tims side kick, Jason being confronted with the Joker was also already done in several variations and I don't really had the feeling that they got his character or his voice right.

If Jason ends up with an other writer after rebirth, I hope that he doesn't write him like in the Eternals and the other Batman cross overs.

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

@entropy_aegis: The thing is that Jason's claim to fame is being killed by the Joker. That was who he was for two decades. That was his importance to the Bat mythos. Then Loeb came up with the idea of a resurrected Jason confronting Batman, an idea that Winick ran with, and eventually got right with the animated movie. And ever since then, no writer outside of Morrison has been able to do anything meaningful with the character. Even Lobdell, the so-called greatest Jason writer of all time, keeps defining Jason as the Robin who died, and even retconned his origin story to involve the Joker. And all of Lobdell's supposed development with Jason is relegated to exposition rather than being shown. It's hard to say that Jason has made peace with the Batfamily when he's still narrating about they make want to throw up. Hell, Kelly/Lanzing "showed" more character progression in their Eternal issues than Lobdell ever did.

Jajaja, no.

Lobdell's Jason is not defined by his death, is defined by what he lived through after his resurrection. That is, his instruction with the All-Caste and posterior bonding with the Outlaws. The supposed involvement of the Joker is meaningless since is something told by the Joker and frankly, anyone who takes his words at face value is missing the whole point of his character.

Jason's development is not told via exposition but through the actions he has taken through the whole series. The Jason that rescued Roy in RHATO #1 is a very different character to the one that did the same on RH/A #1, and no, Jason hasn't made peace with the Batfamily, he has made peace with Bruce and Tim. The only one that Jason cares about. He's more mature and acknowledges Dick's skills but he is not fond of the guy while he hasn't had a lot of time with Damian to have an opinion about the kid.

Kelly and Lanzing jus did AGAIN retread stuff that Lobdell had dealt with for years now, the bonding with Tim has been done better on RHATO's issues 8 and RHA/A 7, his standing with Dick was dealt with in RHATO 17 while issue 18 dealt with his past with the Joker.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lobdell isn't subtle. He can't show even show action without explaining to the reader what's going on, or having characters exposit to each other.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rurgandy said:

Yeah I was stunned it took them this long to address all that. Even Tomasi in his AK Annual had those plot points addressed so that he could move on with his story,it's basic story telling. What I dislike is that all these supposedly great Jason writers like Winick and Lobdell are hell bent on creating their own character in Jason Todd instead of going with the established character and the end result is obviously a new character who looks at what other Robins did some time ago and does it himself to show that he's totally as cool and relevant.

@aahz said:
@entropy_aegis said:

You could Damians death in the same way to prop up his dynamic with Talia, ...

And reading about a traumatized character isn't that great on the long run. Lobdell choice to go in to a different direction was imo the right one. But the writers from the Batman office also need to move on and finally find a better role for him in the cross overs and push him (and Tim) a little bit more, they need this at moment far more than Dick and Damian.

Except not all writers look at Talia like she's a fiend. Gleason just buried Morrison era Talia in SOB so they wont be using Damian's death as a prop or at least not in a way that the character becomes secondary to the event.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

Jajaja, no.

Lobdell's Jason is not defined by his death, is defined by what he lived through after his resurrection. That is, his instruction with the All-Caste and posterior bonding with the Outlaws. The supposed involvement of the Joker is meaningless since is something told by the Joker and frankly, anyone who takes his words at face value is missing the whole point of his character.

Jason's development is not told via exposition but through the actions he has taken through the whole series. The Jason that rescued Roy in RHATO #1 is a very different character to the one that did the same on RH/A #1, and no, Jason hasn't made peace with the Batfamily, he has made peace with Bruce and Tim. The only one that Jason cares about. He's more mature and acknowledges Dick's skills but he is not fond of the guy while he hasn't had a lot of time with Damian to have an opinion about the kid.

Kelly and Lanzing jus did AGAIN retread stuff that Lobdell had dealt with for years now, the bonding with Tim has been done better on RHATO's issues 8 and RHA/A 7, his standing with Dick was dealt with in RHATO 17 while issue 18 dealt with his past with the Joker.

A reboot where Joker set up Jason Todd's entire life specifically so that he could become Robin and then killed him just to hurt Batman it far from meaningless lol that's probably one of the most masterful things that they've ever had the Joker do and is completely in-character for his relationship with Batman. That entire event is huge.

That being said it may or may not matter for Jason at this point, since Jason was still just one more tool in that case for Joker to use to hurt Batman. Jason himself had no say and isn't even aware of it to begin with.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@joshmightbe: The superboy prime punch has always been what brought Jason back, Lobdell kept that canon, he just wasnt able to directly say "Superboy Prime punched the paradise wall".

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

New writer. More feats. More badass. More brutal. Darker.

I'd love to see him become a mentor for a short time for Red X, from the teen titans tv show. and maybe lead the suicide squad for a short time

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New writer. More feats. More badass. More brutal. Darker.

I'd love to see him become a mentor for a short time for Red X, from the teen titans tv show. and maybe lead the suicide squad for a short time

Ohhh, both of those ideas soubd really cool!