This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Bezza (3454 posts) - - Show Bio

...apart from his owns fans I mean...

particularly in the battle threads, quite a lot of people are fairly dismissive of Hulk when it comes to particularly DC powerhouses, forgetting that brute strength counts for a lot. As an example, take a Grizzly Bear in a fight against a big cat. The bear might move much slower, be less agile, mobile etc, but by gum it isn't easier for any cat to take down a grizzly.

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (82631 posts) - - Show Bio

He gets a lot of respect but he is also disrespected a lot, too.

The Hulk is one of those characters who is so well-known that he has a lot of fans and he has a lot of haters. In this way he's in the same category as other characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man. Much like iconic sports teams like the New York Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys, these characters are generally loved or hated.

#4 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (40635 posts) - - Show Bio

He tends to get lowballed in the battle forums.

#6 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17789 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk is one of those characters who is so well-known that he has a lot of fans and he has a lot of haters. In this way he's in the same category as other characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man. Much like iconic sports teams like the New York Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys, these characters are generally loved or hated.

#7 Posted by HellionVulcan (3714 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there's a reason for that as some hulk fanboys say he can kill Odin & Zeus with one punch ,So i can see it making people disliking Hulk because of that .

#8 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

particularly in the battle threads, quite a lot of people are fairly dismissive of Hulk when it comes to particularly DC powerhouses, forgetting that brute strength counts for a lot. As an example, take a Grizzly Bear in a fight against a big cat. The bear might move much slower, be less agile, mobile etc, but by gum it isn't easier for any cat to take down a grizzly.

This cat just chased away a bear. Your analogy is invalidated :P

#9 Edited by Teh_pwnerer (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I think there's a reason for that as some hulk fanboys say he can kill Odin & Zeus with one punch ,So i can see it making people disliking Hulk because of that .

Nobody ever says that.

I find it crazy how disrespected he is. In a recent thread, people were picking Thor or Superman over a World Breaker Hulk when all 3 have the same speed. World Breaker Hulk would be a threat to either of those guys even handicapped in speed, yet somehow he's going to lose when they lose their only advantage? I don't think so!

#10 Edited by Farkam (4863 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#11 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever I see a thread like this, where someone talks about how so-and-so isn't respected, I think the best solution is to prove it on the Battles board. If you genuinely feel like said character is being dissed, express it in debate.

#12 Edited by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

Bears are actually really fast. They can run at speeds of over 40 mph. About as fast a race horse.

Bears aren't just big and strong, they are powerful. Power is about the rate at which a force is transfered.

Power allows someone to be strong AND fast.

Some People don't think Hulk is powerful. it seems that what a lot of people don't get about the Hulk despite the fact that his comics slap you in the face with it.

The Hulk is very powerful. Deal with it.

#13 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

This cat just chased away a bear. Your analogy is invalidated :P

Hulk causally KOs bears, your argument is invalid.

#14 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: And you think they don't do that? I try to do it as often as i can, but expressing your displeasure and even proving others wrong is more then often not gonna change their stance, if someone hates a character and disrespects him for whatever reason that's something you wont ever really change.

Hulk get's disrespect because he is a brick character that has more then often proven in comics to hold his against any of the heavyweight superheros and that displeases many people. They are used to having to debate with "Superman" types of characters those that can have super strength, speed, can fly, have long range energy attacks(and more than often a plethora of other miniscule and not so miniscule powers). You bring the Hulk in a debate a guy who they see as having nothing more than strength going for him and you wont have anyone accepting he can beat others who are much more versatile than him.

Anyway i know the Hulk is not the most powerful character, he is not even the strongest one there is, he may never beat certain characters and even certain superheroes, he may not even be the most green guy out there. But i love the character for who and what he is and the more people disrespect and low ball him for whatever reasons the more i will like the character and defend him. In the end all that matters is reading which character satisfies you the most, no one can take that away from you.

And for the argument that people hate him because some fanboys say he can beat Zeus or Galactus or whatever, everyone has those fans and trolls, yes trolls in case you guys haven't figured it out not everyone that comes in a thread and says "Hulk is strongest there is" or "Hulk smash puny Galactus" is a fanboy, it's just guys that are unfortunately doing a good job at agitating people and making them dislike the character even more because a lot of you swallow the bait hook, line and sinker.

Sorry for the rant.

#15 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5092 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj

All I'm saying is this: how is making a forum thread about it a constructive response to the situation? If you genuinely feel like there are certain aspects of Hulk that are being overlooked by other debaters, then take note of them in the threads. And if your counterargument is solid, if the proof is undeniable, and your opponents are intelligent - they'll see that. That's the whole point of a debate, no? To persuade and convince people to come over to your side, or to share your opinion.

If someone blindly hates a character and says he/she loses solely on the fact that a) the person hates said character or b) the person hates the fanbase of said character, then it's simple - don't bother getting in arguments with these people. They're probably not gonna listen to what you have to say, and more importantly, probably not very fun people to have a challenging discussion with.

I can understand your stance. Every fan has been there at one point on another - you hop onto a thread and you see your favorite character being severely underestimated due to misunderstandings. But as you said, people who hate characters are "something you won't ever really change'. So why bother making a thread expressing your displeasure? It's far better to prove it with strong arguments, and in time, even if the haters don't care, at least open-minded Viners will - and these are really the only debaters whose opinions one should care about.

#17 Posted by GreenScar1990 (555 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he doesn't.

He should get A LOT more respect than most give him on this site.

If you don't like a character, or how powerful he is and can become, then fine.

But don't discredit their power, feats, and history.

'Cause there's a lot of us who enjoy the character.

#18 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well the first step to responding to the situation is to first address and acknowledge that situation, wouldn't you agree? Yea i wish debates where as simple as that, but more often than not the intelligence of the debaters is not the problem it's the stubborn bias that many have.

I am not just talking about people that openly hate on the character and bash on him which removes all doubt about any credibility they might have those are just blatant trolls and haters. I am talking about the ones that are a lot craftier than that, they will always come up with excuses or counter arguments that don't really hold up but are enough off a defense for them to not give up on the debate and to see through to their way.

This thread wont change anything that's true but the reason for that is everyone will get tired at one point or another defending their character. There will always be one of you, but you will constantly come across a different hater or a fanboy of a certain character and people just don't wanna bother and that just spirals onward, especially after those haters, trolls or whatever see there is no resistance they just end up overwhelming everything. Of course i am not talking just about the Hulk, here but i feel Hulk is more underestimate than most. You see with a character like Superman he is made to be able to go against anyone and his history can back that up, characters like Batman and Spiderman are not(and despite some Batman fanboys) everyone will always know their place. Hulk is a lot trickier because he can hold his own against those heavyweights but is built nothing like them. And that pisses of so many people. I will never debate Spiderman vs Thor in a random encounter because there is nothing to really debate about, however Hulk vs Thor is a different story but that's impossible to prove to some people.

Anyway, yea this is all pointless. Like i said the thread is not gonna change anything, me whining about it is not gonna change anything. I was just expressing my opinion on the matter and answering the question of the thread. You are right, but i wish we saw more of those open minded Viners you speak off.

#19 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj

I don't mean 'intelligence' as in knowledge or debating skill, to note. I'm referring to debaters who are open-minded enough to consider all viewpoints about the characters in a fight, and be objective enough to listen to what the opposing side has to say. And if there are debaters who put up counterarguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, then you have every right to expose that with a logical and fair argument. And if they still remain stubborn, then like I said, let it go. There's no point getting upset or getting in a discussion with Viners like that.

The reason why a thread like this won't change anything isn't because of any of that. It's because a thread like this comes across as fans expressing their displeasure at the disrespect, but not doing anything to change a skewered viewpoint of their character. Now maybe you're right. Maybe it's just some prejudice rooted for years, that debaters on this site always favor guys like Superman over the Hulk due to their versatility. And this prevailing opinion makes it difficult for change. But I for one would continue debating, or maybe write a blog post expressing my argument. And if I'm burnt out with countering obviously-flawed arguments, I just don't engage those individuals in the first place.

At the end of the day though, a comic-book community will always be like this. There will always be bad apples, and fans will always clash over characters