• 115 results
#1 Posted by Bezza (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is one of my three favourite Marvel characters and has been since the 70s, but I accept that he has one major USP, brute strength. Unlike some characters, i.e. the Martian Manhunter, Silver Surfer etc, he doesn't have loads of different powers, so ultimately I guess there are going to be opponents where brute strength isn't enough. Who do you think the Hulk shouldn't be able to beat?

#2 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

MM and Superman for example.

#3 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Skyfathers and above are some Hulk should never be able to beat with his own power(only by getting amped by an outside source). Everything below that is fair game and Hulk should be able to take them down and vice versa.

#4 Edited by SC (13405 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I answer this question is to think of the greatest story teller thats ever lived. Don't know who that is, but picture them. Can they tell a story that involves the fictional character of Hulk beating any other fictional character and could that be a great story worthy of being told? Yeah, I think the best writer thats ever lived could. Hence Hulk could potentially beat anyone. Hence no one he shouldn't be able to beat if the story can make it work.

Naturally the same applies to any other fictional character as well and who they can beat (whether it be Garfield beating Hulk or Hulk beating Galactus)

#5 Edited by Pyrogram (41344 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Can't you just answer simply for once :P

For real though, it does depend on the writers. But if it's stupid, like Hulk beating Galactus, people complain (and rightly so).

#6 Posted by GreenScar1990 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone on Galactus level of power and above.

Everyone else is fair game.

Unless there is some kind of plot device/vastly powerful weapon/artifact involved.

#7 Posted by SC (13405 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: No, I would feel hypocritical if I didn't answer how I felt was true to myself. It would undermine my ability to sincerely tell others to post how they want to as well. Plus to me I always answer simply. ^_^.

Once upon a time Galactus was just a really powerful space alien, long before his origin was established and status as some semi abstract figure was written. If Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman wrote a story where Hulk beat Galactus I'd be more inclined to think they could go a good job to it than any random other person based simply on the idea. Naturally doesn't mean that all stories are automatically good, just as you say, depends.

#8 Edited by Pyrogram (41344 posts) - - Show Bio
@sc said:

Plus to me I always answer simply. ^_^.

That's actually a good point, lol

Once upon a time Galactus was just a really powerful space alien, long before his origin was established and status as some semi abstract figure was written. If Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman wrote a story where Hulk beat Galactus I'd be more inclined to think they could go a good job to it than any random other person based simply on the idea. Naturally doesn't mean that all stories are automatically good, just as you say, depends.

Hmm, I'd not say that. Well, no, it depends on how the story is written, if it's got a plot which seems believable I'd be content.

#9 Posted by Killemall (18607 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Marvel hasn't let Hulk beat people he shouldn't.

Characters like Maelstrom comes to mind when I think about characters Hulk can't beat.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj said:

I think Skyfathers and above are some Hulk should never be able to beat with his own power(only by getting amped by an outside source). Everything below that is fair game and Hulk should be able to take them down and vice versa.

#11 Posted by SOG7dc (8213 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor, Superman, Hyperion, Gladiator, WW, MMH, i could go on but you get the point

#12 Posted by dum529001 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk has no limits.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (26102 posts) - - Show Bio

1. High end cosmic beings like Silver Surfer

2. People much faster than him and equally as strong as him, i.e, Superman, Wonder Woman, Sentry

3. Thor

4. High end telepaths like Emma Frost, Charles Xavier etc.

5. Batman

Batman is a joke, don't bite my head off

#14 Edited by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone over Silver Surfer

#15 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

2. People much faster than him and equally as strong as him, i.e, Superman, Wonder Woman, Sentry

3. Thor

5. Batman

I crossed out the ones i disagree with.

I WOULD have crossed about bats, but then I remember he's batman, so I didn't :P

#16 Edited by The Stegman (26102 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

3. Thor

5. Batman

I WOULD have crossed about bats, but then I remember he's batman, so I didn't :P

The reason I say Thor is cause I don't think Hulk should be able to survive a serious god blast, and the reason I said telepaths is because nothing in Hulk's powerset should make him immune to havin' his mind messed with, the fact that writers do that is ridiculous, I don't care how "clouded with rage" his brain gets, Professor X should still be able to shut it down.

