#1 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio

TheAcidSkull has mythology on the mind when he asks, "The only question i have is about Hercules, will he be appearing soon in the new Marvel NOW? Possibly with his powers back?"

Alonso: There are no current plans to do a new Hercules title, TheAcidSkull, but you can find his latest appearance in the “Avengers Vs. X-Men: Avengers Academy” trade paperback, where he and the kids battle an exceptionally dangerous Sebastian Shaw.

#2 Posted by Lvenger (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

Why Marvel, why? Hercules is a compelling character who deserves an epic series back! Why won't you give Hercules his due in the Marvel universe?

#3 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: because marvel does not care -______-!

#4 Posted by Lvenger (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: See this is the problem with the Big 2. They have the characters and the creative teams but at times the executives pull a d*** move and p*** off the fans. For some inane reasons. It is bewildering needless to say.

#5 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull: See this is the problem with the Big 2. They have the characters and the creative teams but at times the executives pull a d*** move and p*** off the fans. For some inane reasons. It is bewildering needless to say.

There also the fact that marvel has a soft spot for the Norse Religion side, so the others are left in the dark -______-

#6 Posted by Lvenger (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

There also the fact that marvel has a soft spot for the Norse Religion side, so the others are left in the dark -______-

DC has the Greek side though via Wonder Woman. Maybe Marvel want to distinguish themselves? Tis a lame excuse but it might be what they're thinking

#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:

@lvenger said:

DC has the Greek side though via Wonder Woman. Maybe Marvel want to distinguish themselves? Tis a lame excuse but it might be what they're thinking

thats a definite possibility, Or Marvel could have come to the conclusion that Greek gods are used to often, so they still want to stick with something new..

#8 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

TheAcidSkull has mythology on the mind when he asks, "The only question i have is about Hercules, will he be appearing soon in the new Marvel NOW? Possibly with his powers back?"

Alonso: There are no current plans to do a new Hercules title, TheAcidSkull, but you can find his latest appearance in the “Avengers Vs. X-Men: Avengers Academy” trade paperback, where he and the kids battle an exceptionally dangerous Sebastian Shaw.

Actually something will be coming up, it involves Warrior Woman and her return and power up, you have to check on CBR to find out more info, ask PowerHerc, I sent him a link a while back he may still have it.

#9 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Wolfrazer (6104 posts) - - Show Bio

Its actually worse then DC's Herc...and that is saying something because DC's Hercules, was pretty much a punching bag among other things,. But at least DC didn't make him into a mere mortal....no Marvel...NO. You don't take someone, who

1. Is a god

2. Worked to become a god, it wasn't just handed to him.

3. Is synonymous with strength itself.

4. Was the 1st strongman and having multiple heroes, taking from him as a basis for a character.

and completely make him into a guy with ancient greek weapons. Marvel...when you do re-power Hercules, you better make him POWERFUL, in fact moreso then what he was before, show him doing feats of strength and the like. Hercules doesn't need to be a mere mortal, he has already been through being a mortal as a demi-god and earned his godhood through his labors and the like, STOP GOING BACKWARDS!

#11 Posted by Lvenger (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I remember Stan Lee saying that he wanted to focus on the Norse mythology as the Greek mythology had been used plenty of times before in comic books

Its actually worse then DC's Herc...and that is saying something because DC's Hercules, was pretty much a punching bag among other things,. But at least DC didn't make him into a mere mortal....no Marvel...NO. You don't take someone, who

1. Is a god

4. Was the 1st strongman and having multiple heroes, taking from him as a basis for a character.

and completely make him into a guy with ancient greek weapons. Marvel...when you do re-power Hercules, you better make him POWERFUL, in fact moreso then what he was before, show him doing feats of strength and the like. Hercules doesn't need to be a mere mortal, he has already been through being a mortal as a demi-god and earned his godhood through his labors and the like, STOP GOING BACKWARDS!

QFT

#12 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Lvenger (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: It is harsh isn't it? Sometimes Marvel don't know what's best for them.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17347 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull: It is harsh isn't it? Sometimes Marvel don't know what's best for them.

yup -___-

#15 Edited by drgnx (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

He will get is own title in Marvel Later!

#16 Edited by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Is a god

Bravo and Cheers to this!

I wholeheartedly agree.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Really? Is this true?

What can you tell me?

#18 Posted by drgnx (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Really? Is this true?

What can you tell me?

Sorry man, it was meant to be a joke, since Marvel titles are called "Marvel Now". Marvel Later was meant to be the Joke since Later could = "some time approaching Forever"

#19 Edited by Dernman (14770 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the Herc series where he was depowered and looking at a new serious interpretation on the character. The first issue showed promise and I was liking it but then it got bogged down by crossovers. By that time I feel they were not even trying anymore and just reverted back to the old funny version. It really ruined the book. Don't get me wrong I like the silly version myself and he had a good run pre herc series. Either way I would like to see Hercules somewhere in Marvel.

