k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Holy buildup, Batman! INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE #6 isn't about over-the-top conflicts or intense battles. It's all about foreshadowing and, by the time you're done with this chapter, you're really going to want to see what happens next. This issue makes us expect big things and anticipate thrilling developments in the future, so it'll be very disappointing if the intensity doesn't pick up in the next few chapters. It doesn't subtly hint who'll appear; it throws the information right in your face in hopes of getting you ridiculously excited. Now it's just a matter of seeing if these events will be worth the buildup. Tragically, we don't receive an update on Detective Chimp's condition. But if Harley Quinn's looking after him, that means he'll totally bounce back, right?

Before we're struck by a ginormous dose of foreshadowing, writer Tom Taylor mostly uses the story to give us a little more insight into John Constantine. There's a laugh or two along the way (the handling of the sign was great), but this is all about getting a good, focused look at Constantine's psyche. We've already seen him interact with Batman, but where does he really stand on this conflict and what does he think he'll bring to it? It's really there to illustrate he isn't as noble as the Dark Knight... or at least he doesn't think so.

As for the art (pencils by Bruno Redondo, finishes by Xermanico, inks by Juan Albarran, and colors by Rex Lokus), the character work's consistent and the bright shades of purple, blue and pink tend to leave the strongest impression. There's a clever layout showing Batman and Constantine talking with Madame Xanadu through a door, but overall, it's a relatively calm set of pages when compared to the usual variety of settings and effects we see in this series. However, the double spread does a more than satisfying job complimenting the gripping dialogue. I'm really hoping Redondo illustrates an issue with Swamp Thing because he made the character look quite awesome.

The Bad

I understand Taylor wants to give us a better handle on Constantine's character, but it seems like Constantine's blatantly overshadowing Batman and dictating the dialogue. "Dude, doesn't Batman get enough attention?" Completely true, but if he's teaming-up with Constantine, you'd expect him to speak up a little more. Yes, he's somewhat out of his element, but the guy's still a genius and very knowledgeable of the DC universe. It just seems a bit odd to have him act so passive.

As said above, this chapter is all about building excitement for what's to come. That's obviously not a "bad" thing, but making us look forward prevents this one from really leaving an impact or becoming one of the more memorable chapters.

The Verdict

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US is known for its shock value and jaw-dropping developments, but this one is all about teasing YEAR THREE's future. If you're a fan of the mystical side of DC's universe, there's a double splash page in here that is sure to make you stick around. And, if you're wondering where a certain injured character has been, well, let's just say their return is pretty blatantly teased. There's even another big teaser in there; one which has me scratching my head. Could it just be a nod to what happens several years down the road or is Tom Taylor going to hit us with a huge surprise? Only time shall tell and I'm absolutely going to stick around to see how it all plays out. You'd think a weekly series would begin to lose steam in its third volume, but INJUSTICE is still great. This chapter may not have big action or big laughs, but it does a more than satisfying job building up the hype for what's to come.

Oh, and Constantine is right. Tea does fix everything. Drink your tea, kids.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bet if Superman had just drank some chamomile tea in year one, everything would've been okay.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm feeling really bad about Constantine in all of this. He's going to bite the big one sooner or later.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So harley was strong enough to take down lobo because of the pill, but a chimp hurt her hand? Does that mean the pills wear off?

also is the Spectre normally swayed like that? He seemed to be bossed around easily, and wouldn't he just kill Sinestro outright

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I see you noticed that too? Spectre is an as*hole.

Avatar image for thebattlecalculatot
    TheBattleCalculatot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bet if Superman had just drank some chamomile tea in year one, everything would've been okay.

