undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There’s a real tone of “you knew this was coming” that permeates this issue, and it’s directed both at Doc Green AND the reader. Finally, Green can’t delay or put it off: he’s got to hunt down Red Hulk AKA Thunderbolt Ross, one of Banner, and Hulk’s, longest-standing villains and, as of his transformation, likely his most dangerous one. All the strength of a hulk, and while he may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, he’s got a brilliant tactical mind capable of out-thinking nearly anyone in the midst of battle. Gerry Duggan does a fantastic job of keeping these issues, which really have been a series of fights, fresh and interesting by putting each of the different gamma creatures’ main features front-and-center, thus serving to differentiate not just the characters, but their styles of combat. We get a brief appearance by Matt Murdock, but like other non-gamma characters, he mostly serves as the fulcrum upon which the leadup to a massive fight turns. He also gets to have his own sniping quips and a great moment involving a rather unique use for a pair of chopsticks, but this issue is all about these two giant lugs laying into one another. Another very cool thing that Duggan does is make Red Hulk a legitimate threat to Doc’s well-being, finally giving the book a sense of suspense and allowing Green a moment of pain and even doubt. At least he’s not ENTIRELY unstoppable.

Mark Bagley’s pencils are absolutely amazing on this issue, with the character designs evoking the look of Rulk co-creator Ed McGuinness and making both characters look absolutely, unstoppably cool. As they hulk-up and the battle becomes more vicious and violent, we get a decent sense of pacing, but an amazing sense of motion and action, a critical step to any battle-focused issue. The inks by Drew Hennessy do an incredible job of adding weight and details, as well as a sense of incredible impact as the two giants crash into each other. Jason Keith’s colors are also bold and give the book the look of a classic Hulk story and, despite it taking place at night, the book has a brightness and a vibrancy to it that perfectly suits the epic tone.

The Bad

Setting the book in San Francisco was a strange choice, considering Ross' only real interaction with the City by the Bay is to cause earthquakes with his debut, but he appears to have staked the area out, despite Hulk never having much interaction with it either. While it was cool seeing Daredevil, and he had a neat moment, one of the disadvantages of moving him across the country is that having him “randomly” pop up in another character's book becomes less “random” and needs more justification.

There’s also just slightly too much needless exposition, either of characters explaining what they’re doing or why or other characters flat-out saying things for the benefit of the reader that either could have been inferred or explained without flat-out saying them.

The Verdict

This was, ultimately, a massive brawl of an issue with some exposition on the side, and there’s nothing wrong with that, considering whose name is on the cover. Finding new and novel ways to present characters, particularly characters who have an already extensive history, might not be a challenge unique to comics, but it’s certainly more common in this medium than others. And while the battle between the two main characters in this issue at first seems like well-worn territory, it actually winds up coming off as particularly novel as we’ve got two sentient, thinking Hulks rather than one clever one and one berserker. It’s a small change, but a critical one and it gives the issue a sense of novelty and continues this storyline in an interesting direction while showing Duggan's ability to come up with new and interesting ways to have gamma powered people smash into each other.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By micah007123

Please tell me you are giving Hulk vs Red Hulk a spot on Battles of the Week?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the San Francisco that's now full of drug addicts thanks to Iron Man?

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The battle was good. Ill give it an 7/10. Red Hulk messed up Doc green pretty well and i liked how we saw some actuall Technique from Ross. Normally, when it comes to Hulks its just brawling, which still happened here but as it was tactical at the same time. I give this issue 3.5/5

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So did Ross get de-powered or not?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage said:

So did Ross get de-powered or not?

He get dropped in vulcan, but not get depowered.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rubear: Well that's frustrating, since he's my least favorite Hulk.

Something tells me that Marvel probably didn't let Duggan de-hulk him.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rainja

@theacidskull: Yup Rulk won that battle physically while Doc Green won Strategically.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Your not entirely wrong but you are not entirely right at the same time. Hulks intention was not to win the physical confrontation it was to lower him to his base. When hulk did engage in the confrontation he got floored. Thats a fact. That transpired.

Avatar image for hulksmashlittleman
HULKSMASHLITTLEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RESPECT THE HULK

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@theacidskull: Bingo! Doc Green/Hulk intentionally let himself get pummeled. He intentionally threw the fight. He took a deliberate dive in order to make Red Hulk believe he had the advantage and was the most dominant/strongest of the two. It was all in order to deceive Red Hulk into getting what he wanted. It was all an act, a ruse on part of Doc Green. He even purposely insulted Red Hulk/Ross just so he'd get more ticked and attack him with everything he's got.

Next round? Red Hulk isn't going to walk away alive. I can pretty much see and guarantee it now. If Doc Green would have beaten Rulk to a bloody pulp and depowered him in the 1st round, he wouldn't have gotten the data/information he needed. What's does he need it for? I have a few theories, but I'll keep them to myself.

But, mark my words, when Doc Green/Maestro comes for Red Hulk... he's gonna wish he was depowered. This was Ross' first and only chance to walk out of this alive. General Ross/Red Hulk is a D.M.W. (Dead Man Walking).

Avatar image for hulksmashlittleman
HULKSMASHLITTLEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Hulk is the boss

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said before they won't get rid so easily from Rulk...I said it again Rulk now is the arch nemesis of Hulk after Abomination's demise(I don't count the mindless clone)and we won't see the last of him for the near future...But I like that now we have 2 clever and cunning Hulks around it's more interesting than pure rage fight...

Duggan already is my favorite Hulk writer after David....Pak started very strong(with 2 now-ll-time-classics PH and WWH)but he screw it later a little bit....

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Regardless if he

Allowed it or not. He got "floored" he got his arm break and his face was well bruised. I dont care who you are and if u consent to it or not...Thats getting your ass kicked and Hulk clearly fought back.Did he fight with all of his might? No...did he get Efffd up? yea!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainja:

Your entirley missing the point though.