#17 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@the_stegman said:

3. Thor

5. Batman

The reason I say Thor is cause I don't think Hulk should be able to survive a serious god blast, and the reason I said telepaths is because nothing in Hulk's powerset should make him immune to havin' his mind messed with, the fact that writers do that is ridiculous, I don't care how "clouded with rage" his brain gets, Professor X should still be able to shut it down.

We technically, Hulk is meant to be unstoppable IN SOME specific cases, which explains why he can resist it. The fact that Prof X and chicks like frost can't get through hulks skull is already a feat, so there isn't much to discuss about that.

Thor and Hulk beat each other all the damn time so again, it's debatable. Hulk has done seriously ridiculous things, so I wouldn't rule out him resisting god blast.

#18 Posted by The Stegman (26102 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@theacidskull said:

@the_stegman said:

3. Thor

5. Batman

We technically, Hulk is meant to be unstoppable IN SOME specific cases, which explains why he can resist it. The fact that Prof X and chicks like frost can't get through hulks skull is already a feat, so there isn't much to discuss about that.

Thor and Hulk beat each other all the damn time so again, it's debatable. Hulk has done seriously ridiculous things, so I wouldn't rule out him resisting god blast.

I know his feats, but the title of the thread is "Is there anyone you FEEL Hulk shouldn't be able to beat" Hulk has no TP resistance, his power gives him ''unlimited" strength and durability, that's it, there should be no reason he can viably beat a half way decent telepath just cause he's the "strongest there is" As for Thor, yeah, I just don't see Hulk tanking a godblast.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@the_stegman said:

@theacidskull said:

@the_stegman said:

3. Thor

5. Batman

I know his feats, but the title of the thread is "Is there anyone you FEEL Hulk shouldn't be able to beat" Hulk has no TP resistance, his power gives him ''unlimited" strength and durability, that's it, there should be no reason he can viably beat a half way decent telepath just cause he's the "strongest there is" As for Thor, yeah, I just don't see Hulk tanking a godblast.

I see :).

#20 Posted by Black_Claw (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl

#21 Edited by Vegetto1990 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Since it says "anyone you feel" i would have to say anyone on the level of Silver surfer or higher, this includes all top tier herald of galactus, galactus himself, Thor, Martian manhunter, The sentry, Superman (late post crisis and stronger). Wonder woman if she's real serious from the start would give hulk a tough time but it can go either way. Zeus already gave hulk a terrible beaten before as well. I love hulk, he's very strong but those guys i mentioned has feats to easily put hulk down, the only way i see hulk winning those matches is by plot device as regards if one toys around in battle with him allowing hulk to continue to increase in strength when angered. And even then it would take a very long time for hulk to reach the strength of some of those people i mentioned.

#22 Edited by youmessinwithme (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor and the silver Surfer.

I don't even care if the Hulk's stronger or harder to hurt. But Thor would just point his hammer at him and banish him to the nether realms. (he can do that) and the Surfer would just fly him through time. neither of them would ever actually need to waist time getting in a fight with him.

also anyone with high level Superspeed. Gladiator can fly 1,000 times faster than light and react in a nanosecond.

Yet somehow the Hulk can box his ears before Gladiator can get him out of the atmosphere..... yeah right..... any character like that would just toss the Hulk into space in a nanosecond and the Hulk wouldn't even be able to think fast enough to even try to stop it. i

f you can move to fast for the Hulk to even see you and you also have planetary level Strength as well as flight super reaction speed, energy projection etc. it just doesn't make any sense. you'd literally have to be a joke to lose to the Hulk.

So essentially everyone who his power set wouldn't allow him to beat/everyone he only beats through PIS. however I also feel like he shouldn't be able to punch through the time stream being just a gamma mutant. but that's just me.

thread/

#23 Posted by Oscars94 (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor, Thanos, Odin , The Beyonder , Silver Surfer , Galactus.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

So many people saying Thor...

You guys can't even appreciate a good rivalry can you?

#25 Posted by thespideyguy (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

3. Thor

5. Batman

You beat me too the batman thing.

