inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Reports are coming in that legendary artist Herb Trimpe has passed away. According to a Facebook post from a family member, the artist passed away on Monday evening:

"This past weekend I had the pleasure of seeing my cousin, Herb Trimpe, in action doing what he loved - meeting fans and drawing comics. I was there capturing video and interviews about his life and work with Marvel for a documentary that we were planning to work on.

No Caption Provided

Little did I know, this would be the final time I would get to see him. I wanted to share some very sad news with everyone. Monday night, Herb passed away."

Trimpe, born in 1939 in Peekskill, New York, is credited as the co-creator of Wolverine and drew THE INCREDIBLE HULK #180 and #181, which are the first appearances of that character. During Trimpe's time at Marvel, he worked on a plethora of books including MARVEL SUPER-HEROES, G.I. JOE SPECIAL MISSIONS, GODZILLA, SHOGUN WARRIORS, and OUTLAW KID, to name a few. Trimpe worked for Marvel for almost 30 years, before being let go in 1996. He was a father, writer, penciller, and inker.

His art helped define characters and an era at Marvel, and he was well loved by fans and creators alike. Today, on Twitter, artists, writers, editors, and fans all remember his work and what they loved about Trimpe's work and shared their favorite images that really stuck with them throughout the years.

Below are some of the many, many tweets that have gone out at everyone remembers his work.

In addition, writer Ron Marz also tweeted out a link to Jim Keefe's site, which has a post fro two years ago about Trimpe's work. Check out the full piece here, it's well-worth the read and has some great pieces Trimpe created as well as a piece the New York Times published about the days leading up to to Trimpe and other artists getting fired during the layoffs at Marvel.

Our thoughts are with Trimpe's family and loved ones. Please feel free to share some of your favorite memories of Trimpe's work.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is sad to hear. I've been reading through the run on Hulk that Trimpe drew for the first time. I was just thinking the other day how great his art is.

PsychoPinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

RIP Bud

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lived a fairly long life and helped create one of Marvel's most famous characters along with starting a family. You done good. RIP.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator

Rest in peace, bub.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By donmeca2020

R.I.P to Herb Trimpe.... it's a sad day in the Comic world.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sasquatch888

No Caption Provided

wow I loved his comics growing up especially his hulk comics he will be remembered

No Caption Provided

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May He Find Peace in Heaven alongside Logan.

R.I.P Herb Trimpe.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How sad, rest in peace good sir

danaandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really a major loss. One of the best comic book artists ever. He was scheduled to be at Big Wow Comicfest in San Jose this weekend, and I was hoping to shake his hand and simply thank him for the decades of enjoyment he'd given to so many of us. This is the stuff I grew up with, and his versions of the Hulk and Antman will always be my favorites.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sad day... his art on Hulk comics was always enjoyable.

R.I.P.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely a loss. Condolences to family and friends.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Good bye Herb thank you for the journey and the memories......

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Charles Forsman on Herb Trimpe:

Herb forever. This weekend I got to meet one of my favorite cartoonists. His name was Herb Trimpe. He passed away yesterday at 75. He was very kind to me. I asked him about doing a cover for a future issue of Revenger and he gave me his email. Sadly I won’t get to write to him. I’m pretty shocked right now. Herb wasn’t the kind of artists that comic nerds would name check as legendary. But they are wrong in that regard. I discovered his work a few years ago and immediately latched onto it. I can’t describe very well why it did but it just did. He was a workhorse that spent years churning out pages for marvel. His work dried up though as soon as he was out of style. A story all too common.

Like I said I just met him. He seemed perfectly healthy and happy.

Anyway. I am going to do a zine of his drawings to raise money for either his family or the Hero Initiative. If you have a favorite page or panel that Herb drew, feel free to scan it and send it my way.

Long live Herb.

BB

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well as I said in the thread I made for this also I am just shocked at this time. I met him just this Sunday at East Coast Comic Con and got his autograph. R.I.P

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 owie  Moderator

RIP, he was a classic.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By 2chimcha3

So sad to hear. May he rest in peace.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

No Caption Provided

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By BetaRaybdw

RIP bub, I was really looking forward to meeting him at Gem City Comic Con a couple weeks ago, but he had to cancel.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

R.I.P. Happy Herb. You will be missed.

Herb was a true comics legend- like Kirby & Colan. His Incredible Hulk is definitive for me, & I grew up on his Defenders, but his entire body of work is fantastic.

No Caption Provided

It was the masterful work of creators like him that instilled in me a life-long love of comics.

Wardog2alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another one of the greats who is responsible for creating this amazing fantasy world we all live in is lost. Thank you for everything Herb. You will be remembered every time I see one of your amazing characters on screen or on page.

md1292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally just saw him on Sunday at the East Coast Comic Con. My gratitude to him for all the work he's done to shape the comic landscape, especially what he did with the Incredible Hulk. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this cover is incredible no words can describe

No Caption Provided
DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers