k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Beginning with your look at the cover (which is by Neil Googe and Rex Lokus), writer Tom Taylor is setting up a great joke -- one which will completely defy your expectations and make you want to see where it'll go next. To say anything else would potentially ruin the fun, so I'll just leave it at that and move on to what else makes this debut chapter worthy of your attention. The Injustice story has been a mostly serious, intense, and foreboding ride and understandably so. It's an unpleasant place for these heroes and villains and occasionally someone like Harley Quinn, Guy Gardner, or Green Arrow will help lighten the mood. However, none of those characters are really considered the franchise's big leads. Sure, they get their moments to shine or have chapters dedicated to them every now and then, but they're not leading the narrative. With YEAR THREE, it looks like John Constantine will be our primary lead, and that's pretty exciting. In Taylor's hand, he's a lovable character who tells it like it is and does so in a delightfully entertaining manner. However, the enjoyable banter doesn't take away from the franchise's serious atmosphere -- it just makes it more engaging. Even though he's dropping smile-inducing insults and what not, an emotional connection is established right away, so there's some depth with his actions. It's not just laughs for the sake of laughs.

In case you weren't paying attention, a giant deathmatch between characters who could level cities just went down. Instead of simply moving forward, Taylor finds a way to work in an organic connection to this battle's aftermath and gives us a different perspective of it. While we were up there watching these characters fire energy blasts and what have you, onlookers were suffering as debris and bodies came violently crashing down. It's a fitting way to begin Constantine's story and, as stated above, does a fine job giving us an emotional connection to the guy. It's just the right amount of darkness to remind us how messed up this world has become.

Whether it's a look at the toll a superpowered battle takes on a populated city or a charming smirk, Bruno Redondo, Xermanico and colorist J. Nanjan give us an immersive look which manages to hit just the right tone for each scene. The characters are lively, the effects are eye-catching, and the attention given to the locations is commendable. As for the layouts, aside from one minor gripe aside (see below), the experience is paced well and they do a terrific job handling the final reveal.

The Bad

This first issue does a great job building interest in the road ahead with teasers and what not, but as much as I enjoyed it, nothing really bumped it to a 5-star level for me (although, I imagine big fans of the mystical side of the DCU will beg to differ!). There's an amusing cliffhanger and it's a well-written journey, but nothing here really dropped my jaw or blew me away. Don't get me wrong, it's a thoroughly entertaining ride (you saw the 4-stars above, yes?), but it definitely feels like it's focused on buildup and rightfully so.

Minor gripe: the door sequence could have been cut shorter. I get why it's extended like that and the payoff is good, but given the limited amount of space these chapters have, I'd rather have more room for dialogue between the cast.

The Verdict

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US is known for it's spectacle and shock value, but YEAR THREE brings a more uplifting and enjoyable note. Sure, there's some bleak reflection on the massive battle, how much it impacted the world, and teasing a new threat, but Constantine's a lead that feels like a perfect for the witty writer. The character's sharp and straightforward, making him a likable and often entertaining lead. In an alternate timeline with so much death, darkness, and depressing material, following Constantine's side of the story will feel like a whole new look at this story. Here's hoping he continues to earn much of the spotlight as more and more characters are brought into the picture.

YEAR ONE was a chaotic ride that was full of twists and turns. YEAR TWO gave us time to let all of those big events sink in and offered some character-driven chapters before hitting us with over-the-top action. YEAR THREE? It's looking like it'll be a big ol' dose of fun, and that's something that'll bring this book in a refreshing direction.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

First

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will be picking up

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Constantine and Batman on the same team...my God...

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MultipleMan

i gotta get back to reading this, would be cool to see Constantine in the next game.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By micah007123

Well brute force has failed multiple times, so hopefully the finesse, and misdirection of magic can help end Superman's reign (or at least loosen his grip on the world).

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love this title, can't wait to read this

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr Fate should have taken care of Superman by himself

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8  Edited By Outside_85

I have a pretty good hunch who is going to work as a main antagonist in Year Three.

@dondave said:

Dr Fate should have taken care of Superman by himself

Well, if you've read the first or second issue of Taylor's Earth-2, you'll sadly know how a fight like that would go.
Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Constantine on the cover, this is going to be pretty interesting. I really hope he gets treated right.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh thank god i dont have to wait forever for Year three

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love the cover.Superman you have done it now.They have gone for Constantine you are about to be dead.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blackice709

i'll start reading injustice starting with this issue i guessssssssssssss

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Year Three already ?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That last page... man, what a waste of character.

baddog1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only bad part about this series is that I know how the story is going to end.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That door part drove me nuts. One or two panels would've been enough. It's the kind of thing that's okay in a full-length comic, but given how short these are it's excessive.

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That end scene was funny if not predictable.Seriously anyone familiar with DC mystic side knew who John was talking about.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RexWing
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

It says a lot about DC that their two best books are Injustice and Earth 2 and are not in their main universe.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

It says a lot about DC that their two best books are Injustice and Earth 2 and are not in their main universe.

Wait what?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Wait what?

