k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Issues like this one remind me why I think Tom Taylor is such a terrific writer. Opinions have been mixed on INJUSTICE: YEAR TWO's events -- and I'd say understandably so -- but this chapter reminds us why this digital series is so special.

Taylor brings Harley Quinn back into the picture and, if you've read her previous appearances in this alternate universe, you know this is something worth getting excited about. Luckily for us, it's every bit as charming and funny as it should be. His take on Quinn is consistently goofy and fun, but she's never so ridiculous that we can't take the character seriously, either. You can see beneath the surface and tell she's damaged and she's using humor to cope. You can tell there's so much more depth to the character and, in this issue, he brings that right into the spotlight. Now, the writer most certainly keeps us laughing with sharp banter and visual comedy, but Taylor makes sure it's an emotional experience, as well. It's not something that'll make you hold back the tears, but it's an engaging dialogue and the exchange had me 100% immersed in this fictional world. Despite her zany actions, Quinn's conversation with Black Canary felt like an organic and sincere heart to heart. It's great stuff. One moment you're laughing out loud, and then you find yourself completely locked on a more serious conversation. These two elements are juggled well and neither one overshadows the other. Lastly, this wouldn't be an issue of INJUSTICE without a good cliffhanger and this one absolutely ends on a note that'll have you excited to see where it leads.

What good is an impressive script without a talented art team, right? Luckily for Taylor, the visual team behind this issue knows how to deliver the goods. Bruno Redondo's pencils, Julien Hugonnard-Bert's inks, and Rex Lokus' colors all do a spectacular job filling Harley Quinn and Black Canary with so much energy and emotion. There's so many great expressions and postures to behold as these two go from a silly fight to a more important chat. Many of the panel layouts do an excellent job selling the punch lines, too. I can't help but laugh at Quinn doing her impression of "future Black Canary" or feel so much empathy as a tear rolls down her face.

The Bad

Look, we all know Black Canary doesn't wear the most conservative outfit around, but there's a double-page spread which seems to blatantly focus on her, well, let's just say "lower half." I don't consider myself prude, but it felt a little like an unnecessary perspective. I get what they're going for with that angle and it's not their fault she isn't exactly fond of pants while fighting crime, but the same kind of shot would have been equally effective if if the angle was slightly altered. For example, if her boot or fist was in the foreground. It's not a big deal and doesn't impact the overall score, but it stood out to me and I felt like it was worth at least mentioning. Another minor gripe: the ending feels a bit abrupt. Yes, these digital comics are short, but you can breeze through this one because 13 of the pages have 3 or fewer panels. Again, it's no biggie, but when a comic is this good, you can't really blame the reader for wanting more!

The Verdict

INJUSTICE: YEAR TWO has its moments of levity (a Guardian being creepy is unforgettable), but overall, it's taking a more serious approach as it focuses on buildup and Superman's actions as a dictator. However, this issue feels like a return to the hilarious issues writer Tom Taylor presented in the alternate universe's first year. Sure, that first volume is full of tragedy and oozes darkness, but there were plenty of good and memorable laughs sprinkled in the mix, too. And this latest issue? It's packed with hilarity as Taylor brings Harley Quinn back into the spotlight. Not only does he make her seriously wacky and lovable, but he manages to humanize her, too. It's not quite enough to get the waterworks going, but she has a legitimately touching moment with Black Canary and the dialogue keeps one heck of a grip on our attention. And, thanks to the talented art team, we can fully appreciate each and every emotion these two experience. INJUSTICE: YEAR TWO #13 is full of heart, great comedy, and makes sure we're left wanting more.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This comic isn't even worth 99 cents anymore. Jesus.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This issue is the only one I didn't like. Harley seem to sane

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

"The Quiver" is such a better name, seriously.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Killemall

This was just far too short a read.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@killemall: I would have gotten a full issue of just these two talking about this

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hehe i still like The Arrow Cave :p

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I don't read injustice, but I played the game.... Didn't Black Cannery die?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, a good issue

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By COBRAMORPH

@the_stegman said:

I always thought Mia Dearden should have called herself Quiver once she grew out of being Speedy2. Or Pink-Arrow, I dunno. But TBH they both sound kinda humoriously sexual.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dondave

@teerack The series takes place before the game

BlaneStroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed this issue. It didn't do much for the plot overall (at least from what I can tell), but it was just a really fun, awesome read. Not really getting the complaints about it being too short. It felt just as long as other issues to me. I've enjoyed Year Two overall. The slow buildup has been a nice change of pace from the shock value stuff of Year One. I like both approaches.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Why can't Harley's own series write her this well?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man it's gonna suck when black canary dies.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@dondave said:

But I thought she died in the explosion that killed Lois that made Superman go crazy. Is this before even Superman goes crazy?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@dondave said:

But I thought she died in the explosion that killed Lois that made Superman go crazy. Is this before even Superman goes crazy?

Plothole!

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was surprisingly good

Txman210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The issue was solid as normal. Although all the jokes about pregnancy and the massive reveal that harley was once pregnant really annoyed me. Are we suddenly supposed to feel sorry for harley? Considering that she and joker pushed superman into killing his own wife and child and then it pretty much led to all the trouble their in now. I would of expected Black Canary to be a bit more harsh since it was pretty much their fault that Ollie died. The fact that she couldn't even sympathise with superman but could sympathise with a rampant murdering psychopath made me want to spit.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A questão era sólido como normal. Apesar de todas as piadas sobre a gravidez eo maciço revelam que harley era uma vez grávida realmente me incomodou. Estamos de repente deveria sentir pena de harley? Considerando-se que ela e empurrou coringa super-homem a matar a sua própria mulher e da criança e, em seguida, praticamente levou a todos os problemas que a sua agora. Gostaria de esperar Canário Negro para ser um pouco mais dura, uma vez que era muito bonita, culpa deles que Ollie morreu. O fato de que ela não poderia mesmo simpatizar com super-homem, mas poderia simpatizar com um psicopata assassina desenfreada me fez querer cuspir.

frank_malone21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved this issue, I had never read one issue of the series but the cover got me curious. And aside from the interaction between Harley and Canary (which I found funny and moving) the art and colors of this issue just blew my mind. The humor and emotions were illustrated so well I could actually feel Harley's excitement and pain. I look forward to the next issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.