#20 Posted by HellionVulcan (3633 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how people can find him compelling i mean even when he fought Mikaboshi at Skyfather level he was still like i'm gonna punch him ... it made me face palm I wish they'd do an Ares/Hercules book together since Ares is the more interesting character going by his mini's (in my opinion) from renouncing his godliness to raise a son to him being "kidnapped" forcing Ares to combat half the world for his son .You got to see different sides to Ares maybe they should do something like that to Hercules to make him more relateable . .

#21 Edited by seekquaze (607 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how people can find him compelling i mean even when he fought Mikaboshi at Skyfather level he was still like i'm gonna punch him ... it made me face palm I wish they'd do an Ares/Hercules book together since Ares is the more interesting character going by his mini's (in my opinion) from renouncing his godliness to raise a son to him being "kidnapped" forcing Ares to combat half the world for his son .You got to see different sides to Ares maybe they should do something like that to Hercules to make him more relateable . .

From what I recall to reactions on the Message boards at that time and the reviews on different websites Chaos War as a whole was a mixed bag at best if not a bit of a let down. A lot of people did agree with you about Hercules being too much of a clown in that series. Chaos War was a highly flawed story that should not be used to judge Hercules as a whole. The first two story arcs of the Incredible Hercules were much better and portray a more well-rounded character.

#22 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

You probably haven't read iHerc then, huh? What do you mean about him 'punching'? That he's stupid? Because he is. The marvel character is a lot stupider than the one from the myths, but being stupid doesn't make a character bad. He was written well in iHerc.

#23 Edited by HellionVulcan (3633 posts) - - Show Bio

@hellionvulcan said:

From what I recall to reactions on the Message boards at that time and the reviews on different websites Chaos War as a whole was a mixed bag at best if not a bit of a let down. A lot of people did agree with you about Hercules being too much of a clown in that series. Chaos War was a highly flawed story that should not be used to judge Hercules as a whole. The first two story arcs of the Incredible Hercules were much better and portray a more well-rounded character.

I actually liked most of the incredible Hercules run (a friend got me to read it) but Hercules i never really liked nor disliked him as a character i just wish they'd go more in-depth with him .

@hellionvulcan said:

You probably haven't read iHerc then, huh? What do you mean about him 'punching'? That he's stupid? Because he is. The marvel character is a lot stupider than the one from the myths, but being stupid doesn't make a character bad. He was written well in iHerc.

It may surprise u but i did read it & i do think it was probably the best he was written in awhile but Iherc just showed to make him some what more interesting they had to depower him like they did to X-man & that whole heat drug thing with Daken that failed badly,what i have read it just lacked everything that was Hercules from the incredible Hercules & people disliked it so it ended up canned .

#24 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked him he was one of those goofy characters you had to love, this news depressed me...

#25 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@hellionvulcan said:

I actually liked most of the incredible Hercules run (a friend got me to read it) but Hercules i never really liked nor disliked him as a character i just wish they'd go more in-depth with him .

@leesensei said:

@hellionvulcan said:

It may surprise u but i did read it & i do think it was probably the best he was written in awhile but Iherc just showed to make him some what more interesting they had to depower him like they did to X-man & that whole heat drug thing with Daken that failed badly,what i have read it just lacked everything that was Hercules from the incredible Hercules & people disliked it so it ended up canned .

Yeah. I remember at one point during iHerc the book was ranked 18th for the month. Obviously, if he's written well theirs an audience for him. If iHerc wasn't what you're in to, there are some other stories. Hercules-Hulk Unleashed, Thor Annual #5, Avengers Under Siege and a more classic story, but Thor #1-7.

#26 Posted by SC (12721 posts) - - Show Bio

Hippolyta is appearing in Fearless Defenders and has already appeared twice, and she has a new design and Hippolyta is cooler sounding than Warrior Woman heh heh - to answer a question in the thread. Anyway Marvel is not really Norse biased, Marvel is like every company ever in that its foundation biased. These Norse based characters have 40 years of history with dozens and dozens of more characters, stories, interactions not only than any other mythology, but most stories. Its also why the 05 X-Men are in comics right now and Generation X aren't. Why Hulk has a book but She Hulk doesn't. Its not really favoritism, its a combination of things to do with money, character histories (Hercules and She Hulk would appear more if they were founding Avengers and appeared in the Avengers movie) and just a lot of other things.

That and Marvel have never been actually good traditionally with being accurate with mythology that well. Its more that they are biased to their own actual characters than mythology. So that in mind what does Hercules need to get back into the spotlight? Well he really just needs a writer with a good pitch. The same as most characters really that aren't guaranteed sales. Thats as far as solo series and mini series, he might have an easier time getting into a team book ala Elektra who doesn't tend to have a lot of long solo series, she appears more as cameos and mini series. Greg Pak and Dan Slott know their Marvel history, hence they used him. Hercules hasn't actually appeared in Thor for a long time either, JMS wanted to update the franchise and wanted other characters out (and actually didn't even really feature Thor that often either funnily enough), Fraction doesn't really know many characters past that well, Aaron has wanted to focus on Thor and most other characters have been left out.