No Caption Provided

HahahaTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the pill wears off.... gordon is seen eating it several times in year two....

this is what i think about the prophecy though (i dunno much about the magic-side of dc so i'll probably be very wrong):

The green will grow (Swamp Thing)

Hellfire will burn (Trigon rising)

A dead man will fall and a dead man will rise (I'm guessing Deadman will die, pun intended, but i don't know about the rising)

Souls will be lost and traitors triumphant (Someone in Bat's group is gonna die and Catwoman will betray them)

The Empress awakens. The Emperor sleeps. (I got two meanings for this one. It's either WW wakes up and Superman temporarily falls and loses the Sinestro ring. Or it has something to do with Raven's red skin in the game)

The advisor banished (Now I'm thinking this has something to do with Aquaman's advisor, remember Martian Manhunter's ending?)

The Joker returns (Zombie Joker? or is it the Joker from the other Earth?)

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Outside_85

On the subject of Constantine overshadowing Batman. Well I would say that atleast Batman still managed to be in the picture. It's just that the two seem to have overshadowed everyone else.

While I know covers ad solicitations aren't things to be trusted, it just kinda seems that Tom gave DC the headlines to make those posts and then found out he had great fun writing Con Job and Bats that he wandered off the intended path so he could do more of it. I was really looking forwards to know how Raven got bubushwhaked 3 weeks ago, but I got a meeting. I was interested in knowing where WW has gone, but I got some meadering around the Tower of Fate. And by the sound of it... I am not going to see Swamp Thing in this issue either when I get around to it.

It's fine that certain characters carry the book... but come on, there are more than those two around.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is specter working for superman????

and im saying it again, but i wish this wasnt connected to the game, i do not like knowing how this going to end. I mean we already know how joker is coming back.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't it just be great if "the Joke returns" is referring to Joker's Daughter? :P

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rubear

@superior_prime_maybe said:

Brutal punishment, god's wrath, ordnung and etc. Killing of Jokers, ending of wars, changing of world for some seeming Greater Good - that's to Specter's liking, no? Just read some Ветхий Завет... Old Covenant, he-he, and you will understand why.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: have they explained it in comic yet? i think i missed an issue

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rubear

Well, that's just my ideas based on knowledge of who Specter is. Specter himself don't give a hell about some puny human rights and freedoms. It is his host who provide restrains. Imagine situation when their is no host (Day of Vengeance is example) or host has no reastrains too. And in Old Covenant their's much illustrations of God's Wrath, inculding immolation of Sodom and Gomorra (nuke-like immolation) and plagues of Egypt. Unrestrained Specter can do almost everithing and assistance of "lesser evil in battle with old and hateful chaos" is very probable reason.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Yes, Spectre spoke with Superman in chapter 5.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hahahatimes: "the advisor banish" I think that means Sinestro

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
    TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see it as Batman still be shaken by his loss in the second year, he has lost confidence and with the addition of the mystical he is letting Constantine do the leg work while he watches and puts everything together in that giant brain of his. I also took the part about an adviser being banished as either Sinestro or Hal falling out with Supes, don't know the game endings as I don't play games.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

Brutal punishment, god's wrath, ordnung and etc. Killing of Jokers, ending of wars, changing of world for some seeming Greater Good - that's to Specter's liking, no? Just read some Ветхий Завет... Old Covenant, he-he, and you will understand why.

yeah but he's outright working for him lol. I figured he does what he wants when he wants to. Superman told him to stop doing something, and he listened? In some comics he is a force of nature, in this one he is a genie waiting to due bidding. I guess they had to depower him some how or the whole thing would have ended in one page

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying year 3 so far! Much better than Year 2...

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why I think about Hugh Jackman when I see this cover…

HahahaTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: cant be though.... sinestro is still around in the game... unless it has another meaning......

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Having read it now, I am a bit interested in the wording of what Xanadu saw about the 'Emperor' and the 'Empress'. On one hand it could mean Diana waking up and finding Superman gone (brought low by magic). But that last page, could also imply that the Emperor is Trigon and that he turns a blind eye to some things while Raven gets loose.

@holyserpent: cant be though.... sinestro is still around in the game... unless it has another meaning......

Well 'banishment' doesn't mean death. But that said, it could be anyone supporting either Batman or Superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.