#1 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people seem to say Iron Man. However, Iron Man 2 might actually have become my favorite. People always dismiss it but for me it seems to grow on me more and more with each viewing. Not to mention Iron Man 2 has moments like this:

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 1 is the better movie simply on a critical level. It's got a superior plot, flow, dialogue, and it was the first real representation of a lesser-known comic character.

Iron Man 2 is more fun though :)

#3 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I like them both about the same. They are both awesome movies.

#4 Posted by noj (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is the FAR superior movie. It was a much tighter experience with a great hero and great story. Iron Man 2 is by far the biggest Marvel cinematic universe dissapointment. That doesnt mean its necessarily a bad film but its all over the place with far too many things going and barely any of the subplots given enough time for proper development.

Think about it there was the subplot with Tony dying and trying to come up with a cure, the subplot with Tony dealing with his mortality and his downwards spiral, Tonys issues with Pepper, the subplot with Tony dealing with his daddy issues, the subplot with the military trying to get ahold of a suit, the subplot with Hammer, the subplot with Whiplash, the whole SHEILD subplot with Black Widow and Nick Fury setting up the Avengers Initiative, Rhodys issues with Tony, and all the stuff going on with the Stark Expo. Sure alot of these subplots eventually converge such as the Hammer and Whiplash subplots and Rhodys issues with Tony leading to the aquisition of an Iron Man suit for the Military but its all just way too much going on for one movie with its limited runtime.

Heck looking at it now they couldve easily split it into two movies with a rewrite having Tony deal with his illness, daddy issues, and downward spiral with Whiplash as the villain in one movie; and having Tony deal with the militarys attempted aquisition of a suit, SHEILD and the Avengers setup, while having Hammer as the villain in another movie

It may look like a hate the movie but I actually quite like it. I just wish it had lived up to the amazingness of the first movie.

#5 Posted by FearTheLiving (2810 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Iron Man as both a movie and the start of a beautiful movement with MCU. I do really like IM2 as well and I'm not sure why it gets the reputation it does, around here. Then again I've quite enjoyed all of the MCU movies which also get tons of flack from the crowd here.

All I know is I'm really looking forward to IM3.

#6 Edited by Eternelle (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Iron Man 1 is the better movie simply on a critical level. It's got a superior plot, flow, dialogue, and it was the first real representation of a lesser-known comic character.

Iron Man 2 is more fun though :)

Hmmm.

I definitely agree with this. For me, I enjoyed Iron Man 2 more (just seeing Pepper come into her own a little more and I'm the site's self-declared biggest Black Widow fan). Black Widow made that movie for me, but I'm clearly biased.

From a critical standpoint though, you're right. And the landmark movie that it was in breaking ground for comic book movies (that weren't Batman or Superman) was amazing in and of itself.

#7 Posted by Rorie (856 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty firmly in the Iron Man 1 camp, although I did enjoy Scarlett in IM2. I'm pretty hopeful that Iron Man 3 incorporates the Extremis storyline, though. That'd be neat.

Staff
#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@gadai

Yeah, Iron Man 1 also arguably kick-started the entire MCU. If it hadn't done as well as it did, who knows, we might never have got Captain America or the Avengers. But Iron Man 2 just has so many awesome scenes that make it more bombastic - the suitcase armor, the Iron Man/War Machine fight, the final confrontation with all of Whiplash's armors. Too cool.

#10 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Iron Man as both a movie and the start of a beautiful movement with MCU. I do really like IM2 as well and I'm not sure why it gets the reputation it does, around here. Then again I've quite enjoyed all of the MCU movies which also get tons of flack from the crowd here.

All I know is I'm really looking forward to IM3.

Here here!

#11 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Thank you sir, My sentiments exactly! I agree whole-heartedly.

#12 Posted by ComicStooge (12397 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

Iron Man is the FAR superior movie. It was a much tighter experience with a great hero and great story. Iron Man 2 is by far the biggest Marvel cinematic universe dissapointment. That doesnt mean its necessarily a bad film but its all over the place with far too many things going and barely any of the subplots given enough time for proper development.

Think about it there was the subplot with Tony dying and trying to come up with a cure, the subplot with Tony dealing with his mortality and his downwards spiral, Tonys issues with Pepper, the subplot with Tony dealing with his daddy issues, the subplot with the military trying to get ahold of a suit, the subplot with Hammer, the subplot with Whiplash, the whole SHEILD subplot with Black Widow and Nick Fury setting up the Avengers Initiative, Rhodys issues with Tony, and all the stuff going on with the Stark Expo. Sure alot of these subplots eventually converge such as the Hammer and Whiplash subplots and Rhodys issues with Tony leading to the aquisition of an Iron Man suit for the Military but its all just way too much going on for one movie with its limited runtime.

Heck looking at it now they couldve easily split it into two movies with a rewrite having Tony deal with his illness, daddy issues, and downward spiral with Whiplash as the villain in one movie; and having Tony deal with the militarys attempted aquisition of a suit, SHEILD and the Avengers setup, while having Hammer as the villain in another movie

It may look like a hate the movie but I actually quite like it. I just wish it had lived up to the amazingness of the first movie.

Just wait until you see Iron Man 3.

#13 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man. Iron Man 2 was fun, but a lot less focused. Iron Man 2 cared more about the Avengers than it does about Iron Man himself, IMO. Also, Whiplash is arguably the coolest part of that movie, well cast and fabulously acted, but he was harshly under utilized.

#14 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: it's been getting some great early reviews. I don't want to know much more than that atm though. Want to go into that movie as fresh and untainted as possible

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is better, except the last 25 minutes or so really destroy the movie and drag it from an A to a C+

#16 Posted by ComicStooge (12397 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@comicstooge: it's been getting some great early reviews. I don't want to know much more than that atm though. Want to go into that movie as fresh and untainted as possible

Fair enough.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is a better movie.It's one of my favorite comic book movies of all time while Iron Man 2 disappointed me.

#18 Posted by ruisu1221 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends..I preferred Iron Man..but Iron Man 2 really shown alot of Tony's Legacy

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (38737 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 2 has Sam Rockwell. That = immediate victory.

But really, Iron Man's a superior film, but I won't judge ya if you enjoy Iron Man 2 more.

Staff
#20 Posted by Black_Claw (2957 posts) - - Show Bio

The first one. The second one was just nothing more than an extended commercial for the avengers.

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

But really, Iron Man's a superior film, but I won't judge ya if you enjoy Iron Man 2 more.

This is a good point.

And he dances. Win.

#22 Posted by SUNMAN (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman 1 by far.

Ironman 2 was kind of fluffy. Hammer was funny, and it was cool seeing War Machine, Black Widow and Nick Fury

outside of that Ironman 2, was lacking. We got a quick little robot death fight at the end, but the overall story was kind of weak. Just felt like it was setting up for the Avengers movie. Not as much as Thor, but still

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (38737 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

This is a good point.

And he dances. Win.

Totally. I believe the scene was called "Hammer Time."

I REGRET NOTHING.

Staff
#24 Edited by k4tzm4n (38737 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#25 Posted by Teerack (5714 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they were more or less equal.

#26 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@k4tzm4n said:

This is a good point.

And he dances. Win.

Totally. I believe the scene was called "Hammer Time."

I REGRET NOTHING.

Anything that has a Sam Rockwell dancing scene is Oscar worthy, yes even Charlie's Angels.

#27 Edited by logy5000 (5709 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 1 had better plot, better dialogue, and less Tony/Pepper drama.

Iron Man 2 had some good action in it though.

#28 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man :

Dramatic entrance, better plot, the 1st superhero movie that made me bought my Blu-Ray.

Iron Man 2:

Epic Action scene, convincing plot, larger view on Avengers.

Overall:

Iron Man - this is the epic start for Iron Man, Jon Favreau made it works on the silver screen.

#29 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought both films were fantastic even though it took me a few times to better appreciate Iron Man 2!

#30 Posted by Noone301994 (4142 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 2