#26 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

So many people saying Thor...

You guys can't even appreciate a good rivalry can you?

There is a difference between people not being able to appreciate a good rivalry and people not WANTING to appreciate it. In this case it's the latter.

#27 Posted by Hazlenaut (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

Bunnies because Hulk likes bunnies. You said should't beat not can't beat.

#28 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@hazlenaut: He likes puppies even more, in fact it is his Kryptonite and it has reverted him back to Banner several times.

#29 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

There's tons of people. Superman, MM, Galactus, Thanos, Darkseid, Silver Surfer, Sentry, The Spectre, Charles Xavier, every Cosmic power being ever, every omnipotent thing ever, etc. Hundreds of people, really.

#30 Edited by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

3. Thor

This is what I think as well. I'd add teambuster level characters like Thanos or Amazo and most powerhouses to the list too. If there was any chance of Hulk beating Skyfather+ level beings, that would be utterly poor writing.

#31 Edited by venomdog (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Long list:

1 Chuck norris^^

2 TOAA, need to change name to "The one blow chuck"

3 Ultron

4 Silveragesuperman

5 Odinforce

#32 Posted by Jimishim12 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

None, Hulk is Marvel's No Limits Fallacy character.

#33 Posted by XxEdward_KenwayXx (609 posts) - - Show Bio

He shouldn't able to beat thor, superman, Martian man hunter, silver surfer, and anything sky father level.

#34 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12: Really? So Hulk never lost a fight ever? I never knew that.

#35 Posted by Bezza (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people think he shouldn't be able to beat Thor? He has done on several occasions in the past and I think the Avengers movie showed how evenly matched they are. I don't have a problem with it, because Thor tends to brawl with Hulk which puts him on the back foot and I don't think he has the combat speed of someone like Superman. I appreciate others will have a different opinion on this!

#36 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by GreenScar1990 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: @raynorj

You also know what I don't get? Why these people think that the Hulk can't beat heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Thor. He's battled powerhouses like them before (Thor, Hyperion, Gladiator, Herc, Sentry) and even teams of heroes which included many powerhouses of the same powerhouse of similar caliber. Yet, when Doomsday, who is basically the Hulk gone mindless/beserk, bests Superman, battles a team of heroes, or snaps Wonder Woman's arms... they're okay with it.

Hypocritical much?

#38 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: @raynorj

You also know what I don't get? Why these people think that the Hulk can't beat heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Thor. He's battled powerhouses like them before (Thor, Hyperion, Gladiator, Herc, Sentry) and even teams of heroes which included many powerhouses of the same powerhouse of similar caliber. Yet, when Doomsday, who is basically the Hulk gone mindless/beserk, bests Superman, battles a team of heroes, or snaps Wonder Woman's arms... they're okay with it.

Hypocritical much?

OK let me just abjectly break things down as to why I and most other people think Hulk loses to the aforementioned DC characters because you're not in the mindset of understanding the feats of these DC characters whereas I know a lot about them and the Hulk.