He doesn't like Batman or Wonder Woman.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teerack
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Soo... why do you say the best books are Injustice and Earth-2? :)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teerack
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: hmm... disagree. Earth-2 under Taylor is to me a study in contempt for any character that doesn't wear an S or a Bat on it's chest. Injustice otoh hand just seems like long-winded process of elimination to explain why the game didn't have any more characters in it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: hmm... disagree. Earth-2 under Taylor is to me a study in contempt for any character that doesn't wear an S or a Bat on it's chest. Injustice otoh hand just seems like long-winded process of elimination to explain why the game didn't have any more characters in it.

The way I see them is they're two books outside of the main universe so aren't they plagued by the toxic editor staff at DC, and the writer is just able to tell a good story without someone whispering mandated into their ears. /shrug

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Outside_85

@teerack: Even if that's how it might feel, remember that James Robinson pretty loudly left the book and the company because someone was tampering with Earth-2 and now Worlds End is looming... I think Earth-2 now pretty heavily editorially guided towards a goal.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Teerack

@outside_85: I did fall behind in Earth 2. Not sure what became of it. When I look at Futures End and the way it's being handled combined with how there could be some kind of "Crisis" coming out of a Superman spin off book Superman: Doomed. It kind of gives me horrible flash backs to Count Down to Final Crisis and how it was nearly impossible to understand and follow without having an encyclopedic knowledge of DC Comics. Some things are really good like Batman and Wonder Woman because they've had one solid direction with one team on them for the most part, but then you look at the Superman series as a whole and it makes me sad.

I have kind of lost fate in DC to manage a big universe panning over multiple books, but I really loved their more contained stuff.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@outside_85: Supes literally stomped him. you have to admit, though, that version of Fate was weaksauce.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teerack

I really wish they would say which Titans died back in the explosion in the beginning because I have really wanted to see Roy Harper show up in this series. I think with what happened to Green Arrow and Black Canary it is really wasted story potential that is wouldn't have any roll in this. Especially when pushed Harper is probably the most vindictive hero in DC.

The same with Red Hood, I have been crossing my fingers for Jason to show up since I think he would fit into this world really great.

DubyaNW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DubyaNW

@tensor said:

Love the cover.Superman you have done it now.They have gone for Constantine you are about to be dead.

Well considering we know Superman lives to year five and we are only in year three.......ah no Superman you are not dead.

DubyaNW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DubyaNW

The only thing I don't like about this book is that Batrman seems to be a terrible tactician. Canary should have had backup and a restraining device. And even if Superman didn't put on the ring the other yellow lanterns would have been fueled by the fear of streaming the video. and thats just the last few issues.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad Constantine's hair isn't like it is on the cover.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: The way they are apparently planning it out according to the shaky timeline of Future's End, Earth-2 will get itselt invaded again by Apokolips and die. GL will die with it and nearly everyone else will be rounded up for Cadmus experiments. Fate will also end up dead and Constantine replaces Nabu with something else residing in the helmet.

Which in my honest oppinion is a gross waste of potential.

@outside_85: Supes literally stomped him. you have to admit, though, that version of Fate was weaksauce.

No, that Fate had an interesting weakness, and still he did survive that round.

Avatar image for jeevanjacobjohn
Jeevanjacobjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: That is not exactly true. Ton of books that are way better than Injustice or Earth 2 (Swamp Thing, Batman, WW, Red Lanterns etc.).

Of course, it's all subjective anyways.You might want to give Futures end a try...it's turning out to be great, at least in my opinion.

Futures end one shots are a bit different. At this point, it's unclear if all of the books belong to a single future universe - more like they are multiple versions. There are a few titles that follow the continuity of FE main book.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Teerack
@outside_85 said:

@teerack: The way they are apparently planning it out according to the shaky timeline of Future's End, Earth-2 will get itselt invaded again by Apokolips and die. GL will die with it and nearly everyone else will be rounded up for Cadmus experiments. Fate will also end up dead and Constantine replaces Nabu with something else residing in the helmet.

Which in my honest oppinion is a gross waste of potential.

@jeevanjacobjohn said:

@teerack: That is not exactly true. Ton of books that are way better than Injustice or Earth 2 (Swamp Thing, Batman, WW, Red Lanterns etc.).

Of course, it's all subjective anyways.You might want to give Futures end a try...it's turning out to be great, at least in my opinion.

Futures end one shots are a bit different. At this point, it's unclear if all of the books belong to a single future universe - more like they are multiple versions. There are a few titles that follow the continuity of FE main book.

You both don't see how pretty much everything has been on hold to make Futures End work? I like Injustice and Earth 2 because people die and surprising things happen. Scott Snyder is one of the strongest writers in the entire industry and although Batman is very well written all I can see is how tied his hands must be when I compare it to his other comics. What do I mean by that well lets just look at Batman for a second...

• Court of Owls - No consequences what so ever.
  • Death of the Family - No consequences other then the sides kicks being mad at Batman
  • Year One - Flash back Inconsequential.

Nothing happened of any really last significance to Batman other then what happened in Forever Evil so to me that really just says that nothing will really happen outside of major DC events.. I'm sorry but that's not good to me. There was Damian's death but honestly the way it was handled made it feel more like a gimmick and it only effected the main Batman book for like one issue.

/shrug

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So constantine is gonna take a fight to superman for exposing his daughter?