gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

GREEN LANTERN CORPS has been really interesting these past few issues. It's hard to go into this issue without thinking how it's the final one of the series. With John Stewart facing the possible destruction of a planet (again), we get a great look into certain events from the past. In an almost sneaky way, we see how Van Jensen connects certain dots and expands upon a story plot that involved Abin Sur. Jensen pushes the Lanterns and shows their heroic nature, even when the odds are stacked against them. For forty issues, this series has told the stories of the Lantern Corps. It's unfortunate to see this chapter come to a close but Jensen delivers a really nice closing page. You are left with a feeling of hope despite the dark times that may be coming up after Convergence.

The art and colors here are pretty stellar. We've been praising Bernard Chang's art for some time. Seeing the story mixed with some art by Mirko Colak gives an interesting feel. Normally I frown upon different artists on the same issue but it really works here. The Lantern books are all about color. Marcelo Maiolo and Tony Avina make the pages shine in a glorious fashion. We get some really cool scenes and images along with a really freaky looking nemesis. All this makes for an fun and exciting read.

The Bad

The issue does give a nice last page but it does leave you wanting a little more. It makes sense that this series is being kept separate from whatever the new creative team will do with the characters when they return (in GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY). We get a really cool final battle and that feeling of hope I mentioned. Closing out the status of the rest of the Corps would have been nice.

The mix of the two styles of art did work but there was one point it was just a tiny bit distracting seeing a shift.

The Verdict

All good things must come to an end. We've witnessed a great run on this series. We've been able to see John Stewart and others shine. This final battle has a really great feel to it with some stellar visuals by the artists and colorists. We may have a tiny idea of what's coming next for some of the characters after Convergence. It would have been nice to see some sort of set up, if even a tiny one. That's not really a fault of this issue though. Jensen does John Stewart and the Green Lantern Corps proud in this issue. Bravo to all involved.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

My rating 3/5

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This issue was great. I loved the ending.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ranking of the new 52 green lantern series pre- Third army arc

1. Green Lantern Corps (Tomasi)
2. Green lantern: New guardians ( Bedard)
3. Green Lantern (johns)
4. Red Lanterns ( Milligan)

My Ranking of the green lantern series post- third army arc

1. Red Lanterns (Soule)
2. Green Lantern Corps (Jesnen)
3. Green Lantern: New guardians ( Jordan)
4. Green lantern (Venditti)
5. Larfleez (kollins)
6. Sinestro (Bunn)

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* this is such a bitter sweet moment for me. I have followed this series since Jensen and Chang took over it and it has been so amazing. Seeing John Stewart done right and also seeing the other corps members given prominence was so good. As this comic ends so those my readership of anything DC related. I will miss this comic so much.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

GLC #40 is my favorite Green Lantern issue ever, and this has been my favorite run ever. Jensen, Chang, and Maiolo all hit it out of the park this issue. The writing is brilliant, and the scan below speaks for itself. Just look at those lines and colors!

No Caption Provided

Seriously, this issue is a 6/5 or an 11/10, lol.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the end of the series? That's a shame. I only buy it in trades so I won't be getting to the end for a while anyways, though.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this is the end of John Stewart Xanshi stories.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I really hope this is the end of John Stewart Xanshi stories.

Yeah, I think Jensen fixed that whole ordeal so that it never has to be brought up again.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns pretty powerful right now

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent issue. This has been my favorite Green Lantern run ever.