Edited 5 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Who is Smarter ? Banner or Tony ? (22 votes)

Banner 86%
Tony 14%

After seeing this scene, i think we should vote it.

#1 Posted by Outside_85 (8016 posts) - - Show Bio

Banner seems to be the smarter, one of the eight smartest men in the world actually (and I am not sure Tony was actually in that mess with the Fall of the Hulks). His major problem when compared to Tony has been the past where Banner was just the puny human inside the Hulk, and never really got to flex his brainpower except on rare gamma-related occasions.

#2 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

Numerous rankings place Banner as the fourth smartest man in the Marvel Universe. Only Richards, Doom and Pym overshadow him in intellect. There's also an amusing scene in AvX where Tony is trying but failing to crack a computer virus, gets attacked by a Hulk buster which is one shotted by Hulk and then it turns out Banner made that virus which stumped Stark and Beast.

#3 Edited by Wolverine08 (38141 posts) - - Show Bio

Banner's 4th among human beings on Marvel Earth, Tony's 5th.

#4 Edited by Wolverine08 (38141 posts) - - Show Bio

I might also add in that Indestructible Hulk scene is quite amusing. The Lienel Yu art helps as well.

#5 Edited by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been a lot of scenes in which Banner is said to be the 3rd smartest guy in Marvel and there also scenes in which Tony is put on the third place right after Reed and Doom which is pure bs.In my opinion Banner is smarter than Tony and that will always be a fact.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: Hank's usually ranked third due to creating Ultron, being considered the godfather of artificial intelligence and creating Pym Particles which enable him to traverse into the microverse or even other dimensions. Plus he outprepped Reed Richards at one point so that's a notch in his belt. Even in Pak's run, I think Reed, Doom and Hank were incapacitated by what the Intelligensia had unleashed which left Banner as the smartest person on the planet.

#7 Posted by Fifthchild (585 posts) - - Show Bio

Theres been a bit of jostling around in this area in the past few years what with Pak having his "8 smartest people on the planet" thing and a number of different writers pushing different chracters:

• Hickman pushed Richards as being definitively the smartest in his FF run (the pro-Registration side would apparently have achieved lasting peace if Richards hadnt been saddled with lesser minds like Stark).
  • Slott tried to give Pym a push - coming up with the kinda ridiculous "Scientist Supreme" title for Hank which has pretty quickly been forgotten...
  • Gillen has said in interviews and dropped a few hints a little more obliquely in his book that he sees Stark as the smartest.
  • Pak gave Banner a push which he hadnt really had for ages and since the Avengers where Whedon really showcased the "super scientist" view of Banner others have been running with it. Especially Waid. As shown above he seems to see Banner as being at least a peer of Stark's and kind of implies he has an edge on him.

At any rate Stark probably edges Banner based on sheer volume of continuity but the modern, rather shifty, status quo seems to have Banner and Stark as peers and both half a step behind Reed at his best.

#8 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7093 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony by quantity.

#9 Posted by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I know that Hank is supposed to be the third smartest person on Marvel Earth but the thing is there are times in which writers like Bendis are writing something and are trying to indicate that Tony is smarter than Hank and that puts him on the third place which is really untrue because he isn't fourth.But of course that is bad writing and what else can you expect from Bendis.

#10 Posted by RedHotRebellion (16 posts) - - Show Bio

"Smart" is a loaded term. Raw intelligence or creativity can be definitions of smart. But generally, I think Bruce Banner is more intelligent than Tony Stark. But Stark might be more creative. Reed Richards, however, has them both beat.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: True but you're right, what can you expect from an inconsistent writer from Bendis? He had Wolverine give Iron Fist a tough time in a H2H fight with no claws or chi yet Squirrel Girl stomped him straight afterwards. WTF man?

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (38141 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997: True but you're right, what can you expect from an inconsistent writer from Bendis? He had Wolverine give Iron Fist a tough time in a H2H fight with no claws or chi yet Squirrel Girl stomped him straight afterwards. WTF man?

I would actually consider that the fault of the stupidity around Squirrel Girl's character. She's beaten up both Thanos and Doctor Doom now like they are fodder. The whole point of her character is to beat up people who are out of her league. It honestly stopped being funny a while ago..........

#13 Edited by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

I would actually consider that the fault of the stupidity around Squirrel Girl's character. She's beaten up both Thanos and Doctor Doom now like they are fodder. The whole point of her character is to beat up people who are out of her league. It honestly stopped being funny a while ago..........

I guess there is that aspect to Squirrel Girl's character but still for someone with no H2H feats to beat a centuries year old martial artist does defy even comic book logic no? :P

#14 Posted by Wolverine08 (38141 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

@lvenger said:

I guess there is that aspect to Squirrel Girl's character but still for someone with no H2H feats to beat a centuries year old martial artist does defy even comic book logic no? :P

When Squirrel Girl is around, logic holds no power! Even DOOM falls before her!

#15 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

@lvenger said:

When Squirrel Girl is around, logic holds no power! Even DOOM falls before her!

