Harley Quinn Valentine's Day Special

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We have an interview with Amanda and Jimmy on Harley and this issue right HERE.

The Good

Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti appear to have no shortage of stories when it comes to Harley Quinn. Along with their regular monthly HARLEY QUINN series, we've also been seeing different one-shots. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, we fittingly get a special to celebrate the occasion.

In a story that's perfect for Harley and could only be written by Conner and Palmiotti, Harley's attention shifts to a benefit auction to benefit the Wayne Foundation Animal Shelter. The prize is a date with the dreamy Bruce Wayne. Harley's hormones are revving as she decides she needs to find a way to come up with the winning bid in order to get a date with Wayne. It's silly and goofy but entertaining at the same time.

This isn't just a character going gaga over someone. We do get the typical Harley shenanigans we've come to expect from Conner and Palmiotti. Unlike some one-shots, this story feels like it'd fit in perfectly with the regular series. Her supporting cast is all here. John Timms handles the majority of the art (there are some dream sequences drawn by others). Timms captures the feel we've come to expect now, especially since he's worked on a couple of the regular issues.

The Bad

Maybe it's her hormones but there were a couple times I groaned a little ("Yabba dabba do me!"). The story gets a little absurd but that's why we can enjoy this version of Harley. As long as you know what you're going into, you should have no problem enjoying this special.

The Verdict

Since the start of Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti's HARLEY QUINN series, we've been seeing a slight departure in the New 52 Universe. The writing duo is having a blast writing Harley and it shows when you read their books. You sometimes hear from some people that this isn't the Harley they knew. That's what makes the series fun and different. Having a different tone from other New 52 books lets this book stand apart and breath on its own. With a Valentine's Day theme involving Bruce Wayne, you know it's going to be some big time kooky fun. The art by John Timms is great and we also get some dream sequences with art by Ben Caldwell and Aaron Campbell. This is the sort of book that allows you sit back and simply have a good time while you read it.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When will this crap get canceled?

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why it would be canceled when people are buying it.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@astro_zombie78: I don't have the specific sales but this title actually sells really well. Or are you just trolling?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Exactly. If it wasn't selling and there wasn't a demand, DC wouldn't be putting out the regular series, all these "specials," plus the upcoming miniseries.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Not trolling just an honest opinion. I read the first couple of issues and hated it. Simply an opinion.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@astro_zombie78: "When will this crap get canceled?" isn't an opinion. It's just unrealistic wishful thinking, considering Harley is DC's 2nd top selling character right now.

For what it's worth, it boggles my mind how this series is selling so well. But it does, and you can bet DC is going to milk it for all it's worth. Just don't buy it and don't read it, I guess.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@self-dceit: It's a fun & wacky read.

And I'm glad DC have someone that can be wacky & loved like like deadpool.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: I get it, but in my book "fun & wacky" doesn't equal "good", let alone "top-selling". It's not even particularly well-executed to mine eyes. But far from me to rain on the parade of those who are enjoying it, and DC is laughing all the way to the bank anyway. Different strokes, cups of tea, etc.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

Not all books can be, or should be, for everyone. Different books for people with different tastes is a great thing. If all books had the same feel, it'd be boring as heck. There are some other books that have changed direction and I know it's not for me. It stinks in some ways but it's good if it brings in more readers. That's something the industry can benefit from.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@g_man said:

Not all books can be, or should be, for everyone. Different books for people with different tastes is a great thing. If all books had the same feel, it'd be boring as heck. There are some other books that have changed direction and I know it's not for me. It stinks in some ways but it's good if it brings in more readers. That's something the industry can benefit from.

Exactly! And the "DC is milking this character" argument is getting old also. If you were to own a business and had a high selling product, wouldn't you put more of that product out there to sell? Seems like good business to me. And by the way, I thought this was a fun read! And great review also!

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this issue..4.7/5

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mak13131313: It's like it's a bad thing to give people more of what they want. As long as people are buying something, why not sell it? They are a business. A creative one. They're not going to make horrible decisions and risk losing a bunch of money. No one will be able to please everyone. That's why you take risks occasionally to see what works and what doesn't.

I even asked them what they'd say to those that don't like the direction. Interview here: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/interview-amanda-conner-jimmy-palmiotti-talk-harle/1100-151287/

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think every single Harley Quinn NEW 52 comic book that's come out till now has been consistently well written and drawn. I just love her in general and anyone who thinks her comic book should be cancelled, well, I'll be sure to swing a giant wooden mallet at your face the next time I see you at a roller rink :D

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@g_man: I read your interview with them and it was excellent. Their answer to that question was perfect.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I may not be a fan of the new comics but Harley does come across as the older series that were very off-beat. My step-daughter loves this character, no matter how's she's written. In fact, this will be my V-day gift for her.

In some ways she reminds of the Justice League of the 90s that was "run" by Maxwell Lord. It was humorous and silly, at times.

selfproclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By selfproclaimed

i like the harley quinn comics because its generally fun

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I need MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the BATGIRL!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This book isn't afraid to go to certain places. Seeing Batman in different stages of a particular situation was hilarious.

Good fun.