• Speed - I'll start with the elephant in the room. Many DC powerhouses have shown top tier speed feats in their myriad of battles. Superman has hypersonic+ combat speed, he can perceive events slowed down to a nanosecond as if they're happening in real time and can blitz people faster than they can speak or realise what's going on. Martian Manhunter can blitz White Martians capable of blitzing Superman and effortlessly react to bullets. And Wonder Woman has trained combat reaction feats and has tagged Wally West on several occasions as well as react to Superman plus there's a statement she has faster reaction speeds than Superman. The Hulk has better combat speed feats than Thor as I've argued before but he's only street level/low level superhuman at best in speed and reactions. He won't be able to perceive their speed blitzes and characters like Gladiator, Sentry and Hyperion that have shown superspeed should use their speed on the Hulk. Thus, the speed blitz is the main factor as to why Hulk can't beat DC powerhouses.
  • Versatility - Hulk may have a slight physical superiority but the other characters are more powerful and versatile in their powers. Superman can unleash all of his combat powers at once. A flurry of super speed, super strong punches whilst peppering Hulk with heat vision and freeze breath makes Superman a menacing foe for Hulk to face. Martian Manhunter has telepathy which, regardless of the Hulk's TP feats will be no much for MM. He's shown superior feats to Xavier and broken through tougher telepathic defenses than the Hulk's. And he has intangibility which allows him to basically f*** the Hulk's organs up and defeat him from the inside. And Wonder Woman has her Lasso, bracelets and tiara. The tiara would be capable of cutting Hulk given that Superman and gods have been cut from it, the bracelets produce a forcefield and lighting and the lasso would incapacitate Hulk entirely. Before you mention the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, those haven't held Skyfathers like Diana's lasso has. If Thor were to use Mjolnir constructively like he does on cosmic beings, Hulk would go down to him rather swiftly. Since he prefers to bludgeon the Hulk H2H, we have the infamous Hulk vs Thor rivalry.
  • Comparable Physicals - Although the Hulk surpasses all the characters in raw physical stats, they all approach Hulk in strength and striking power. Superman has towed the Earth around whilst Starbreaker moved it into the Sun with Hal Jordan's help and I've calculated that Superman can lift 3.3 quintillion tons from that feat. He's also an effortless moon buster and has one shotted John Stewart's forcefields and since John's shields protected him from the planetary destruction of Xanshi, that's an impressive feat. MM has gone toe to toe with the entire League and the team busting Despero so that's definitely put him on Superman's strength level. And Wonder Woman has managed to survive the wrath of a bloodlusted Superman twice, easily tank a nuke, overpower female Kryptonians Power Girl and Supergirl, withstand the entire Olympic Pantheon blasting her with a beam of energy and more. That's another reason why the DC powerhouses win more often than not, because their feats are physically comparable to Hulk's.
  • The Doomsday Fallacy - Lastly, using Doomsday as an example of a "beserk Hulk" doesn't count as a good argument. Doomsday possesses adaptive physiology, an insane healing factor and the Hunter/Prey version, the one you reference, has defeated Darkseid, a Mother Box enhanced Superman and several members from the Morrison Justice League line up which is arguably one of the most powerful incarnations of the League after the Silver Age version. Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Wally West, Orion and more fell to H/P Doomsday and that puts him squarely in the team busting category, something Hulk has no equivalent claim to. This is why using Doomsday as a comparison is flawed because Doomsday is tailored to be unstoppable due to his genetic tampering.

Hope that's clarified some things as to why people think DC powerhouses can always overpower the Hulk.

#39 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

The only real problem is speed, versatility is something that Hulks opponents always had over him but that didn't help them, physicals are in Hulks favor especially considering that pulling those tectonic plates of Sakaar is measured at hundreds of quintillion tons. As for Doomdsay when did he bust a planet? When did he break it just by walking over it? Hulk has bust teams before and whole teams of Avengers, FF, Xmen, etc(and i am not just talking about WWH)... the only ones that stopped him are characters on his level. Just how Superman stopped Doomsday.

That mindset of people thinking that DC characters can ALWAYS overpower the Hulk is flawed and hypocritical to begin with. Speed is the only problem but there are hundreds of examples of FTL characters getting tagged by street levelers and it's not always PIS. Things go both ways, because i find myself more than often seeing people not knowing anything about the Hulk himself yet they automatically assume the character they like will win.

#41 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj: No the problem is speed AND versatility. I've outlined above how the versatility of all these powerhouses clearly is enough to put Hulk down and combined with their vastly superior speed, makes the victory all the more secure in the DC powerhouse corner. To set the full context, the X-Men members weren't exactly up to scratch with Hulk and the New/Mighty Avengers roster during World War Hulk comprised of street levellers to mid tier beings. I couldn't see a single high tier being till Strange showed up. Finally, Doomsday has beaten beings that would walk all the over Hulk nearly simultaneously without rest so that's what puts him above Hulk alongside superior healing and instant adaptive physiology.