Anyway I am a huge Hercules fan, and not just Hercules but his corner of the world, Hercules is great because he has this rare boastful overconfidence that hides a rather sweet and caring humility and empathy. Plus he is like the ultimate bro, and with a lot of modern day culture playing off bro tropes Hercules would be great in Marvel Now scene. My ideal solution would to have another Avengers team book, written by Dan Slott with a big name artist on board, have characters like Hercules, Tigra, Vision, Hank Pym, Blue Marvel, Snowbird, War Machine, and I dunno someone random like Ghost Rider. Big names with traditional Avengers name with underused characters all in one book written by a good team Avengers writer.

#27 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@powerherc said:

@drgnx said:

Really? Is this true?

What can you tell me?

Sorry man, it was meant to be a joke, since Marvel titles are called "Marvel Now". Marvel Later was meant to be the Joke since Later could = "some time approaching Forever"

Oh, okay. :)

I completely missed your joke. I guess I was grasping at any chance of Hercules coming back in the Marvel Universe.

#29 Posted by westy206 (576 posts) - - Show Bio

I just miss him so much. :(

I wouldn't mind if they done an Olympus comic line. Hercules, Ares, Zeus, Athena, Aphrodities, Pluto are all characters who have been developed over the years.

#30 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@westy206 said:

I just miss him so much. :(

I wouldn't mind if they done an Olympus comic line. Hercules, Ares, Zeus, Athena, Aphrodities, Pluto are all characters who have been developed over the years.

Yes, you're right; Marvel has developed their versions of the Olympians enough to make them interesting to readers. Giving them their own series would really provide a great opportunity to develop them much further. With all the gods, monsters, Titans and other ancient mythological places, stories and artifacts available the writers would have an enormous amount of material to draw upon for information and inspiration.

I, of course, would want Hercules to be the focus of such a series and I'd want him fully re-powered.

#31 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

God damn it. Herc is one of my favorite parts of the mU, his humor, his somewhat silly but fun plots that actually made you smile, his cast of characters, everything! Herc made me feel like I was reading an actual superhero book rather than assholes in spandex. I hope Marvel rethinks this.

#32 Posted by westy206 (576 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc i too am a massive Herc fan and i believe iHerc is my favourite run i've ever read. i was thinking 50/50 Herc/everyone else

#33 Edited by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@westy206 said:

@powerherc i too am a massive Herc fan and i believe iHerc is my favourite run i've ever read. i was thinking 50/50 Herc/everyone else

An Olympian Gods comic with a 50/50 Hercules/everyone else split in focus? Yeah, I could go for that. I'd buy it.

#34 Posted by BigCimmerian (7863 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there any news about Herc? What is going on currently with him? I too miss him lol.

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there any news about Herc? What is going on currently with him? I too miss him lol.

No news yet. :/

#36 Posted by VicsAegis (10 posts) - - Show Bio

An Ultimate Hercules is currently appearing in Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates. He first appeared in issue 27 and 28 (the most recent issue). He should be in the next two as well.

Herc will also be appearing in Fearless Defenders #9 in September. Beyond that, there has been no new info of him appearing in any monthly series or his own. I'm hoping that when Marvel announces their NOW! Wave 2 plans soon, he'll be a part of that plan.

#37 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

An Ultimate Hercules is currently appearing in Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates. He first appeared in issue 27 and 28 (the most recent issue). He should be in the next two as well.

Herc will also be appearing in Fearless Defenders #9 in September. Beyond that, there has been no new info of him appearing in any monthly series or his own. I'm hoping that when Marvel announces their NOW! Wave 2 plans soon, he'll be a part of that plan.

Thanks for the info, especially the specific issue of "Fearless Defenders." :D

#38 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

I hope Jason Aaron uses Hercules in an arc on Thor God of Thunder soon because with the way he`s handling that series I think he`d do a great Thor and Herc team up story.

@theacidskull:

I just wish Marvel would just stop forking over pointless Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Wolverine, Avengers and X-Men titles and go for some under utilized characters. If they are so inclined as to not use Greek Mythology then why not just do a Thor and Hercules team up book.

#39 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

I hope Jason Aaron uses Hercules in an arc on Thor God of Thunder soon because with the way he`s handling that series I think he`d do a great Thor and Herc team up story.

I hope so, too. It would be great to see a Hercules and Thor team-up.

#40 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@powerherc:

I hope so, too. It would be great to see a Hercules and Thor team-up.

Yeah it`s a bummer Marvel doesn`t listen to their fans as much anymore. Well at least they listen to us unlike DC who just does whatever.

#41 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio