inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

To celebrate the 21st anniversary of Mike Mignola's legendary Hellboy character, Dark Horse Comics and Rogue Ales have collaborated to create the RIGHT HAND OF DOOM, a limited edition beer that will be available online beginning February 22, 2015 at www.rogue.com.

“When Dark Horse Comics published the first Hellboy story 21 years ago, I never thought there’d be a Hellboy beer,” said Mignola. “But I really can’t imagine a better time for Rogue to introduce the Right Hand of Doom beer. If Hellboy was real I guess he’d finally be able to buy me a beer.”

“Hellboy has appeared in graphic novels and comic books, prose novels, two animated features, two live action films, toy lines and all manner of merchandise,,” said Mike Richardson, President of Dark Horse. “Rogue Ales approached us with the idea of creating a heavy-handed, supernatural red ale and we loved the idea of two independent, Portland based companies coming together to create something new that would be both fun for fans and worthy of the Mike Mignola’s creative legacy.”

“This beer is dedicated to the B.P.R.D,” said Brett Joyce, President of Rogue Ales. “RIGHT HAND OF DOOM is brewed with all the same passion and intensity that Mike Mignola and Dark Horse have brought to Hellboy for the past 21 years.”

The RIGHT HAND OF DOOM label features a Hellboy drawing by Mignola. The beer will be available for the first time publicly at an event at Things From Another World Comics store in Portland on Friday, February 20 at a signing with Mignola and fellow comic book superstars Matt Kindt (MIND MGMT), Eric Powell (THE GOON) and Brian Wood (REBELS). The event begins at 4 PM, with Mignola’s signing scheduled for 6 PM. The beer will be available nationally via http://buy.rogue.com/Rogue-Hellboy-Right-Hand-of-Doom-Red-Ale; pre-orders are now available.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I will be keeping an eye out for this, hopefully it shows up in a good amount of stores

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@roaris87 said:

I will be keeping an eye out for this, hopefully it shows up in a good amount of stores

You can pre-order it through the link. Sadly, I paid $15 for shipping, knowing darn well that one of my local shops will probably get it

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I just pre-ordered 4 of these. I'm excited for this but having Amazon Prime has really spoiled me. That shipping cost was a punch in the gut. Cost almost as much as my order for the cheapest one.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can already tell its going to be one of those very dark,bitter,and thick beers... never the less i wouldn't mind trying one and just keeping one sealed to put on a shelf or something.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 inferiorego  Staff

i can already tell its going to be one of those very dark,bitter,and thick beers... never the less i wouldn't mind trying one and just keeping one sealed to put on a shelf or something.

It's an red ale, not a stout. It will most likely have a full flavor but be a tiny bit heavier than an Lager. Think rich?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

It's an red ale, not a stout. It will most likely have a full flavor but be a tiny bit heavier than an Lager. Think rich?

i realize that, but just my experience when it comes to those Larger sized bottles of beer. ( Think Angry Bastard beer ) they tend to be just horrid.... overly Hoppy and bitter tasting.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG! Its encouraging children to drink! Kids are going to read comics then immediately begin to crave alcohol! Society will collapse! Someone please think of the children!!!!

(just preparing for the idiot news headline..)

It looks pretty good actually, the best tie-in I could think of was a stubby-holder in the shape of Hellboy's hand. (Like those foam Hulk hands they have already with a can holder built in)

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It tickles me that they waited until the comic reached the US legal drinking age to release this :)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@inferiorego said:

@donmeca2020 said:

i realize that, but just my experience when it comes to those Larger sized bottles of beer. ( Think Angry Bastard beer ) they tend to be just horrid.... overly Hoppy and bitter tasting.

I got an Arrogant Bastard Ale for my birthday from a friend who knows how much I enjoy craft beer. Honestly, that was one of the worst Ales I've ever tasted. It was like an assault on my palette rather than a treat.

As an avid beer drinker who's sampled and enjoyed literally dozens and dozens of beers over the last 20+ years, I don't use hyperbole when I say that it was repellent and vile. I don't know what they think they have to be arrogant about, but it sure isn't their brewing abilities. The overly hoppy flavor literally overpowered my senses. And the worst part was that it lingered on the tongue. It stayed there, like it wanted to keep punching me in the taste buds.

Normally, I love a good thick Ale or Stout. I love Guiness, Bass, Warsteiner Dunkel (which I'm not sure if it's an Ale or not, but it's a favorite anyway so I mention it). But I have nothing nice to say about the taste of Arrogant Bastard.