FTL characters getting tagged by street levellers is down to PLOT and the writers. Beings like Solomon Grundy should never be able to tag Superman. To quote from the Battle Forum rules:

These are terms commonly used on battle forums on other sites and most of us know what they mean. For those who don’t, PIS is “plot induced stupidity” and CIS is “character induced stupidity”. PIS/”jobbing” is when a character loses for the sake of plot despite the fact that they should be able to win. CIS is when a character loses because an aspect of the character (usually a lack of intelligence) gets in his own way. Superman losing to Batman would be PIS is most cases since Superman is perfectly capable of beating Batman in a number of ways before he can react. Sandman losing to Spider-Man is CIS because Sandman isn’t all that smart so Spider-Man, who is less powerful and should be easy to beat, can outsmart him and find victory.

Determining what is done for the plot and what is done because of the characters involved can be hard for some people. Superman is a prime case. In comics, Superman rarely uses his speed offensively. This is done for plot, to prolong the story and make it interesting (though it can also be said that it's a part of his character and not done solely because it benefits the story). In comics, Superman doesn’t kill. He does not spare his enemies because of the plot, he spares them because it’s part of his character not to kill thanks to how he was raised. In battles on the forum we include CIS, but not PIS, so Superman uses his speed but generally doesn’t kill unless otherwise stated. (“Bloodlust”)

This kind of gets into “bad writing”. It’s a term that gets thrown around a lot but one I don’t think always applies. Not every fight where the more powerful/capable character loses is bad writing. Situations can determine the winner just as much as the characters themselves so those should be taken into account before judging if a win “should” have happened or not.

I know plenty about the Hulk thanks to two esteemed Hulk experts on here and I've seen several respect threads of the Hulk's abilities yet I'm still certain that Hulk loses in most fights to any of the aforementioned DC characters.

#43 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care. If it's a good story and they have an explanation for it, I'm fine with him beating anyone

#44 Edited by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Either they're trolling or flat out ignoring you. Either way I wouldn't waste my time.

Edit: Nvm, he deleted his post.

#45 Edited by green_skaar (4761 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh brother here we go again. If you don't like something in comics, just dismiss it! I absolutely refuse to debate with folks that are so myopic they can't think of reasons the writer made some decisions other than "stupidity" (e.g. PIS/CIS/WIS).

#46 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

I stand by what I said earlier, except expand it to include Silver Surfer.

#47 Edited by GreenScar1990 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj said:

The only real problem is speed, versatility is something that Hulks opponents always had over him but that didn't help them, physicals are in Hulks favor especially considering that pulling those tectonic plates of Sakaar is measured at hundreds of quintillion tons. As for Doomdsay when did he bust a planet? When did he break it just by walking over it? Hulk has bust teams before and whole teams of Avengers, FF, Xmen, etc(and i am not just talking about WWH)... the only ones that stopped him are characters on his level. Just how Superman stopped Doomsday.

That mindset of people thinking that DC characters can ALWAYS overpower the Hulk is flawed and hypocritical to begin with. Speed is the only problem but there are hundreds of examples of FTL characters getting tagged by street levelers and it's not always PIS. Things go both ways, because i find myself more than often seeing people not knowing anything about the Hulk himself yet they automatically assume the character they like will win.

Exactly. Speed and versatility don't guarantee a win. I guess Doomsday would run through those heroes if they're fighting his style of fight, which is exactly the kind of battle that the Hulk excels at: direct, brutal physical confrontation. That is the Hulk's forte. There's no proof that Hulk wouldn't be able to do the same as Doomsday did to those heroes considering that they're similar. The only difference is that, for the most part, Hulk has morals and won't kill unless pushed. That's the only real difference, besides appearance and the fact Hulk has no power/strength/durability limit, between Doomsday and the Hulk.

#48 Edited by Wolverine08 (45707 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk really shouldn't be able to defeat Superman,Thor, Silver Surfer, and other extremely versatile powerhouses unless they decide to forgo their ridiculous versatility advantages over him, and try to slug it out.

#49 Posted by green_skaar (4761 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk really shouldn't be able to defeat Thor, Silver Surfer, and other extremely versatile powerhouses.

Well he's already beat Thor...

#50 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18832 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk really shouldn't be able to defeat Thor, Silver Surfer, and other extremely versatile powerhouses.

carry on.