Even the totally original and not a clone or jobbing Thanos stands no chance against the might of Squirrel Girl!

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (38141 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Come to think of it, that moment really makes me wonder why Squirrel Girl didn't just show up and one shot Thanos during Infinity. LOL!

#17 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Evidently an even greater crisis must have caught her attention. Galactus was probably about to eat some squirrel populated planet :P

#18 Posted by dorukesin (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

Banner

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Bendis has a really big track record of stuff like that but if you look at it with the logic of Bendis then it all makes sense since Squirrel Girl has a pretty good history with battles against opponents who are way past her league.

#20 Posted by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Bendis has a really big track record of stuff like that but if you look at it with the logic of Bendis then it all makes sense since Squirrel Girl has a pretty good history with battles against opponents who are way past her league.

#21 Posted by seekquaze (606 posts) - - Show Bio

How are you defining intelligence here? Pure IQ points? Number of fields one is an expert in? Creativity? Pure mathematical computation power? Amadeus Cho can do quick math better than anyone named here thanks to his brain being a hypermind, but he is usually ranked between 7-10. I think the Leader is the same way. Reed is usually ranked the smartest because he is an expert in every known field of science on a level nearly rivaling if not surpassing anyone else. Black Panther may not possess the raw intelligence of either of these two, but hasn't he worked better with magic than them in the past? Stark is usually agreed to be better a better engineer and businessman than Banner while Banner is better at things involving radiation.

I think the majority of sources place Reed and Doom as the most intelligent. Stark, Banner, and Pym vary on whether Pym is having a good day and who is getting pushed at the moment.

#22 Posted by GhostRavage (8257 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze:

How are you defining intelligence here? Pure IQ points? Number of fields one is an expert in? Creativity? Pure mathematical computation power? Amadeus Cho can do quick math better than anyone named here thanks to his brain being a hypermind, but he is usually ranked between 7-10.

Im positive Banner exceeds Tony in all those fields. And Amadeus Cho already confirmed Hulk's brain works just like him, commonly assumed to be because of Banner's subconscious. To strengthen this point, Banner actually mentioned he doesn't "have accidents" because of it later on in Pak's Run...

Black Panther may not possess the raw intelligence of either of these two, but hasn't he worked better with magic than them in the past? Stark is usually agreed to be better a better engineer and businessman than Banner while Banner is better at things involving radiation.

Starks toys fall short to what Banner has actually done with literally days of development... He's been able to master Baxter tech within seconds as well as outsmarting Tony in several ways. Banner Tech has proven to be immensely deadlier and more advanced than Stark's tech. And Reed Richards has already admitted Banner is by far the most knowledgeable person in the Nuclear Field, and that without him he couldn't even fathom to come up with a decent counter for Hulk, say, the Anti-Gamma Rays.

The rest i guess is OK, and it's quite hard to determine who's the smartest when most of them are seemingly brilliant in a particular area. As far as i know, Banner has proven to be the deadliest among them along with Reed and Doom. Pym on the other hand showed his abilities of creation and theoretical exploring/application through devices as seen by the Pym Particles capable of reaching the microverse and nigh-omnipotent beings dimensions as well as developing what would be forwardly cataloged as a lvl 9 threat avengers's villain, Ultron.

#23 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17158 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really sure, both have their moments of absolute brilliance so it's a but hard to define and understand who is smarter. In terms of Radiation and nuclear energies there is no one more qualified than Banner, that's a fact, whereas tony is a much better mechanic who can construct a lot of devices. Banner is also good with working with foreign material as it has been seen in the current indestructible Hulk series and Greg paks incredible Hulks run. I think in the recent days Banner is being shown to be slightly smarter than tony, I don't know it that's intentional or just the opinion of some writers. In the A+X Banner managed to outsmart both beast and tony at the same time by creating a virus/program even tony himself couldn't hack. If I had to put it in his words, I'd say tony got a good ass kicking.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17158 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostravage: Don't forget that he is completely of utilizing Gamma Radiation in millions of ways. Relatively speaking of course.

#25 Posted by GhostRavage (8257 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by seekquaze (606 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostravage: Honestly, I always found that claim a stretch even for comics. Pak produced some good Hulk stories, but towards the end of his run it felt like he became determined to showcase the Hulk as the best at everything and I didn't care much for it.

#27 Posted by GhostRavage (8257 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: Well, that's by far one of the best runs Hulk has apart from Peter David's... And at least it kept logical reasoning along the way by using past instances as reference for new instances. It was the best Hulk because it was the angriest, strongest one, as well as a somehow a Banner with twisted morals, totally different than the normal Banner you get that is always afraid and stuff.

It gets a 9/10 as far as the run goes. Epic finale as well.

#28 Posted by seekquaze (606 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostravage: I'm not a major Hulk fan so the end did not do much for me. Like I stated, it felt like Pak was trying in some ways Marvel's Superman. Opinions toward the end of his run tend to be more varied than early one. I think a lot of it is how one regards the Hulk.