k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

"Gregarious" Gerry Duggan is clearly having a lot of fun with Hulk's Doc Green's world and you know what? I'm having a lot of fun reading it. The way Duggan's created such a far-reaching story and put Rulk at the center of it has really won me over. Sure, many people still have bad memories of Rulk's debut story, but this almost feels like it's giving us the Hulk vs. Red Hulk conflict we deserve. It's not just haymakers and uppercuts. Well, there are plenty of those, but there's a great amount of buildup and, when the dust settles, you discover there was so much more meaning behind the fight. God knows we've seen plenty of slugfests and they don't always feel original, but the way he's altered Hulk and now incorporated a whole new wildcard in here really makes this story more refreshing. It doesn't hurt that the dialogue is full of charm and personality, too. Yes, I do think the Gamma Corps aren't utilized all that well here and there's two very brief bits of slapstick comedy that didn't make me laugh, but everything else was solid and had me totally pulled into this story. Even though I love the way Duggan writes a certain character, part of me is left wishing he picked someone else for the next chapter. I mean, wouldn't "the smartest there is" want a more reliable choice? Still, it would be unfair for me to hold that against this issue; I'll wait and see how it's handled. Besides, this characters' potential unreliableness has to be part of Doc Green's plan, after all.

The script is a fun one and Mark Bagley, Drew Hennessy, and Jason Keith make sure these pages are as well. Whether it's a double-splash page that's full of energy blasts or the need to sell some physical comedy, the slightly cartoonish and bright approach to these characters consistently delivers. Based on the final page, you can tell this team is going to have plenty of fun illustrating the new character, too. I can't help but love the unamused look on Doc Green's face in that moment.

The Bad

I imagine fans of the Gamma Corps (if there are any?) will be pretty disappointed. I have no emotional connection to the group whatsoever and even I was left feeling a little letdown over how limited their role was. I know we shouldn't let a cover create expectations, but here I was, hoping this would give us a little more insight into this group. Instead, they're just kind of there for a quick brawl and then they're swiftly removed from the picture.

The cliffhanger is going to be a polarizing one. It really shouldn't be a surprise because we've already seen the cover for the next issue, but it's a cameo that'll have some people saying, "Really? More of this person?" I'm not one of those people, but it's worth noting.

Minor criticism: if Hulk is learning Kung-Fu in the opening (something I really hope we see more of!), it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity not to show off some of what he's learned in the big action scene. I would have LOVED to see Hulk bust out some technique, but I guess they're saving those moves for the second round with Thunderbolt Ross. I mean, I get he isn't a martial arts master just yet and he was angry, but that could have made the scene a little more exciting.

The Verdict

HULK may not be all that compelling or jaw-dropping right now, but it's consistently solid and absolutely a good time. It offers a steady dose of enjoyable comedy, fun bits of action, and continues delivering plenty of plot progression. What started off as a seemingly basic story ("approach character, cure character, move on to the next one!") has branched out and become so much more interesting. Sure, the basic formula is still there, but with the A.I. playing a significant role and the tension for the big showdown increasing, this has become a story that has me honestly guessing where it'll go next. Having energetic visuals bring all of this fun to life certainly doesn't hurt, too!

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Overall i would say it was an enjoyable issue, though it felt more like padding and it's a shame how the Gamma corps got handled... if i was a fan of theirs i know i wouldn't have been happy. But the biggest gripe is Doc Green still fighting like he always did, i was 100% from the previews we got he would at least pull 1-2 moves he learned from Danny... oh well...

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't really been following the series but I was left wondering, why dis Doc Green decide to go after his friends first? Was that ever resolved? I kinda stopped reading it when that happened as I lost interest in this version of the Hulk.

I do kinda like Mess, I hope she's okay. The Gamma Corps had a lot of potential which was never realized.

GinsengKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hulk does not need to learn Kung Fu. I am scrating my head on that over that one. He is the stongest one there is. And a natural fighter.

Avatar image for whats_out_the_bag
Whats_out_the_bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginsengking:

There are many reasons why he NEEDS to learn Kung Fu or some fighting style. There are times when he fights characters who aren't exactly faster, but are simply better fighters. Red Hulk is a much better fighter being trained by the U.S military. Having some fighting skills to back him up is really going to help him.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt like this issue. it moved the story forward but it was too slow for my liking.