Cool bottle though.

I've never had anything by Rogue, but I like Hellboy enough to give this a try if I see it at Spec's. And even if I don't, I may try to order it online as a last resort. Just to keep one on the shelf sealed up for the Hellboy label.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

@inferiorego said:

@donmeca2020 said:

I got an Arrogant Bastard Ale for my birthday from a friend who knows how much I enjoy craft beer. Honestly, that was one of the worst Ales I've ever tasted. It was like an assault on my palette rather than a treat.

As an avid beer drinker who's sampled and enjoyed literally dozens and dozens of beers over the last 20+ years, I don't use hyperbole when I say that it was repellent and vile. I don't know what they think they have to be arrogant about, but it sure isn't their brewing abilities. The overly hoppy flavor literally overpowered my senses. And the worst part was that it lingered on the tongue. It stayed there, like it wanted to keep punching me in the taste buds.

Normally, I love a good thick Ale or Stout. I love Guiness, Bass, Warsteiner Dunkel (which I'm not sure if it's an Ale or not, but it's a favorite anyway so I mention it). But I have nothing nice to say about the taste of Arrogant Bastard.

Cool bottle though.

I've never had anything by Rogue, but I like Hellboy enough to give this a try if I see it at Spec's. And even if I don't, I may try to order it online as a last resort. Just to keep one on the shelf sealed up for the Hellboy label.

i had an arrogant bastard Ale years ago, thanks for clarifying the name too lol but my dad and i tried it and thought it was horrid.... speaking of it we ended up getting a bottle or two for christmas by a friend of ours... needless to say its still sitting in the fridge. no one wanted to drink it. but the bottle looks cool.

Overly hoppy beer, with those strong tart tastes just kills me... Miller light is my to go beer, but i enjoy magic hat #9, sam adams seasonals, sea dog, banana bread beer. etc so needless to say i LOVE beer. hell im having a beer now lmao. but when they're just too strong and bitter tasting i just hate having to poor a beer out.

by the way back on topic, i just ordered 2 bottles of the hell boy beer !!!! one will get drank the other will just be something that i'll put onto either a shelf in my bedroom or on my very old entertainment center in my living room.

Onin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gahhh! They don't ship to Texas :/

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is cool even through i'm not a beer drinker.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@donmeca2020 said:

@zzombie13 said:

Cool bottle though.

i had an arrogant bastard Ale years ago, thanks for clarifying the name too lol but my dad and i tried it and thought it was horrid.... speaking of it we ended up getting a bottle or two for christmas by a friend of ours... needless to say its still sitting in the fridge. no one wanted to drink it. but the bottle looks cool.

Overly hoppy beer, with those strong tart tastes just kills me... Miller light is my to go beer, but i enjoy magic hat #9, sam adams seasonals, sea dog, banana bread beer. etc so needless to say i LOVE beer. hell im having a beer now lmao. but when they're just too strong and bitter tasting i just hate having to poor a beer out.

by the way back on topic, i just ordered 2 bottles of the hell boy beer !!!! one will get drank the other will just be something that i'll put onto either a shelf in my bedroom or on my very old entertainment center in my living room.

Banana Bread Beer? I bet that was interesting. :)

When I was in my 20s I really got into the microbrew scene. Here in Fort Worth we have this great bar called The Flying Saucer that features 100 or more beers on tap. They rotate and change them out as needed, seasonally or whatever. I used to go there and try new stuff all the time. Belgian beers, German beers, micros, etc. It was a lot of fun. I'm a pretty big guy and I'm half Irish so I'd often try 6 or 8 new ones per visit (if someone else was driving, naturally).

Nowadays I'm more of a scotch drinker than a beer drinker, but I still try a few when the opportunity arises or when the mood strikes. Shiner Bock has been my favorite for over 20 years. It's a Texas beer, which I like. And it's nice and thick but not overly bitter or hoppy. It's an easy drinking beer with a nice flavor. I highly recommend it, though not everyone likes Shiner's signature flavor.

@onin said:

Gahhh! They don't ship to Texas :/

Well, I guess I won't be ordering any online then. :P

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@nightfang said:

This is cool even through i'm not a beer drinker.

This.

Seeing Hellboy and the Dark Horse on a beer bottle is pretty cool.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This is awesome! Too bad I hate ale! How bout an Abe Sapien Pilsner! Yum!