What's so good about invincible?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I keep hearing great things and I plan on reading it soon but I want to know what you folks think is so good about it. Does it have themes like frank miller, Morrison and moore? Or is it just a good super hero comic?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

It's got a great sense of humor, especially in regards to superhero comics. The book knows how to find a healthy balance of action, humor, and drama. The art is fantastic. It's plotted very well to the point that seeds for stories can end up being planted 20 issues in advance. The huge Kirkmanverse of characters are fun, diverse, and very interesting. And the fights are wickedly brutal, some of the best action I've ever read in comics.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree:

So it's just a fun, well written super hero book. I can dig that.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

@pperspectiveandreality: Yep. But it also knows how to have depth. It's definitely not as existential and thought provoking as a Moore or Morrison work, though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

...everything.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

My favorite thing about Invincible is a pretty mundane one. But I love how its self contained. No crossovers, no events and dead/back from the dead/dead again gimmicks. Just great superhero storytelling.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any other opinions?

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By M3th

I haven't read the series. I came to read comments and see what is the big deal with Invincible. It sounds like epic fun.

However, one post reminded me of something I wonder about.

Why is Morrison (Grant) viewed as this phenomenal writer? I have read some of his work anf found it more lackluster than anything.

Maybe if I didn't have such Huge expectations, I would have enjoyed his work more.

I find him mediocre due to the hype. I think Kirkman, Waid, Remender, and hell even Slott are better writers.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th:

I felt the same way a while back but I decides to give his writing an honest second shot so I read his work and researched stuff like metaphysics and chaps magik and then you really appreciate his work for what it is. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of Morrison's assertions and themes but I can appreciate the level of intellect applied in his writing. For example, Final Crisis, is likely my favorite comic ever because of the theme behind it. Another thing about Morrison is that you need to be a detective of sorts to really appreciate his stuff. You may like All Star Superman now, but after you discover some of the hidden knowledge in it you'll love it.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sacredweapons

He got raped. And when the savior is not safe no one is

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He got raped. And when the savior is not safe no one is

You should point out that it was by a woman. He wasn't prison-raped, a woman overpowered and someone had normal sex with him against his will. It technically was rape but when you hear a guy was raped, you generally think of a prison-rape type deal. Just thought I'd clarify a little.

This is the best series there is. If I could only buy 1 series, this would be the one. It truly is the only superhero book you need. It is full of action, humor, violence, and drama. Plus, a great overall story. It is a 112 issue (thus far, I know 115 was solicited, but I'm only speaking of issues released) story arc. It has the same fantastic writer with the same universe, as was said, no crossovers, if they die, they're dead. A lot of trouble with Marvel and DC books is they get a writer for 20 issues and they switch so you get a totally different story and feel and it feels completely convoluted. Invincible has had the same writer (and it's his property, so it won't switch) the whole time, only 2 artists (both great) and Ryan Ottley is over 100 issues now. It is a fantastic book and you should drop all your Marvel and DC books (except Detective Comics, Buccelatto and Manapul are doing great there) and switch to Image. Invincible is the only superhero book you need.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TrustNoOne22

It's like Watchmen, if it were serious about pure comicbook conventions being play straight instead of a deconstruction but its still realistic as all hell and completely dark and edgy.

It's like Spider-Man for grown ups and X-Men for walking dead fans.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Omni-Man